Stop me please - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry



Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Points: 11, Level: 1

    Joined
    Nov 2021
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    4 / 0 / 0 / 0
    New rider, new to the forum. I’m
    Looking at my first bike, an F700 gs with 20k Miles (‘13). I’ve been able to get on one locally, but have found a super clean one a bit further away…as in 900 miles away. It’s at a dealership. Logistically it’s tough.
    As a new rider, I don’t think getting there and taking it for a quick ride doesn’t seem like I’m going to learn a lot more than than the one I’ve already seen.the dealer sent me a detailed video of the bike and has the service info.

    I’m considering buying it and having it shipped without sitting on it.

    Somebody please tell me this is a poor idea.

    Or is it?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    Richard230's Avatar
    Points: 305,112, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Richard
    Location
    Pacifica, California
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Online
    3 Hours Ago
    Posts
    10,622 / 15 / 698 / 2031
    Welcome to the forum Jpsco. I doubt you will find many people here that wouldn't recommend the F700 model. They are great bikes and 20K miles on the clock means that the engine is just starting to loosen up, especially if the seller can provide you with service records. If you take care of it, you should get over 100K miles from that model. Buying from a dealer can be a good idea as they typically tend to only accept stock bikes with proper service records as trade-ins. But if you test ride the local bike and it doesn't appear to have any issues, then that might be the way to go. If you have a friend who is a motorcycle enthusiast, and especially one who is familiar with BMWs, you might have him (or her ) go with you and check the bike over too.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.†

  4. #3
    Points: 11, Level: 1

    Joined
    Nov 2021
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    4 / 0 / 0 / 0
    The bike I’ve been on locally dues have a few things of concern (including another 10k miles) that will need to be taken care of right away, such as brakes, chain/sprocket, valve adjust, rough start noises, etc.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

  6. #4
    Richard230's Avatar
    Points: 305,112, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Richard
    Location
    Pacifica, California
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Online
    3 Hours Ago
    Posts
    10,622 / 15 / 698 / 2031
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpsco View Post
    The bike I’ve been on locally dues have a few things of concern (including another 10k miles) that will need to be taken care of right away, such as brakes, chain/sprocket, valve adjust, rough start noises, etc.
    That doesn't sound good. Those repairs can be expensive, especially if performed by a BMW dealer. Rough start noises could be a problem with the cam chain or its tensioner. If that is the case that could add another $1k to the cost of repairs. I have never had any of those issues with my 2009 F650GS (the previous model) and I now have 48k miles on the clock. You might want to consider the bike that is being sold by the dealer 900 miles away, if you can afford it.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.†

  7. Likes Roy Barnes liked this post
  8. #5
    AKBeemer's Avatar
    Points: 9,396, Level: 67

    Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    482 / 0 / 2 / 52
    Ask the dealer if they will provide a 30 day warranty. Even a two week warranty would protect you from a catastrophe.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl

  9. #6
    Daboo's Avatar
    Points: 80,965, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Chris
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Online
    Posts
    5,019 / 0 / 9 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    If I read this right, the dealer is 900 miles away. Any warranty they offer, is worthless unless they are willing to pay for repairs locally for wherever the OP lives.

    I'm wondering if the OP really knows these things need changing, or if he is just listing the items to be serviced on the maintenance schedule. He did say he's a new rider. Does it really need a valve adjustment? Are the brakes really in need of changing now? If so, just get the seller to knock the price down in the negotiations. None of those things are deal breakers.

    As for a noise on startup...is that the normal sound of the cam chain tensioner? If so, the bike at the dealership may have the same noise. Put the bike in neutral while idling, and it sounds decidedly agricultural...and is completely normal.

    I'd use this list of maintenance items to negotiate the price lower...and save the money on the shipping of the other bike. You can't just look at the list price of both bikes and count that as equal. That shipping cost will be quite a few dollars. That's part of the cost. If he rents a trailer to pick it up himself, the cost of the trailer and a night on the road, is part of the cost of the bike.

    And do both bikes have the same mods? Does one include saddlebags, and the other doesn't? That's over $1000 right there. So if the local bike has those and the dealer's bike doesn't...that would make me go for the local bike more.

    BTW, this is the perfect time to buy a bike. No one else is actively looking to buy a motorcycle right now. No one is competing for that bike. It's a buyer's market, and potentially the local seller especially, will get desperate to get it out of his garage.

    Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

    John 14:6

  10. #7
    Points: 7,905, Level: 62

    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Online
    15 Hours Ago
    Posts
    459 / 0 / 0 / 6
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    I agree with Daboo, above. You are a newbie to these bikes and therefore sounds can be misleading. If you expect a motorcycle engine to sound like a sewing machine, these BMW models do not even when new. I really hate to recommend buying a bike without riding it, so I will not do that, but ...
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  11. #8
    Points: 11, Level: 1

    Joined
    Nov 2021
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    4 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Thank you for your input.everyone.

    Yes, my checklist of questionable items was made and discussed as part of negotiations. Yes, there were multiple items that require not “immediate” attention, aka, I could ride it away, but items like brakes pads (measured) chain/sprockets (no room for adding tension left), tires (beyond done, measured) are in need of attention. This has little effect during “negotiation”.


    So….the search continues.
    I may take the advice and do a long road trip with a co worker that rides.
    Seems like a fun few days.
    Thanks all!!!

  12. #9
    guenner's Avatar
    Points: 3,656, Level: 40

    Real Name
    Guenther
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Online
    13 Hours Ago
    Posts
    137 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    chain/sprockets (no room for adding tension left)
    I can't see how this could be with originally teethed sprockets.

    I change my sprockets/chain about every 20k miles. So either bike must have a recent sprocket/chain change or, it's about due.

    I would ask the dealer if the bike was served at their dealership and whether they have any service records for you.

    I had my first valve check at 32k miles - no adjustment needed.

    My 2017 F700GS always rattles after start for about 3 seconds when cold.
    2017 F700GS - I wish she had a drive shaft.†

  13. Likes 308bever liked this post
  14. #10
    Points: 11, Level: 1

    Joined
    Nov 2021
    Online
    6 Hours Ago
    Posts
    4 / 0 / 0 / 0
    The list of items is for the more local bike with 30k on it.
    Im containing my search, no immediate need.

  15. #11
    jechase's Avatar
    Points: 8,323, Level: 63

    Real Name
    Jim E
    Location
    Hixson, Tennessee, United
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Online
    5 Days Ago
    Posts
    11 / 0 / 8 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    What Dealership is the bike located if I may ask ?

  16. #12
    Points: 1,164, Level: 19

    Real Name
    Randy
    Location
    Latonia, Kentucky
    Joined
    May 2020
    Online
    2 Days Ago
    Posts
    13 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpsco View Post
    New rider, new to the forum. Iím
    Looking at my first bike, an F700 gs with 20k Miles (Ď13). Iíve been able to get on one locally, but have found a super clean one a bit further awayÖas in 900 miles away. Itís at a dealership. Logistically itís tough.
    As a new rider, I donít think getting there and taking it for a quick ride doesnít seem like Iím going to learn a lot more than than the one Iíve already seen.the dealer sent me a detailed video of the bike and has the service info.

    Iím considering buying it and having it shipped without sitting on it.

    Somebody please tell me this is a poor idea.

    Or is it?
    I was in a similar situation this year. I'm near Cincinnati and found an R1200RT in Colorado that "looked" great...options, mileage, records, etc. I thought about it for a while, got shipping quotes and thought some more. Finally, I just drove out there and hauled it back in a U-Haul trailer. I questioned my sanity the whole time. It's now my favorite bike and I plan to sell my F800ST. Maybe I was just lucky....but....I had an interesting drive (actually cheaper to ship it the 1200 miles) and got what I wanted instead of "settling" for something pretty close. YMMV, but I'd suggest going with your gut feeling. Good luck in whatever you decide!

  17. #13
    dkrage's Avatar
    Points: 950, Level: 17

    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio area
    Joined
    Aug 2020
    Online
    1 Week Ago
    Posts
    1 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpsco View Post
    New rider, new to the forum. I’m
    Looking at my first bike, an F700 gs with 20k Miles (‘13). I’ve been able to get on one locally, but have found a super clean one a bit further away…as in 900 miles away. It’s at a dealership. Logistically it’s tough.
    As a new rider, I don’t think getting there and taking it for a quick ride doesn’t seem like I’m going to learn a lot more than than the one I’ve already seen.the dealer sent me a detailed video of the bike and has the service info.

    I’m considering buying it and having it shipped without sitting on it.

    Somebody please tell me this is a poor idea.

    Or is it?
    Jpsco...Sorry in advance for looong post...I hope this helps you out .
    In the summer of 2020 I was in the exact same position you are in now. I wanted to get back into riding after about 25 yrs (read: I was a NOOB), so I started researching and hunting. I landed on a '13 F700GS with 22k on the clock. It was not perfect, but whole and in decent usable shape. It had a few nice upgrades already, the Vario side cases, and the price was on budget. I just bought it on the spot, trailered it home and started in. I did a full detail (you really learn about your bike this way), some routine maintenance (oil, filter, air cleaner, chain) added crash bars and Barkbusters, couple other widgets, bought the riding gear (ATTGATT!). Then a couple of MSF BRC's and lots of practice in a parking lot doing low speed stuff...I dropped that thing ALOT, especially at first, so the bars are a little scratched up and a Barkbuster is not exactly in original condition. But, it was not a perfectly pristine bike, so...OK. I learned that the F700GS is an excellent beginner bike that can truly grow with you. It's a little "nervous" in my opinion...very small friction zone...tendency to stall easily (put on a 16T drive sprocket), but this stuff makes you learn the controls that much better. It is vey nimble, reasonably quick and I feel it is pretty forgiving. Then I put some Heidenau K60's on it and took it to a Bill Dragoo DART L1-3 training for four days of learning to ride in dirt, rocks, and sand (kicked my butt!). My little F700GS Donkey did WAY better than I did, did everything the big boxers did, and was much easier to pick up. I learned ALOT, had blast and met some great people. Now, after nearly 8000 miles on it this summer, on paved back roads, superslab, forest roads and a few two-tracks around SE Ohio, the crash bars are a bit more scratched up, but I love this bike. Absolutely NO issues outside of routine maintenance. You will be glad you did this.
    I commute to work on decent days (about 30 miles each way), get 55mpg and lots of enjoyment out of it.

    A couple of thoughts, I'm sure can be found al over this forum...
    - Super clean is nice, but whole and well maintained is the ticket.
    - Yes this engine rattles on startup. I thought this was a problem at first, too, but when I took it in for the 2nd 12k dealer service they didn't even need to adjust the valves. Tech said it was a very solid engine and the noises very normal.
    - Some say the gear shifts are clunky...well, they are. UNLESS you learn to lightly preload the shifter (up or down) with your toe just before rev matching and clutching. With some practice, even I am able to shift the bike quickly and smoothly.
    - Yes, the front suspension dives on firm front braking...so, smooth your brake inputs and balance with the rear coming up to stops.
    - Yes the narrow friction zone and twitchy throttle take a bit to get used to. So, do more practice and you can be smooth.

    So, after all of that, I think you would be making a very good choice to buy an F700GS, even with alot of miles. These are good bikes.

  18. Likes Roy Barnes, Richard230 liked this post
  19. #14
    Points: 3,548, Level: 39

    Real Name
    Marty G
    Location
    Webster (Houston), TX
    Joined
    May 2017
    Online
    3 Days Ago
    Posts
    8 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrage View Post
    Jpsco...Sorry in advance for looong post...I hope this helps you out .
    In the summer of 2020 I was in the exact same position you are in now. I wanted to get back into riding after about 25 yrs (read: I was a NOOB), so I started researching and hunting. I landed on a '13 F700GS with 22k on the clock. It was not perfect, but whole and in decent usable shape. It had a few nice upgrades already, the Vario side cases, and the price was on budget. I just bought it on the spot, trailered it home and started in. I did a full detail (you really learn about your bike this way), some routine maintenance (oil, filter, air cleaner, chain) added crash bars and Barkbusters, couple other widgets, bought the riding gear (ATTGATT!). Then a couple of MSF BRC's and lots of practice in a parking lot doing low speed stuff...I dropped that thing ALOT, especially at first, so the bars are a little scratched up and a Barkbuster is not exactly in original condition. But, it was not a perfectly pristine bike, so...OK. I learned that the F700GS is an excellent beginner bike that can truly grow with you. It's a little "nervous" in my opinion...very small friction zone...tendency to stall easily (put on a 16T drive sprocket), but this stuff makes you learn the controls that much better. It is vey nimble, reasonably quick and I feel it is pretty forgiving. Then I put some Heidenau K60's on it and took it to a Bill Dragoo DART L1-3 training for four days of learning to ride in dirt, rocks, and sand (kicked my butt!). My little F700GS Donkey did WAY better than I did, did everything the big boxers did, and was much easier to pick up. I learned ALOT, had blast and met some great people. Now, after nearly 8000 miles on it this summer, on paved back roads, superslab, forest roads and a few two-tracks around SE Ohio, the crash bars are a bit more scratched up, but I love this bike. Absolutely NO issues outside of routine maintenance. You will be glad you did this.
    I commute to work on decent days (about 30 miles each way), get 55mpg and lots of enjoyment out of it.

    A couple of thoughts, I'm sure can be found al over this forum...
    - Super clean is nice, but whole and well maintained is the ticket.
    - Yes this engine rattles on startup. I thought this was a problem at first, too, but when I took it in for the 2nd 12k dealer service they didn't even need to adjust the valves. Tech said it was a very solid engine and the noises very normal.
    - Some say the gear shifts are clunky...well, they are. UNLESS you learn to lightly preload the shifter (up or down) with your toe just before rev matching and clutching. With some practice, even I am able to shift the bike quickly and smoothly.
    - Yes, the front suspension dives on firm front braking...so, smooth your brake inputs and balance with the rear coming up to stops.
    - Yes the narrow friction zone and twitchy throttle take a bit to get used to. So, do more practice and you can be smooth.

    So, after all of that, I think you would be making a very good choice to buy an F700GS, even with alot of miles. These are good bikes.
    Call me Debbie Downer. Bought my 2014 F700GS from dealer with 777 miles (and many farkles). First few thousand miles were uneventful. Then TX summer showed up, the vacation from hell. Bike overheated in Albuquerque (3-day layover at BMW dealer, who changed radiator cap), then again in Cheyenne, WY (4-day layover at BMW dealer, who ORDERED radiator cap instead of pulling one from the floor model). Overheated again as I got home to Houston (took video of overheating for BMW). Local dealer (NOT the one I bought it from) said they wouldn't go on a "fishing expedition", and to bring it back when it is overheating (really?), guess the video wasn't good enough. So much for ANY BMW warranty (if I *ever* buy another BMW - unlikely - it will be used). Purchased the extended warranty on F700GS (expecting the engine to go south due to multiple overheats), but hardly rode the bike, as how far away did I want to get stranded from home? Fuel pump went out (dealer suggested to put Chevron Techron in the tank and let it soak). I finally replaced the fuel pump myself (with aftermarket) as faster/cheaper than making 2 round-trips to BMW for warranty work that they may or may not cover. BMW warranty doesn't cover "normal wear items" - so if it moves, it's not covered (unless your dealer goes to bat for you). When I pointed out the cracks in the fuel tank, it has been replaced. Twice (currently cracked again). And dealer claims replaced 4 more times before I owned it (so suggest you inspect fuel tank closely before purchase). Besides 2X round-trip to dealer, each replacement required removing/replacing my Touratech luggage and Camel tank. Since the (useless) warranties finally expired, I have replaced the thermostat, drain pipe o-rings, replaced all "pinch" hose clamps with Zebra clamps, mixed up my own antifreeze % dilution (of BMW car antifreeze), topped it off with water-wetter, and did a PROPER fill and bleeding of the cooling system (new crush washers). No issues since, but it hasn't been ridden enough in HOT temperatures to convince me the issue is over. '22 will tell the tale - break it or embrace it. Moral: beware those low mileage garage queens sitting at the dealer - no telling WHY they might have been traded in.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts