Seeking to raise seat height... 2007 BMW F800ST - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Gary
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    I am new to the forum and riding.... This is my first bike. It appears to be a normal version as it has the center stand and the stock seat had the BMW manual and tool yet was missing some other tool. I have pictures of my bike on my profile here in the forum. The stock seat is like a horse saddle and surely pushes you FWD as many have said. I located a used Corbin seat from a fellow forum member, and it raised the seat height from like 29 1/2" to about 31".

Here are some questions that I have...

1) Can you adjust the shock preload to lift/lower the bike at all?
    2) Is there a way that I can lift the front part of the seat 1/2 to 1" placing some rubber/wood or anything else under the front plastic piece where the seat sets in?
    3) Any other ideas as to how to add some more seat height w/o purchasing another seat for now? I just made that investment.

I was thinking that maybe I could put washer on the front seat clip/metal piece and then put something under the seat to lift it up yet still have it secured. Not sure how strong that plastic piece is (where the front part locks in) and if it's easily replaced if broken.

I also looked online for inflatable pads and it doesn't seem to be a good resolution from what some replied back to with my question on Amazon.

I'm 6'1" or 73" tall with about 33-34" inseam.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom and council to be shared.

Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Why do you want it higher? If you want more leg room get a foot peg lowering kit. I don't think you can get away with adding washers etc. I have a Russell Daylong on mine and am on my tip toes with my 5'11", 32 in inseam. I can't even touch the ground when it is on the center stand.

There's no preload adjustment, but you can lower the fork tubes in the yokes. Doing so will increase the rake a little bit, but if you aren't pushing it hard in corners then it shouldn't matter.

I tried a knockoff airhawk from Amazon which did raise me even more, but my seat is a different shape than yours. I'll sell it to you dirt cheap. It was too tall for me.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Gary
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Hey Cramer.... WoW I love your bike! Your seat looks AMAZING! I bet that's comfortable. Never heard of that brand. I thought the 2 competitors were Sargent and Corbin... Do you know what your seat height is? How did that change your seat height from stock? I heard that stock height is 32". I didn't get a change to try out modifying the seat with some washers or others to boost it up today. Focused on the brake light always on issue, still no success as to what the cause is for that....

What do you mean by the "rake"? How would that affect cornering? As for the preload adjustment, one of the salesman at the BMW dealer who came out to check my bike, showed me the tool that you use to turn the circle plastic knob to adjust, I believe he said the preload. Whatever that is, I was wondering if that raises or lowers the bike any, or if it just makes the shocks stiffer or looser, and then how would that affect ride?

I'm interested in checking out your knockoff airhawk, please send me some more information. Did it raise you up at all or?

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Max
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Gary - looks like you're running the BMW low seat - or a close copy of it.

Seats came in 2 variants, high (normal?/common) & low. Got both with my bike ... here's it with the high on:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210212_144653.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	374379

(would put this as my profile image but its too big a file apparently).

You can see it's thick enough to have the 'swoosh' at the front, and has the ass-location (TM) triangle behind the rider ... over all abt 2 inches thicker than the low?
    Guess the BMW idea was to have hig/low seats as optional parts as well as high/low suspension as a factory option for gertting rider comfort?
    Personally have the high seat and footpeg lowers on as per the pic.

HTH

Real Name
    Cramer
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Mine came with the Russell when I bought it 8 years ago. I've never tried a stock seat. Everyone I know with an ST has a custom seat. I think a lot of the perceived height is the wideness as opposed to actual height,, so your feet can't touch the ground even though it's not much taller than stock.

The preload you mention is the rear shock. Tightening it will lower the rear end, but it will be too stiff unless you are really heavy. The manual has a guide for setting the preload and damper.

Rake is the angle of the forks in relation to the frame. A longer rake means the bike is a bit longer because the angle is increased. This would happen of you slide the forks down in the yokes until the tops are eaven with the top of the top yoke. Typically they stick through about .5 inches. Keep in mind that this wouldn't have any impact on leg room or knee bend.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Max
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    Mine came with the Russell when I bought it 8 years ago. I've never tried a stock seat. Everyone I know with an ST has a custom seat.
    Interesting - the stock ST seat is one of the best I've had on a BMW - can ride for 8+ hrs a day on it, compared to
    K1200RS - abt 4hrs then started needing breaks frequently
    R1100GS - abt 2 hrs before pain, literally
    K1100RS - stock seat was diabolical, some dipstick engineer put a strengthening 'hump' in the new plastic seat pan, ended up modifying a K75 metal one with stock foam, back to 6+hrs
    other K100s - all had the flat pan under each seating position & abt 2 1/2inches of good foam, some dual-grade foam too.

Agree that seats & riding position are by nature highly individual ... I have been having some fun with http://cycle-ergo.com/ the last couple of bikes, comparing what I found comfortable with others; interesting l found the ST with the stock seat, no bar risers & my footpegs dropped is about what I had with my original barn-door fairing K100RT!! (wayback around 1990 )

Anyway, sorry to get off topic but hope that website helps someone