2007 F800S Engine Swap - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    And so it begins...
    As I indicated in my intro, I obtained this bike from a friend who seized the engine due to a faulty oil change. When I got it there was only about 1.5 qt of oil in the pan which was very dirty but didn't have any metal shavings. definitely didn't match the description to what I imagined happened. I attempted to turn the engine over using the starter with plugs removed, by pushing the bike and popping the clutch, and by breaker bar with no movement whatsoever. I could go through the engine but my instincts lead me to believe this will be a fruitless effort of time and money. I'll probably still tear it down out of curiosity!
    After comparing parts fiches, it looks like the F800GT engine is a suitable replacement after a few sensors are switched over. I was able to source a 2013 engine with 5,500 miles from Canada and it arrived on Friday. I was also able to find the BMW Repair manual on DVD which details very well the process.
    So today I began the process of tearing down the bike getting it ready for the swap.
    Here are a couple of pictures of where things stand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0724.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	375275

Name:	IMG_0800.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	375279

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	375277

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	375281

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Well I was going to offer you my old 08 ST engine for next to free, but I'm in the US and you already bought a GT engine. I'd be curious to hear if it fits. Mine has a crack in the engine housing that I created while working on it. Because I couldn't remove the engine, it was cheaper to put a whole new engine in, than replace the part.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbikeguy View Post
    And so it begins...
    As I indicated in my intro, I obtained this bike from a friend who seized the engine due to a faulty oil change. When I got it there was only about 1.5 qt of oil in the pan which was very dirty but didn't have any metal shavings. definitely didn't match the description to what I imagined happened. I attempted to turn the engine over using the starter with plugs removed, by pushing the bike and popping the clutch, and by breaker bar with no movement whatsoever. I could go through the engine but my instincts lead me to believe this will be a fruitless effort of time and money. I'll probably still tear it down out of curiosity!
    After comparing parts fiches, it looks like the F800GT engine is a suitable replacement after a few sensors are switched over. I was able to source a 2013 engine with 5,500 miles from Canada and it arrived on Friday. I was also able to find the BMW Repair manual on DVD which details very well the process.
    So today I began the process of tearing down the bike getting it ready for the swap.
    Here are a couple of pictures of where things stand.

Name:	IMG_0724.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	375275

Name:	IMG_0800.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	375279

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	375277

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	375281
    at the risk of being gosh, what do f800 engines cost? I might need to replace mine

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    at the risk of being gosh, what do f800 engines cost? I might need to replace mine
    I paid $750 from eBay which included delivery.
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

7. Likes whatsup liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Thank you for posting the pictures and details. Others will surely appreciate and benefit from your effort.

I wish the project goes well for you. (Looking at the custom engine hoist, I think you've got some mechanical experience!)
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

Real Name
    Andrew
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Thank you for posting the pictures and details. Others will surely appreciate and benefit from your effort.

I wish the project goes well for you. (Looking at the custom engine hoist, I think you've got some mechanical experience!)

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    I paid $750 from eBay which included delivery.
    Inflation or whatever has driven prices up. I paid $1,200 shipped from Canada and don't feel bad about that.

11. Likes whatsup liked this post

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by Runmyownlife View Post

Love my mini gantry crane! I built it to pull the engine on my Miata (which is what is under the cover). It certainly makes these kinds of projects much easier on the back.

13. Likes whatsup liked this post

1 Day Ago
    I guess the GT engine goes straight in as a replacement but do you have to do anything else. I have a ST which rattles a lot!! was thinking of putting a GT engine in but don't know if it will need any electrics changing!!!! Any advice would be appreciated. TY.

4 Hours Ago
    Mnbikeguy, how many miles did the engine have on it? Did he forgot to tighter drain plug or filter, then add more oil?
    If u find out what caused the seizure, do let us know.
    Ccramerusa, how did you crack the engine case while working on it?
    I do all my own maintenance & would prefer to avoid that pitfall.
    Thanks guys.
    “Get out and don’t come back until you’ve redeemed yourselves”
    Sister Mary Stigmata 

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyetti View Post
    I guess the GT engine goes straight in as a replacement but do you have to do anything else. I have a ST which rattles a lot!! was thinking of putting a GT engine in but don't know if it will need any electrics changing!!!! Any advice would be appreciated. TY.
    I've been comparing sensors and there are two differences that I have found. On the GT, BMW deleted an oil pressure switch and blocked the port with a screw-in plug. I plan to remove and transfer the one from the S to the GT. The other difference is the cable out from the gear selection sensor (23007711960). I believe the wiring harness will connect just fine but will report back if I find it is different. Other than those two things I think the S electronics will manage the GT engine just fine. According to specs, the GT makes 5 more hp than the S which I think is due to nothing more than fuel mapping.

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by scf View Post
    Mnbikeguy, how many miles did the engine have on it? Did he forgot to tighter drain plug or filter, then add more oil?
    If u find out what caused the seizure, do let us know.
    At this point, I haven't had a chance to put power to the computer to check the mileage and he couldn't remember. My bet is that it didn't have more than 20,000 miles.
    I'm too am very curious about what went wrong!

1 Week Ago
    Best of luck to you, it seems you're off to a good start. I replaced my 2007 ST engine with another 2007 ST engine in summer 2020. Since they were essentially the same there was no mods or changes needed. I bought my replacement from ebay for $900 shipped, seller listed it as a ~5000 mile crashed bike. It replaced my ~22k mile engine, which is now being disassembled on my workbench. I plan on stripping the cases (the paint was bubbling like many have experienced), having them repainted/powdercoated, and then reconditioning everything prior to reassembly.

I bought a used cylinder head as well. The reason an engine swap was necessary was my own fault: in removing the exhaust I broke one of the studs. My attempt to remove the stud went poorly, now there is an extractor bit broken off in the original head. I'm considering porting and polishing the head of the reconditioned engine; I may practice on the ruined head first. It's nice to have a running bike while I slowly make my way through the spare engine work: no reason to rush.

If your swap goes like mine did, once the sensors are installed and new fluids/consumables are in, she should fire up right away.

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    With Christmas in the rearview mirror, I got some time to extract the engine. Followed my typical process of disassembly of putting hardware for each item into baggies and labeling. Makes it much easier to keep things together. I also want to thank whoever posted about the needle bearings in the swingarm. I was extra careful when extracting the swingarm shaft and was able to not lose any of them!
    The only trouble spot was those threaded sleeves and locknuts securing the engine in the frame. I wasn't able to loosen them because I didn't have the correct socket and didn't want to risk rounding them. The locknut is a 27mm 12 pt right? Nevertheless, the engine dropped right out but will need to loosen them to install the replacement engine.
    Before I can reinstall there is a lot of cleaning that needs to happen. I'm a bit OCD and the grime is disgusting.
    Anyhow, here's the obligatory picture of old and replacement engines.

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	983.7 KB 
ID:	375359

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    After a pretty thorough cleaning, worked on getting the GT fitted into the frame. A couple of notes for anyone who stumbles across this in the future:
    • The Locknut on the engine sleeves is a 27mm 12 point.

• Do be careful with the swingarm needle bearings. A few dropped from both sides and they are not the same! You can tell the difference by looking at the ends. On one side they are rounded on the end and on the other they are squared. The swingarm shaft will bind if they are not assembled correctly.

• The shop manual unnecessarily complicates some of the procedures. The swingarm is more easily installed by resting the eccentric on the ground and inserting the shaft rather than attaching the shock. Once the shaft is installed you can easily rotate the swingarm up and attach the shock.

• When reattaching electronics work from the bottom up before reattaching the throttle bodies and fuel injection rail. It is also easier to reattach the ABS pump to the engine block prior to installing the throttle bodies.

The engine was shipped on this tiny pallet. Worked just fine to securely strap everything to a dolly to move under the bike. With the bike suspended could maneuver the frame over the top of the engine.

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	375365

Here's where I discovered that the needle bearings were different and it was much easier to install the swingarm leaving the shock disconnected.

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	375367

Everything secured and sorted.

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	697.1 KB 
ID:	375369

And we have lift off.

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	375371

At this point, the GT engine fits perfectly and all sensors swap or connect with no modifications. Hopefully today we'll get it fully connected, filled with fluids, and test fired.

21. Likes Runmyownlife, Andyetti, Kevin313, Kukopia liked this post

1 Day Ago
    Looking good. I am watching this closely as I have a replacement engine coming within the week and I am hoping to do the exact same.

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Success!
    Got everything connected and secured, and filled with fluids. Turned key and waited for the fuel pump to build pressure. Took about 30 seconds of cranking and it caught. No flashing lights or warnings other than the lamp warning and the abs flashing because it hasn't moved enough to check speed sensors. So happy!
    The biggest problems at this point are the 6 inches of snow of the ground and the fact I hate the sound of the Delkevic aftermarket silencer. Will try to source an OEM in time for spring because I prefer them quiet.
    One other home shop hax to mention. I used a piece of 3/4 inch pipe between two jack stands to create a wheel stand.

Here's the video of it running
    Last edited by mnbikeguy; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:19 PM.

24. Likes DJ123, Runmyownlife liked this post

Real Name
    William
    13 Hours Ago
    Well Done That Man!

Real Name
    Ken Wright
    18 Hours Ago
    Sounds as if you could have another career....!

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Ken View Post
    Sounds as if you could have another career....!
    Hey Rev is that a vocational title? We might be in the same field. Honestly some days I’d consider a change! Bikes are so much easier!

Real Name
    Andrew
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Congratulations! Well done.

And a huge thank you for posting along the way. Sharing these details is so helpful to the forum.

1 Day Ago
    Thanks for the thread. Hopefully replacement engine here tomorrow so will see if I can get on with it soon?

Real Name
    Jim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    I salute you, sir. Well Done!!

I've done the pipe thru the rear w/ jack stands too.
    '08 F800ST Low 

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Thanks! Hopefully, my experience can open up some options for keeping bikes on the road. BMW did a really nice job putting these together. Kudos to BMW for a well-thought-out shop manual. Definitely worth the price.
    Now if I can just get through the next 2-3 months of snow things will be great! Can't wait to take it on a shake-down ride.
    Probably will pull the forks and do a fluid change as I'm sure that has been neglected. Maybe change to an ST top bridge and bars. Also want to explore adding some side cases.

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Managed to find a used OEM silencer in great condition! There was a day when I loved the brap of the Delkevic but nowadays I prefer to fly more under the radar.
    If anyone would like the Delkevic, PM me and we can work out a price. It's the DL10 STUBBY 14" CARBON FIBER ROUND with connecting pipe in perfect condition.

Real Name
    Jim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbikeguy View Post
    Managed to find a used OEM silencer in great condition! There was a day when I loved the brap of the Delkevic but nowadays I prefer to fly more under the radar.
    If anyone would like the Delkevic, PM me and we can work out a price. It's the DL10 STUBBY 14" CARBON FIBER ROUND with connecting pipe in perfect condition.
    Where are you located?
    '08 F800ST Low 

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I'm in St. Paul, Mn.

1 Day Ago
    Engine now changed in mine as well. Have a 2007 ST and have now put in a 2016 GT engine with only 8500 miles on it. Useful tips on here thanks.
    The gear change wires are the same and everything else swapped straight over the only sticking point was the cam sensor which had a different connector on and the bolthole in the engine had moved but with a little careful trimming managed to get the original one back in, also didn't realise some nice person had removed one of the grub screws from the bottom of the oil filter housing meaning on first start up lost almost a third of the oil to my workshop floor!!!
    Just taken it out for its maiden flight and everything seems to be ok. Will check oil and water later and put louder exhaust on then back to winter riding as that's what it was bought for.
    Cant get the R1 or Chop dirty and covered in UK salt and grime!!!!

Happy riding and thanks again.

36. Likes Daboo, mnbikeguy, N4HHE liked this post