Clicking in rear hub or brake on hand-rotation of rear wheel - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Howard
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    When my bike's on its center stand and I rotate the rear wheel to clean the chain or inspect the tire, I hear a little, irregularly timed click, over and over. The sound seems to come from the bike's left (brake) side. It's like the click (or tick) you might hear if a large bearing were being turned in a vertical plane with some of the balls missing, so that now and then a ball might roll over the top of the circle and then run some distance down onto the next one. At least, that's the only thing I can picture that might explain such a sound. The technician or service manager at my 100-miles-away BMW shop had no guess (over the phone) about what it might be. I've ridden for months, incident-free, with the condition.

Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    Howard. After you've checked it's not the obvious easy things (like the ABS sensor is not touching the sensor ring, brake pads not rattling etc), my guess that is is the large double row bearing in the rear hub.

Real Name
    Howard
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Redned View Post
    Howard. After you've checked it's not the obvious easy things (like the ABS sensor is not touching the sensor ring, brake pads not rattling etc), my guess that is is the large double row bearing in the rear hub.
    Funny that you mention brake pads. Often, when I hear the ticking, my gaze ends up roving around the brake. The bike has only 15,500 miles on it, so I'd be surprised if there were trouble in a hub bearing. But it's my first motorbike; maybe I assume too readily that bearings in a motorbike should have a life expectancy that's at least a large fraction of what one expects in a car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    Howard. Intuition would suggest that motorcycle bearing life would be similar to that of cars. In my experience that doesn't seem to be the case. Don't know why. Perhaps they are more exposed to the elements, although I can't see them being any more exposed than those on cars. On other thing, as I own a F800GT, I made the comment about the double row bearing, forgetting that the R's are probably a different rear set up (I haven't checked the schematic). Never the less, there will be a bearing of some sort in there, so after eliminating the obvious things that's where I'd go.

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    I would remove the brake pads to eliminate that as the area, and ocne cleared remove the chain off the sprocket and make sure its not that too. Then you know it is to do with the bearing/hub assembly.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

8. Likes The Mariner liked this post