Seeking help from community: F800r 2012 tpms issue - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

4 Weeks Ago
    Dear All,

I need help.
    I own an F800R 2012 model.

Unfortunately I live in Islamabad, Pakistan where there is no official BMW service centre so we have to reply of the "un-official" mechanics who do their best.
    My machine has been showing ABS alarm, meaning ABS used to switch off by itself. Upon diagnosis, I was told the TPMS battery could be the issue. We tried to change the battery but didn't work (I know its a workaround but didn't have any option as no spare parts locally available)

Then I was forced to order the new TPS which costed a lot (the sensor plus the customs). Now the new sensors arrived were slightly different (As I was told by mechanic) and upon inquiry, I was told this is what BMW is sending and supporting for my bike and this should work.

Now the mechanic is unable to register this sensor at all (he has used all the numbers mentioned on the new sensor as ID). I am attaching the photos.

Ideally I would like the new (very costly ) TPS to work. May be we are missing something interns of registering it with the bike. May be wrong ID. Else, I will try to find another set of sensors and these ones will go waisted.

Any help with be GREAT Help.

Many thanks for reading.

Br
    Hassan.
    Islamabad, Pakistan. Click image for larger version.

Name:	Existing Sensor.png
Views:	30
Size:	985.9 KB
ID:	374825Click image for larger version.

Name:	New Sensor 2.png
Views:	27
Size:	851.1 KB
ID:	374827Click image for larger version.

Name:	New Sensor 3.png
Views:	26
Size:	877.5 KB
ID:	374829Click image for larger version.

Name:	New Sensor 4.png
Views:	26
Size:	881.4 KB
ID:	374831

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    I'm not sure where the link from the ABS sensor issue means you've replaced the tyre pressure sensor.

Did you get the error codes read?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting

4 Weeks Ago
    Hi. The error codes were for TPMS. The ABS sensor was fine and no errors as such. The TPMS used to stop sending reading sometimes which was supposedly turning off ABS. For now, I am looking for someone to help me register the new TPMS sensor please. I don't even know which one of the IDs to register (from the attached photo) as none is registering.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Can he see the current registered TPMS? that should guide him to what numbers to use on that sensor.

Of what i have read you need to wake them up, in order for them to become active and found by whatever tool you are using to register them.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting

Real Name
    Phil
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    Howdy,

This youtube video might help. Watch from the 4:00 minute mark.
    Regards,
    Phil.

Real Name
    Andrew
    21 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    In my experience, the TPMS code is not printed on the device but read electronically. These devices "wake up" the sensor and capture the id number. Many automotive tire shops carry such a tool (hopefully, in Islamabad too.) You would just need to bring the sensor to the shop.

On different note, Welcome! I enjoy seeing new members and learning where they are located in the world.
    Concrete remains undefeated.

1 Week Ago
    I rebuilt a TPMS years ago and have had it installed...but it took a awhile to replace the other at dealership. The dealer service nowadays says they won't register indicating they are both bad. They must expect me to replace them both. I'm going to dig out my receipts and see which dealer replaced the one and probably get the setup shown in the youtube clip and try and register them myself

4 Hours Ago
    hrbaloch . Its three weeks since this post, did you solve the problem?. I replaced my own TPMS in the rear wheel last week. If I can help let me know.

Real Name
    Andrew
    21 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackieburger View Post
    hrbaloch . Its three weeks since this post, did you solve the problem?. I replaced my own TPMS in the rear wheel last week. If I can help let me know.
    Tell us how you went about this. Did you purchase and install and program yourself?
    Concrete remains undefeated.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mariner View Post
    Howdy,

This youtube video might help. Watch from the 4:00 minute mark.
    That is the video I used to change my own TPMS sensors. The tool he shows costs about $14 on Amazon.

I cannot imagine any way the ABS is connected to the TPMS.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

4 Hours Ago
    I bought two new Schrader sensors from China 18.80 for the pair plus 6.72 for P+P from a well known website - W***.
    I bought the TPSM activator Model no 50448.
    The OBD Link interface plug model LX101, (my bike is a 2018 model earlier models need a round one I BELIEVE. CHECK YOUR PLUG)
    Then I had to buy the Motoscan app. about 20-30 .
    I took the rear wheel off, the front sensor was working. I took the tyre of(just one side to get at the unit. i took the unit off and dug out all the
    black resin to get at the battery. Sure enough it was reading less then 0.5v..I renewed the battery and used hot glue to hold it in place
    then I tried to wake it up- no luck- so i didn't bother any longer with it, instead used one of the new ones I'd bought from China.
    Switching on the bike ignition after connecting the LX101 and after pairing with the motoscan app on my android phone-going into the motoscan app
    to the appropriate section F800/RDC I pressed the button on the 50448 activator and the readout on the motoscan showed the ID code ( which IS written on the side of these sensors
    that I'd bought. I did not expect that, seeing as how little I'd paid for them. I put the tyre back on, balanced the wheel, put it back on the bike and
    went for a ride- within 100 yards it was working perfectly. How did i learn to do it? You Tube.
    You are supposed to do both at the same time but I had such a difficult time with the rear tyre, and since the front was working anyway, i will do it at the next tyre change.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	another view of the new one.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	375041Click image for larger version.

Name:	Make sure it's on the right way.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	375043Click image for larger version.

Name:	New Chinese with ID stamp.jpg
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	375045Click image for larger version.

Name:	One of the new ones from China.jpg
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	375047Click image for larger version.

Name:	Original TPMS battery dug out.jpg
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	375049Click image for larger version.

Name:	The diagnostic plug for a 2018  F800.jpg
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	375051Click image for larger version.

Name:	The tool to wake up the sensors.jpg
Size:	650.6 KB
ID:	375053Click image for larger version.

Name:	what you need.jpg
Size:	951.4 KB
ID:	375055
    Last edited by Blackieburger; 2 Days Ago at 11:48 AM. Reason: adding pics

14. Likes Lag, BoxerBits liked this post