BMW F800 Forum banner

Number Plate Removal?

998 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mav617 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Seems like a real noob question, but I got my F800GT (2017) delivered yesterday and want to put my private plate on. However, it seems there is some kind of anti-tamper shroud and I can see no way to actually get at the nuts holding the plate on. There is like a D shaped cut out in the rear fender that someone mentioned at the lower mounting screw but that is blocked by a Torx screw that again I can't see how you access it? Nothing I can see under the seat and this is really frustrating that such a simple job seems nigh on impossible........

#2 · (Edited)
Are you able to contact the prior owner? Or, maybe some googling to find a similar device and then hopefully gain some insights?

This sounds like an aftermarket piece? Or maybe a European configuration? No tricks or special techniques on my stock setup, but I am in North America.

#3 ·
Hi
I have just done this myself last week and was also totally puzzled, I had unscrewed the plastic number plate bolt before I realised I couldn't get at the holding nut, which was rattling away somewhere inside the mudguard.

If you look under the mudguard, behind the number plate, you should see a torx screw head (roughly on a line about half way up the number plate), from memory it's a 25. If you undo / remove this (there's enough room between the rear tyre and the guard), you should be able to push on the bottom of the mudguard whilst holding the number plate which allows the two parts of the mudguard to open up enough to get your hand in to hold the nut. There are three mounting points, I used the two top ones for the plastic bolts and a double sided pad for the lower centre one (the dealer had used this method on the original fixing)
The torx is held by a captive nut fixed into the mudguard so it's just a case of lining up and tightening.

p.s. buy your number plate from a local supplier, I bought one off ebay, to bs standard supposedly, but the digits were larger than the normally used and the plate looked like it should have been on an HGV

Hope the above helps.

#4 ·
Thanks Filonian, problem I have is the Torx is screwed through from the other side, i.e. the head is not exposed, only the end of the thread. The head of the screw must be between the plate and the mudguard and I'm damned if I can see any way to get at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.