USB socket - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    I have a 2011 F800GS, with a GPS bracket thing so that I can mount stuff above the instrument cluster (see image). This also comes with a circular hole to mount a socket accessory into, and I'd love to install a USB power socket there, so I can charge my phone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	375409

However, I am a bit lost, I don't know what to buy and what will work. I've found a USB socket from Wunderlich that connects directly to the battery, but I've read that this is not a good idea as it'll drain the battery even when nothing is plugged into the USB socket. They also have a version of a USB socket with a power switch, but that just seems like a typical thing to forget to turn off. And there are sockets from Wunderlich and Touratech that are supposed to replace the DIN socket next to the keyhole ("plug and play"), but I really would like the USB socket to be placed into the empty bracket closer to my phone.

I've also read that there should be a CAN BUS plug underneath the fake tank cover, which shuts off when the engine is turned off, so that seems perfect. But which USB socket connects to it?

Can someone point me towards a solution? So a USB socket that inserts into the bracket from the picture, which doesn't drain the battery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

14 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Kevin, you can connect to the spare canbus plug with a "Wiring repair kit 3 pin plug | ELA13585" https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...BA_15_70_IA_75

This is a UK supplier, you've not told us where you are based but hopefully you can get same local to you.
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

2 Weeks Ago
    Ah right, I'm from The Netherlands. I think I found something similar from Touratech, but I can't post links yet. It's called "Power cable BMW CAN BUS, universal" but is about twice as expensive!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_065_0293_0_01_e304.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	375413

So with such a cable, basically it should be possible to connect any USB socket without a worry, right?

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Weeks Ago
    I've found a cheaper solution from Touratech, the "2pol superseal connector" (number 01-015-0090-0), so I've ordered that together with their dual USB socket. Should be here in 3 to 5 days!

14 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Yep, you'll need a USB socket with two male spade terminals, to connect to. If you go for the Motorworks one, it has 3 wires number 2 redundant (extra wire is for BMW specific sat navs I think)
    Ajay

F800GT 2018