Looking for advice on an 09 F800ST - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

5 Days Ago
    Hi BMW Gurus:

I'm looking to buy a fairly high mile (43K) 2009 F800ST. It has some minor cosmetic issues and 1 or 2 seemingly minor electrical issues (The bike has been converted to LED lamps).

Several questions before I buy:

1. It has a "SERVICE LAMP" error and the right front turn lamp is not working. The owner says the error is because the LED lamp was damaged by water, which sounds like a simple fix. Due to the CAN bus on these bikes, I'm concerned this error could be more serious than just replacing a lamp assembly. Is this a valid concern, or are the CAN busses on these bikes fairly robust?

2. Is 43K miles too many?

3. What else should I check before purchase?

4. Should I just find another bike without known issues?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Kirk

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Randy
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    On a 12-year-old bike, I would be more worried about the mechanics than the ancillary electronics. If the bike is mechanically sound, I would go with it. A lot would depend on how handy you are. 43K is a lot of miles, but you should be able to double that amount without too many worries. Does the bike look like it has been maintained well bythe previous owner/s?
    Check the condition of the tires, brakes, belt,steering head, engine and shocks. Is it leaking any fluids? How does it ride? Does the transmission shift well? If those are all positive, you ought to be in good shape.
    Set aside some cash to change all the fluids, replace worn parts and get the electrics fixed.
    Good luck
    2010 F800ST 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    i had 57K miles on my 08 ST when i whacked a deer and kinda killed the bike. I wasn't willing to spend the $4K to restore the bike and cashed it in.
    I had given up on dealer maintenance after 24K miles due to the cost of service. The bike was running well and I had no problems. I was on the original belt too and it seemed to be in good fettle. I've run several BMW's past the 100K mile point so 47K miles is a pittance.
    i just bought a F750GS on a lark because it was the 40th anniversary issue and I had the original '89 Bumble Bee version. So I'm hoping it provides as much pleasure as the original did.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    14 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    There's a LAMP error and a dead bulb. Pretty good chance one is related to the other.

CANbus is a network for communications between controllers and devices. In this case "how's that bulb doing? Are voltages in the expected range? No? Okay, alert the rider by displaying LAMP. It's a very robust system.

Check the rubber bits (tires, belt) for age related deterioration, and the last time fluids were changed. Two sets of keys?
    Concrete remains undefeated.