Conti Road Attack 4 - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    Conti has a new sport touring tire called the Road Attack 4. Here is a link to an article regarding Conti's new and improved (and likely more expensive) "hyper-touring" tire: https://www.motorcycle.com/features/...irst-look.html
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    The Road Attack 3 is currently my favorite tire.......I have tried both Michelin Road 4 and Road 5 and they are great tires - but on both of those styles the front tire wears quickly for me and the steering suffers as the tread wears and the last few thousand miles the bike steers horribly.

I just bought a new set of Road Attack 3's for the R1200RT - I have about 6,000 miles on the set that are mounted to the F800GT and bought a rear tire to put on the shelf for mounting next summer. So thanks for the heads up - but I don't see a Road Attack 4 in my future until sometime in 2023/24!

2 Days Ago
    The RA3 is currently my second favorite tire...the Road 5 tops my list right now, but I'd certainly try a RA4.

One thing I wish manufacturers would do is put a small "wear indicator" in the center part of the tire when they eliminate the sipes/tread grooves from that area. It will be very hard on the new RA4 tread pattern to tell when the center is almost gone...a few small wear holes would solve that problem.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. 

5. Likes Richard230, PhotoAl liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I almost posted a similar thread last week when I saw the new Conti, but I didn't want to be accused of starting another tire thread...

I've been a huge Michelin fan having run the Road 3, 4, and am now on my second set of 5's. I'm very happy with it, but am considering switching to the RA4 next year. I seem to never completely wear out a set of Michelins, but always develop a flat spot on the rear. Then again, my miles are a combo of long road trip (3-6k) with lots of freeways, plus commuting, and some occasional sport riding. My long road trips tend to be every year and half or so, which means I usually put about 7-9k miles on the tires before swapping for a fresh set immediately preceding a road trip. I would like to leave them on longer to completely wear a set out, but I always want a fresh set for a long trip. I love the longevity of the Michelin with its dual compound.

What I like the most about the marketing of the new RA4 is the quick warm up in cold and wet. Even though the majority of my miles are road trips, the vast majority of my rides (frequency wise) are 2-10 miles for errands and commuting (often in the cold). It would be great to have extra grip for those first few miles.

I'm looking forward to some third party head to head tests.
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    My long road trips tend to be every year and half or so, which means I usually put about 7-9k miles on the tires before swapping for a fresh set immediately preceding a road trip. I would like to leave them on longer to completely wear a set out, but I always want a fresh set for a long trip. I love the longevity of the Michelin with its dual compound.

What I like the most about the marketing of the new RA4 is the quick warm up in cold and wet. Even though the majority of my miles are road trips, the vast majority of my rides (frequency wise) are 2-10 miles for errands and commuting (often in the cold). It would be great to have extra grip for those first few miles.
    jtvisions had an idea that seemed to make sense, so I moved on it. I now have two sets of wheels. I have my day-to-day commuting tires that I'll run down to the last bit of tread. And I have a set of "touring" tires, ones that have fresh tread and enough for a 4-6K trip. I was doing like you and swapping tires out at @9K, and losing 2-4K of tire wear simply because I didn't want to get caught out on the road looking for a replacement tire and getting it changed.

I've tried almost every tire on the market and my favorite is the RA3. As for the rest, there are no "bad" sport-touring tires, only tires that cost more than others for very similar performance. The Conti RA3 tires are just a wee bit better than the others and are confidence inspiring from the first mile with no warm up period needed, or even a scrub-in period.

I'm looking forward to the RA4. But will it be better than the RA3...enough that it will justify the extra price?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

9. Likes N4HHE liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Just for comparison...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conti Road Attack 3.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	375225 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conti Road Attack 4.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	375227

Name:	spiderdiagram.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	375229

Mileage and Dry Grip are almost identical. Riding Behavior (Handling), Warm-up and Wet Grip are improved, but I thought the RA3 was pretty good in those areas already. In the winter months in the cold and rain, I don't push my tires at all. So will I be able to tell the difference?

I've looked at tire tread patterns a lot over the years. I've seen different patterns come and go within a manufacturer's line-up and I've seen them use something from another manufacturer that they supposedly out-classed with last year's latest model. My conclusion is tire tread patterns are much like fishing lures. They probably all work reasonably well, and it is designed to convince you to part with your $$$ to get the latest and greatest tire.

Chris

11. Likes ccwatchmaker, Richard230 liked this post

2 Days Ago
    Also just read Michelin will be updating the Road 5 January 1.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. 

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I agree with Daboo (Chris), the wet weather, handling and fast warmup improvements to the RA3 are not likely going to be noticeable to me. I avoid riding in wet weather when I can....and when it does rain I slow down (I have been in some rain with the RA3 and it never showed any bad traits. When I ride in cold weather I am just enjoying the chance to get one more ride in before winter comes and I don't push the traction limits.....and I never ride "festively" until the bike and I are fully warmed up!

I also agree that just about any of the Sport Touring tires that are available are built to the modern standards......they all perform very well. My own personal issue with Michelin front tire is the huge number of sipes and grooves on the Road 4/5 front tire and they wear unevenly with my riding style (I guess I brake hard while going into a corner and I get a very uneven wear pattern on the Michelins). So far the Continental front is not wearing unevenly and it appears that one front tire will last for two rear tires - with the Michelin Road 4 and Road 5 my front tires wear out a bit before the rear does.

It would be really helpful if the center of the tread did have some form of wear indicator - I have toyed with the idea of brazing a washer onto a twist drill to limit the cutting depth and making my own wear indicator on my new tires! On my original tires I was going on a 4 day ride and the OEM Bridgestone had a little bit of a flat spot in the center - but I thought I could get another 1,500 miles out of it as the grooves on either side of the center appeared to show I had adequate rubber left. I was able to ride to Lynchburg, TN to meet a friend, then we rode down to Tellico Plains and the casing rubber was showing in the center of the tread! I did manage to get across the Cherohala Skyway and to Robbinsville, NC without a problem, and the next morning I got a new Michelin Road 5 mounted at Wheeler's. I have attached photos of the tire to show the before and after shots.....it is amazing how quickly it went from usable to dangerous!

I don't know what the future will bring for what is "available". A month ago I needed new tires and I got online and ordered a set. The front tire was made in 2021....the rear tire was 3.5 years old and I sent it back. I ordered from another retailer and the tire that came was 4.5 years old - so I sent it back. The next tire I ordered was 4 years old - I sent it back. It turns out the retailers and warehouses were being sent these "dated" tires directly from Continental! I then ordered a rear tire from North East Cycle and it was a bit more than 3 years old......and I kept it as it was obvious I wasn't going to get anything newer. Maybe in the spring of 2022 the supply chain issue will be resolved and we will be able to buy new "fresh" tires again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3488.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	375231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3493.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	375233  

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    BTW, I just saw a full-page Michelin motorcycle tire ad in the latest issue of the BMWMOA Owners News magazine that claimed that their latest "new generation" sport touring tire would be announced on January 1. What do you know, even print magazines can have "teasers".
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

15. Likes PhotoAl liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I look at "new generation" tires with a bit of a skepticism. It's not so much that there wasn't an improvement. It's just how much of an improvement, versus how much of a cost increase is there for that marginal improvement?

Look at these four pictures. The interesting thing is that especially for the Pirelli, the old version had a higher customer rating than the new "improved" version has.

Name:	Pirelli Angel GT.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	375263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pirelli Angel GT II Tires.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	375265

Name:	Metzeler Roadtec 01.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	375267 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	375269

Is the new version that much better than the dated, old, has-been tire? Or was it an excuse to raise the prices?

I wonder what the new generation Michelin Road 5 Plus will look like...and cost?

Chris

17. Likes Richard230, lateral_G liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    The new Michelin New Generation tire will likely have a different tread design to make it look like a new and improved tire and you can bet that the price will be higher than the Road 5. Will the tire life be longer? I don't think I would put any money on that. But one thing you can be sure of is that the motorcycle reviewers will rave about the new tire after they are transported to a race track, fed a nice lunch and ride around the track for a few hours. Business as usual.

19. Likes lateral_G liked this post

Real Name
    Cramer
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I don't mean to sound like an a$$, but if you were fine with the older version and don't want to pay for the latest technology, then just buy the Road 4. They still make and sell them (not sure why), but go for it. They cost less, and are not as good as the 5, but they are great tires. I had them in 2017. For that matter keep buying the RoadAttack3.

I always purchase my cell phone outright and replace it every 3 or 4 years. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S20 this year for $600. The S21 ($1000) has been out for over a year and is better than the S20, but I don't see the need to pay for the difference for my purposes. But I do feel that $100 is worth the difference for better tires on my motorcycle.

I think most can agree that tires are the single most important safety feature of any motorcycle (or car). As a BMW owner (car and motorcycle), I am the cheapest part of my vehicles. But I buy the best tires on the market that will best serve my purposes.

I will need a new set late spring 2022 and plan on trying the RoadAttack4. I'm not too concerned about their price assuming they are in the same ballpark as the other newest, latest technology, best in class, sport touring tire.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    David Kelly
    18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 FJR1300A
    Motorcycle
    '09 FE450
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    I don't mean to sound like an a$$, but if you were fine with the older version and don't want to pay for the latest technology, then just buy the Road 4. They still make and sell them (not sure why), but go for it. They cost less, and are not as good as the 5, but they are great tires. I had them in 2017. For that matter keep buying the RoadAttack3.
    Among those I ride with on heavier motorcycles such as the Yamaha FJR1300 the Road 5 has been a great disappointment. No one I know has replaced a Road 5 GT with another. Most are back to Pilot Road 4 GT or exploring other tires.

7,000 miles on a Road 5 GT, the last several thousand the scalloped tires were miserable. Vs 11,000 miles on a PR4GT delightful until almost the end. I don't like either Michelin on the front. Prefer Bridgestone T31GT. I don't like T31GT on the rear. Conventional wisdom be damned by trial and error I've been very happy riding new T31GT front with new PR4GT rear.

Some scalloped tires look like heck but ride sweet. Not a Road 5.

I mount tires for several friends. The Bridgestone T30, T31, T32, are as nasty to mount as a Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Every Michelin I have mounted was a delight. With my friend as a witness I mounted his Michelin Power-something 120/70-17 with nothing but my NoMar tire stand holding the rim, RuGlyde lubricant, and hands. No levers.
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A; 2016 Beta 430RS; 2007 BMW F800S; 2009 Husaberg FE450; 2016 Subaru Outback; 2018 F150; 2013 Tesla Model S 85; 1983 Porsche 928S; 9 cats 

22. Likes Richard230 liked this post

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    N4HHE: I agree with you on the Michelin PR4/PR5 on the front - they both wear out too soon and wear unevenly for me and create a shape that steers horribly as the tire nears the end of the tread life......the motorcycle is not fun to ride when it steers like a truck with bad ball joints! On both my R1200RT and F800GT the last few thousand miles on the Michelins were squirrely in the corners and would not hold a constant radius when leaned over and I had to make constant small corrections around the curve. (I just mounted a new Continental Road Attack 3 on the front of the R1200RT and left the Michelin PR4 on the back and it now steers great.....proving it was the front tire causing the erratic steering). All those grooves and sipes work great in wet weather riding - but create a wear pattern for me that results in poor handling for the last 1/3rd of the tread life. On both bikes on both the PR4 and PR5 the front tire work out before the rear did......that likely would not happen for riders who spend more time on 4 lane highways than curvy back roads.

I have not tried any of the Pirelli or Metzler tires - currently the Continental Road Attack 3 seems to work very nicely for me and I just replenished my tire supply and won't need tires for a couple more years.

I do wish the manufactures would put a tread depth dimple in the middle of the rear tire though - it is impossible to know how much rubber is left on the tire as it wears.

Real Name
    David Kelly
    18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 FJR1300A
    Motorcycle
    '09 FE450
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    The only matching tire I wear out on the rear faster than the front is the Bridgestone T series. I mostly ride 50 MPH 2-lane.

On the rear both T31GT and Metzeler Z6 met premature ends due to punctures I couldn't repair. The Z6 was nearly worn out and paper thin. So thin it would not hold a plug. The tire tore as I inserted plugs. Had to stop twice in 35 miles to reinflate the tire to get home. On T31GT I previously repaired a puncture at 200 miles then 3700 miles later it started leaking fast. Was losing 5 PSI in 5 minutes but after an hour with soapy water I couldn't find the leak. Impossible, I say. Should be able to hear that leak. Repair wasn't leaking but I punched it out and did it again. Eventually gave up.

Of these tires the Shinko and Z6 are the only ones I disliked so much I would not use another.

Name:	IMG_2717.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	375283 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2718.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	375285
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A; 2016 Beta 430RS; 2007 BMW F800S; 2009 Husaberg FE450; 2016 Subaru Outback; 2018 F150; 2013 Tesla Model S 85; 1983 Porsche 928S; 9 cats 

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
    The only matching tire I wear out on the rear faster than the front is the Bridgestone T series. I mostly ride 50 MPH 2-lane.

On the rear both T31GT and Metzeler Z6 met premature ends due to punctures I couldn't repair. The Z6 was nearly worn out and paper thin. So thin it would not hold a plug. The tire tore as I inserted plugs. Had to stop twice in 35 miles to reinflate the tire to get home. On T31GT I previously repaired a puncture at 200 miles then 3700 miles later it started leaking fast. Was losing 5 PSI in 5 minutes but after an hour with soapy water I couldn't find the leak. Impossible, I say. Should be able to hear that leak. Repair wasn't leaking but I punched it out and did it again. Eventually gave up.

Of these tires the Shinko and Z6 are the only ones I disliked so much I would not use another.

Name:	IMG_2717.jpg 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	375283 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2718.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	375285
    I had a similar issue with the Metzeler Z6 on my 2007 R1200R. I had one on the rear wheel of my bike during a trip up to northern Oregon on the I-5 freeway in 100 degree temperatures and it was toast after only 3K miles. However, the Z8 that came with my R1200RS went 8K on the front and 10K on the rear before I decided to change the tires. So no more Z6 tires for me.

26. Likes N4HHE liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    Certainly have my attention. I've been thru many sets of Road 5s on my F800GT and now my 2020 Tracer 900 GT. Never had good results with the front on a Pilot Road 4 or Road 5. The Road 5 was worse and scalloped. Currently running a Pilot Power 5 front with a Road 5 rear. Have 7,000 miles on the current pair. Guessing the rear will get to 10,000 and the front well beyond that. The Pilot Power 5 front is not badly scalloped but does have some. They were mounted new in Mid August and I went on a 6,400 mile trip up to Michigan then across the UP to Red Lodge Montana. While there did Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph's highway twice. One was loaded and once lightly loaded. Lots of straight roads to get there and back but had a lot of fun on those two roads. Got in some good riding thru the Bighorn Mountains as well. I am comfortable with the Road 5 and Pilot Power 5 combo on my bike and ride thru all kinds of weather - draw the line at snow and ice! Rode across the Big Mac bridge which connects Michigan and the UP in light rain and wind. Was not a fun experience, bike probably had more grip than I thought but trying to keep it going straight and not move out of the left tire track in the right lane with a stiff crosswind was nerve-wracking. I've ridden in worse crosswinds but not on a bridge 200 feet above the water with lots of whitecaps and a railing that looked like it would not keep me from going over. In Wisconsin the following day hit a bad thunderstorm with lots of rain. Well it washed all the bugs off the bike Wet traction particularly wet and cold traction is important to me. Have been in mountains in cold rain in the 30s and 40s F and want tires I don't have to wonder about.

Very interested in the RA4, Haven't been happy with the Road 5 front scalloping. Tread pattern looks better, wonder how much of my scalloping has been due to tread design and block squirming. Last trip I did run about 1 to 2 PSI higher pressure in the front than before and it seems to have helped. Very interested in quick warmup as when riding on the street sometimes tires can cool off a bit during a stop or when just puttering along and then when back up to speed want the tire to come up to temp quickly. Very curious who the other 2 tires the RA4s were compared to. Probably not the Road 5s as they seem to come up to temp pretty quickly. Certainly will be looking closely at the RA4s as well as the new Michelins. Michelin has faded a bit in my mind due to the scalloping issues with the PR4 and the Road 5.