screws may be stripped during windscreen change - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Hi All,
    There are 3 screws that hold the windscreen on to the metal plate. I was changing out from the original (my summer screen) to the Madstad (fall, winter). When I put the Madstad on I was unable to fully tighten the two outside screws as if they were stripped or not grabbing the thread. The middle one is fine, but both outers look like they are halfway in. I am unable now to screw them out, either (just keeps turning). I tried to see if I could get underneath to check what the screw screws into but it's very tight in there. Only detail to add is that I used a drop of the medium (blue) locktite on each before inserting.
    I don't think I stripped the screws as they seemed to go in fine. Anyone experienced this? Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Best,
    Corey
    2007 F800ST

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    You have to angle them outward (at the top) just right for the threads to catch. That happens to me because I added spacers under the top two which messes up the normal angle. I also replaced the boots with longer ones because they have to be in so far before they grab the thread. It takes me many tries wiggling them around at different angles to get them to grab.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ccramerusc; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:13 PM.
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Hi Cramer,
    I think you are referring to the phillips screws connecting the Madstad screen to the Madstad hardware, correct? My issue is with the (2 out of 3) Torx screws that screw the brackets into the metal plate on the bike.
    Thanks,
    Corey

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I don't have a madstad screen. I just mean the two screws that go into the upper fairing (of the 3 that would normally hold the stock screen) need to go in on an angle, plus the threads are pretty deep before they start.

08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    I don't have a madstad screen. I just mean the two screws that go into the upper fairing (of the 3 that would normally hold the stock screen) need to go in on an angle, plus the threads are pretty deep before they start.

Oh, that makes sense, thanks. So for the two bolts you are saying that the heads of the bolts need to be angled outward in order to catch the thread. That's a good idea to get a longer bolt, too.
    Much appreciated,
    Corey

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Yes, heads outward with threads angled inward