BMW F800 Forum banner

UK F800GT Newbie

3K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Right Hand Drive 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

My names Kathy from the South East of the UK in West Sussex. I bought my 2013 bike at the back end of August and within a week of having it was off to Wales for a few days. Must say that this is my second bike since getting my full licence in Sept 2020 and I’m growing very attached to it.

Hoping to get over to Europe as soon as Covid settles down enough and can’t wait. Got some panniers for it this week so ready to go 😁

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, Kathy. I am sure you will enjoy riding your new bike. Which model is it?

#12 ·
Hello and welcome Kathy, from the North East.

I must agree with others that you've got a great motorcycle in the F800GT, I've a 2015 model and 'love my blue beauty'. Perhaps I could suggest you try the Modifications section of this forum for learned ideas + the Classified section for 'bits n pieces'?

Be safe and enjoy, the night's are getting lighter!

Shaun aka Sprint-Man

#13 ·
Have you made any modifications to your bike? I must admit that I leave any mechanical stuff to my partner, as I dont have a clue. I can do the normal bike checks but anything else I would need help! Saying that at the moment at least there isnt anything obvious that I would change on my bike, the only thing Ive done so far it to replace the screen with a Puig smoked coloured touring one, which has stopped any wind buffeting on my helmet, so am really pleased with that change.

#14 ·
Hi Kathy, welcome to the F8 mates club[8D].

As far as screens go you have a good one there, however may I make a suggestion? Have you looked at the Madstad screens? These are fully adjustable up/down, forwards/backwards. Great this time of year when the screen is 3/4 up, keeps wind flow over your helmet and stops buffering. During the simmering hot sunny day's, have the screen low and tilted right back to blow air across you to keep you cool.

I went through three screens before I was brave enough to spend a lot of money on it, but ever since it has been brilliant. The guy's on here who have been around for many years like myself will remember many posts about the Madstad screen, from its inception/introduction to our series of bike the F800 model. They were so long ago I cannot even guide you to them, but they may be raised if you put in Madstad screens in the search box.

I have updated the horns on my ST from the tinny ones to the 119db twins from Nippy Normans, the bike sound like a truck now.

Upgrade the lights to LED's, great for nigh riding.

Bar Backs for your steering bar, this raises and brings it towards you, gives you more of a decent posture and makes riding more pleasurable.

And if you find your stretching your legs during a ride, then complete your seating with and Air Hawk pressure seat. Easy to set up, just blow a little amount of air in and be comfy when riding.

I have these on my bike, and the enhancement I have had in the pleasure of the ride cannot be described, I just do not want to stop, as simple as that.

If you are contemplating any of these things, I suggest the Air Hawk and Horns first.

Stay safe

Flook:cool:

#15 ·
Hi Kathy, welcome to the F8 mates club

As far as screens go you have a good one there, however may I make a suggestion? Have you looked at the Madstad screens? These are fully adjustable up/down, forwards/backwards. Great this time of year when the screen is 3/4 up, keeps wind flow over your helmet and stops buffering. During the simmering hot sunny day's, have the screen low and tilted right back to blow air across you to keep you cool.

I went through three screens before I was brave enough to spend a lot of money on it, but ever since it has been brilliant. The guy's on here who have been around for many years like myself will remember many posts about the Madstad screen, from its inception/introduction to our series of bike the F800 model. They were so long ago I cannot even guide you to them, but they may be raised if you put in Madstad screens in the search box.

I have updated the horns on my ST from the tinny ones to the 119db twins from Nippy Normans, the bike sound like a truck now.

Upgrade the lights to LED's, great for nigh riding.

Bar Backs for your steering bar, this raises and brings it towards you, gives you more of a decent posture and makes riding more pleasurable.

And if you find your stretching your legs during a ride, then complete your seating with and Air Hawk pressure seat. Easy to set up, just blow a little amount of air in and be comfy when riding.

I have these on my bike, and the enhancement I have had in the pleasure of the ride cannot be described, I just do not want to stop, as simple as that.

If you are contemplating any of these things, I suggest the Air Hawk and Horns first.

Stay safe

Flook
Hi Flook

Thanks for all the info, will give me stuff to look at!

#16 ·
Good morning Kathy, I trust that you're fit and well?

May I suggest a 'Fenda Extender' for the front - I used one from Pyramid Plastics &/or a 'Rear Hugger' - I chose a Puig item, both are easy to fit and help to keep the er; rain and detritus away!

I found it easier to fit the fenda extender by taking off the front mudguard (all Torx fittings) but you could do it in-situ?

Any problems, just ask, someone here will help, they are a knowledgeable lot!

Shaun

#18 ·
I fitted the pyramid fender extender and puig rear hugger.. Its easier if you take off the front mudgaurd. Dont just use the sticky pads. I drilled the mudgaurd and also fitted 3 x m4 stainless screws, antivibration "nylock style" nuts along with large washers.
Its stayed put for 2 years ~ 7,000 miles.
The hugger is a bit more troublesome to fit but access is easier after removing the rear wheel. Take care not to damage the m5 threads in the swinging arm. Use hex-head screws. I used stainless steel ones. They need anti-sieze compound on the threads to limit any risk of galvanic corrosion
Good luck :)
Thanks guys, Ill make a list of things you have suggested to have a proper look at all this stuff :)

#17 ·
I fitted the pyramid fender extender and puig rear hugger.. Its easier if you take off the front mudgaurd. Dont just use the sticky pads. I drilled the mudgaurd and also fitted 3 x m4 stainless screws, antivibration "nylock style" nuts along with large washers.
Its stayed put for 2 years ~ 7,000 miles.
The hugger is a bit more troublesome to fit but access is easier after removing the rear wheel. Take care not to damage the m5 threads in the swinging arm. Use hex-head screws. I used stainless steel ones. They need anti-sieze compound on the threads to limit any risk of galvanic corrosion
Good luck :)

#20 ·
Still loving my bike. Being I've got a heated jacket and gloves I've been out a bit when it's be 7 or 8 degrees. I've purchased 40mm extensions as I want to see better behind me, so just waiting for them to turn up. I'm dropping my bmw top box and panniers of at a spray shop on Monday to get the lids sprayed white to match my bike. Can't wait.

#23 ·
Kathy, DO NOT fit anything to your bike just now - just enjoy the rides!. [8D] Get some miles on the wheels first and then decide what is really necessary. Otherwise your bike will be sitting more in the garage than on the road. Like mine...

Reactions: Flook
#24 ·
I agree with Adam here, just ride the bike, to get the feel of how rides, with changing up and down through the gears, the breaks and exceleration. Using the throttle hand in same position to do steady 30mph etc. The panniers will give you less miles because they act as a wind restraint, also the balance of the bike is different as well. The bar backs will also affect your riding especially in turns, I know I noticed that after I had fitted mine, it took me a while to get used to that.

Things you can put on the bike that will make a big difference but wont affect your ride, that is the horn. I upgraded mine to twin horns that blast out approx 119Db. I had to remove both side panels, on the left side is the horn, easy enough to replace, then I wired across to the left side and fitted the other horn there. Before refitting the panels I tried out the horns, and near blasted myself out of the garage[:0][:D]. Refit the panels and re-adjust the mirrors, and try out on the road, wow I sound like a flipping truck.

Heated jacket nice one. I have been using mine recently without a battery in, this has kept me nice and snug. I wear several base layers when it is cold, even two sets of long johns, the ones from M&S, also the Merino wool style long sleeve base from M&S.

I do not enjoy any ride if I feel the chill, if I feel snug that is great. One thing though, if during your rides your bum starts to feel a tad numb (called a numb bum syndrome[lol]) then you could do worse than to buy an AirHawk or similar pad where you undo the valve, plow into the unit re-seal the valve, but follow the instructions. These can be pricey though. Don't go for the Gell filled ones you wont gain any benefit from them.

Anyway, enjoy your bike, the better weather is coming! so I have been informed.

Flook[8D]

Reactions: Richard230
#26 ·
Welcome K4thyL,
As for modifications, Ride first then decide whats required, I have done a few mod's to mine (F800GT), horn, added a fuse box power hub to power an Autocom and bike to bike PMR radio (more reliable connections than bluetoth systems) a Givi power hub in the tank bag so can charge phone and on bike camera has constant power. a fender extender and hugger, as for the seat I had mine recovered and gel put in...best mod'

enjoy and keep safe
"C"

#28 ·
Hi Kathy, glad you like the GT. I've had two of them so I must like them too. I have various accessories that I don't use any more but which are useful for touring. All are in as new condition since I didn't ride my last GT much. BMW tank bag and the BMW pannier inner liners are just a couple of the things I have sitting in the spare room. If you're interested just give me a shout. Either post up here or PM me. Though I haven't figured out where the PM's are on the new forum format yet.

#30 ·
Right Hand Drive wrote - Though I haven't figured out where the PM's are on the new forum format yet.

I will try and help you with this - As you want to PM Kathy, click on her Avatar, it will come up with bits of data for Kathy (nothing serious), on there you will see - Follow - Ignore - Start Conversation, select Start Conversation and Kathy's PM box will appear.

I hope this helps, you and all who read here.

Flook 😎

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.