BMW F800 Forum banner

Tire Change Video (F800GS)

25K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  soph9 
#1 · (Edited)
My first video. Be gentle. [;)]

This is to demonstrate you can change a tire (or repair a puncture) while on the road with no special tools.

#2 ·
Very nice Greg. I wonder would the site administrator consider creating a Video thread, make it sticky and place all the videos posted into that thread. Very useful videos such as Gregs can easily get lost/forgotten about as they slowly slip down the list.

#3 ·
I wish it was that easy when I was trying to break the bead on my rear battlewing. There was no way that I could break it with such a small amout of force, I eventually figured out that I needed to leave the centre stand in one spot on the tyre for up to 30 seconds before it would break, that was with the bike over on its side as far as it could go. Move the trye around and repeat the process. I have an anakee now so hope it will be easier.

As for using the tyre irons, Im not totally precious about my bike but I would hate to see those rims after you have finished with them Greg, they must look worse for wear, each to their own though.

In no way am I knocking your video Greg, its interesting to see how other people do things, whether that is the way I would do it or not. Great video, thanks. Grant

#9 ·
Nice video Greg. I wish I had that when I first started changing my own tires.

Now I change my tires quite regularly using the same method but have discovered a few things along the way that may help others, if I may.

1) Instead of WD40 for lubricant, I carry a small tube of dish soap. It does not evaporate off the tire as quickly as WD40, it works really well for locating a hole in the tube when mixed with water and is readily available.

2) Not sure about the TKC80 but many tires have a valve location dot on the sidewall indicating the "light" side of the tire. The valve stem should be positioned next to it to assist in balance.

3) To help avoid tube pinches, I always keep a few psi of air in the tube while working the tire back on. This helps avoid the tube from getting under the tip of the iron.

4) I replaced my plastic valve stem caps with metal ones that have an integral core removal device on the end. One less tool to carry (or lose) and they are available at Walmart for about 50 cents. Like these but way cheaper at Walmart.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equipment/valve_stem_cap1.htm

5) For those who are picky about rim scratches, instead of using plastic rim protectors, cutting up an old pair of leather gloves ( like ropers ) does the job with much less bulk.

You gonna do the front tire balancing act next? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.