Front Brake Assembly Leaking Fluid - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Hi all,

New F800GS rider, and new rider in general. Apologies for lack of knowledge on correct terminology, but wanted to check with this group on something that just happened with my bike...

The bike is an 09 F800GS with about 38K miles, I've prob put another 500 or so on it in the last couple weeks since I purchased it. Everything has been dandy so far, but I was just moving the bike around in the garage and when I pulled the front brake it felt "loose" and a bunch of brake fluid squirted out of the little valve with the cap on it where the brake line attaches to the lever assembly. I noticed the nut on the top of the valve was loose so I tightened it down carefully with some pliers and now the brakes feel normal again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4069.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	374493

Did this nut just work itself loose somehow? Is there anything else I should do or check to prevent this from happening again?

Best,
    Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Weeks Ago
    Its a bleed screw and if loose fluid will squirt out and any air. I wonder if some one bled the brakes and forgot to tighten it up. As you've nipped it up and presuming your fluid level is ok and the brakes have pressure you should be fine. Keep an eye on it in case they're is another reason for it coming loose such as knackered threads.

Real Name
    Phil
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    You may need to top up the fluid reservoir depending on how much fluid escaped. There's a chance it may have sucked air in at the bleed screw depending how long it was before you shut it off. If it feels okay no problem but it would do no harm to bleed it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    This would not typically work itself loose. (If for no other reason than that would be really bad, unsafe engineering.)

More likely the result of the last person to touch the valve.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

Real Name
    Phil
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Also, make sure the fluid has not contaminated the disc and pads. Easy to clean off the disc with brake cleaner but pads more difficult to clean and would possibly need replacing.

4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Thanks all, super helpful...

I definitely did not touch this screw myself, and agree that it seems odd/suspect that it could come loose itself. Thankfully I noticed it immediately so I think only 2 brake pumps-worth of fluid escaped. My level in the reservoir looks good and I examined the whole front end of the bike and cleaned up all the fluid - don't believe any made its way anywhere near the rotor/pads.

I actually have a service appointment with BMW tomorrow to do a full inspection of the bike and I'm going to make sure to mention this happened to see what they think, and see if they believe bleeding the brake would be a good idea for peace of mind. I've yet to do a bleed myself so happy to let someone who knows what they are doing make sure the bike is all buttoned up before I begin any wrenching of my own.

9. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Nigel
    16 Hours Ago
    Wise decision to get it checked by a competent mechanic.

Brake failure while riding due to a leaking bleed valve is best avoided on health grounds.

From your picture it looks like that particular bleed valve is at the master cylinder side rather than the caliper side. Either way it was dangerous and should not have leaked in the 500 miles of your ownership.

Who sold you the bike? If it was my bike, I'd be inclined to have a serious conversation with them on how the machine was prepared for sale.

Ride safety.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

11. Likes MGD109 liked this post

4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Agreed… I’m a bit disappointed this happened, especially since I purchased the bike from a well established consignment dealer in Denver - Motorado. They said they had done a full inspection of the bike and addressed any minor issues, like fluid levels and whatnot, before sale.

However, they also let me know that the previous owner had done all of his own maintenance work, so difficult to say whom is at fault. Hoping a through inspection by the BMW techs gets me on more solid footing moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBits View Post
    Wise decision to get it checked by a competent mechanic.

Brake failure while riding due to a leaking bleed valve is best avoided on health grounds.

From your picture it looks like that particular bleed valve is at the master cylinder side rather than the caliper side. Either way it was dangerous and should not have leaked in the 500 miles of your ownership.

Who sold you the bike? If it was my bike, I'd be inclined to have a serious conversation with them on how the machine was prepared for sale.

Ride safety.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

2 Days Ago
    Might be worth checking if your wife has increased your life insurance too...... 😉