Clutch Basket Wobbling - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

5 Days Ago
    Greetings all-
    3 years ago a local BMW shop noted clutch assembly noise on a service ticket where they replaced my rear wheel bearings under warranty. Most recently, same shop noted noise again - not knowing they'd noticed it before. Knowing I needed to rebuild the clutch as play was exhausted (51,000 miles), I discovered OEM parts were about $2,000 with a bit of labor thrown in. Seeking options I found a used 2016 800R full clutch package for about $450 and bought it. I've had the plates soaking in oil for a couple weeks while traveling.

Yesterday I finally got around to pulling the cover off and pulled the plates out and discovered the (outer) clutch basket wobbles about 1/4" in all directions if I grab basket edges and apply Weeble force. Clutch (inner) hub is sound and secure with no noticeable movement. I'm reckoning the bearing on the clutch basket has failed and having a full OEM replacement.
    I have watched videos and observed on my OEM DVD that to replace the basket one needs to:
    1. obtain top-dead-center
    2. insert OEM tool in keyway once a certain case bolt is removed providing access for tool, etc to lock crankshaft in position
    3. heat nut on input shaft to 80 degrees Celsius
    4. bust input shaft nut off input shaft

Has anyone ever done this? ideas? How does one get the nut to 80 Celsius? I am reluctant to take the bike to the shop as they may not want to participate in my wonky scheme of installing used parts to a bike that is already opened up. They were agreeable to open it and look around for the noise problem and install my used plates (have not inspected original plates yet).
    Draining oil last year the drain magnet held a small curved metal shaving and likewise when draining oil for this work I found a similar piece. I saved both and will hope to upload a pic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Tried to respond to your pm but it doesn't look like my replies went through so posting here.
    Definitely possible to do the job at home. You need a propane torch to heat the nut to break the bonds of the locktite. You will also likely need an impact wrench or a break bar to loosen the nut as it is torqued to 132 ft-lbs/180 nm. Not sure about the special holder that BMW specs to hold the basket while the nut is loosened. On other bikes I've secured it with a penny between the gears. That may or may not work with this engine and others can chime in.
    To reassemble you will need a torque wrench as this nut is mission-critical. Failure to tighten properly will make for a very bad day.

5 Days Ago
    well the source of the wobble noise is a mystery no more. . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1372.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	655.0 KB 
ID:	375525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	865.3 KB 
ID:	375527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1374.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	688.0 KB 
ID:	375529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1375.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	775.8 KB 
ID:	375531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	711.3 KB 
ID:	375533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	771.1 KB 
ID:	375535

5. Likes 308bever liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    bever
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    was that still working?

5 Days Ago
    Yes ran for years. The clutch play was finally exhausted & service shop mentioned it again after originally noting it 3-4 year earlier - so Rotax made a bulletproof engine that ran with all this metal flailing around in the internal bits for years. Notice deep scoring to internal engine case wall nuts that sheared off wonking around inside the clutch housing baskets, more metal shavings in the oil than Canadian bacon on Dominoes pizza

9. Likes 308bever liked this post