BMW F800 Forum banner

Agressive throttle pickup issue

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  explorit 
#1 ·
Hi all.
I'm new here, so let me first just say how wonderful it is to have this great platform to read, share and consult with so many experienced riders.

I have a new (to me) 2014 F800GT that I believe has some kind of a throttle related issue.
The throttle pickup from 0 is quite aggressive and results in kind of a nasty 'kick-in-the-back' push forward.
When I wind open the throttle extremely lightly I can overcome it and make a smooth pickup, but I really have to concentrate in order to nail it [:D]

Has anyone experienced this? if so - how did you solve it?

thanks a million!
Dror

#2 ·
I suspect that many people might say "they all do that, sir". :rolleyes: That is common with many older fuel injection systems. My 2009 F650GS (the same engine as you have) does the same thing and I have managed to live with it. I had similar issues with my 2000, 2002 and 2007 BMW R1200R models. But I will say that my latest 2016 BMW R1200RS has a much smoother throttle response, so the fuel injection systems are improving likely because of both experience with the technology, faster fuel injection computers with more complicated programs, along with improved intake tract hardware and designs. It is tough to beat an old carburetor when it comes to smooth throttle action when it is properly designed and jetted. But they can no longer meet current emission regulations when used on most engines.

#6 ·
Hi all.
I wish to thank you for your replies. I think I learned quite a lot already.
Mainly, I think that I've been comparing the bike's behaviour with the bike it replaced: a 2016 R1200GSA that I had and loved for 2 years before replacing it with the F800GT.
Truth be told - it was just far too big and heavy for my daily usage, but it was also electronically governed and faaaaar more technologically advanced than the bike that followed. [:D]
It's not that the GSA is super smooth, but with it's ride-by-wire throttle and other tech it felt smooth as silk in comparison with the GT.

#8 ·
There has been a huge amount of discussion on this topic over the last, say, 12 or so years! I felt it was an issue certainly with my '12 ST and even to a lesser degree with my '19 GT, one of the last built, ride by wire and all!
I found that each of the following measures produced an incremental improvement, not necessarily in any order.

1.Throttle position sensor (TPS)reset.
Key ON
Throttle fully open
Hold open for 3 seconds
Return to closed for three seconds
Repeat 4 times
Turn key off for 15 seconds Start motor.

2. Ensure cable is lubricated and running freely.

3. Consider increasing grip diameter using " Grip Puppies" or similar foam grip add-ons. This helps to reduce the throttle sensitivity.

4 Consider installing mixture enrichment device such as AF-XIED. I got significant improvement using BoosterPLug on both bikes. (www.boosterplug.com )

Hope this is some help - worked for me!

Cheers, Ian A

#9 ·
I feel like I am one of those old school riders who mostly just adjusts to the bike and not the other way around, except for comfort mods. On cars I do tunes but on bikes? I was taught this back in 1982: “If you are always hitting the red line you need a bigger bike.” Now that motorcycles are so much lighter it is even more true as most people can handle a liter bike or bigger, when back then they were tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.