BMW F800 Forum banner

question to the GS riders - ADV boots

12K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Scubadude 
#1 ·
Hello GS riders!

I'm interested in picking up a pair of waterproof ADV style boots (shin armor etc) and am wondering if you have a pair, do you wear them over your armored pants or under? I'd likely wear them under but wonder if that makes for tight fitting and/or obstruction/poor fitment with the longer knee armor that's in pants (ie Rallye and other BMW pants).

I was enticed by a friend GS rider who I think was sporting some santiagos as well as a recent ad by Forma in the recent BMW ON magazine. Other styles I'm looking into are the Gaerne Balance Oiled and Sidi Adventure Rain.

Thanks for your feedback.
-tp

#2 ·
I have the Ralleye II suit and have the BMW GS boots. I wear them under the pants that way the water sheds off rather than in. The pants are tight over them. I kind of thought BMW would have made pants with a bit more room so it would all work together. They do have a stretchy part there but not enough i think. It may be my calf muscle. Not bragging but they are kind of big. Makes the boots tight at top and kind of loose in the ankle area. They area comfortable but just how they fit me. They tend to move the knee pads put a bit but i could probably move the pad in the suit as well and that may get rid of that issue. Hope this helps

#5 ·
uh huh. they seem pretty hard core. saw a pair of Sidi Strada Evo Rain Boots in my size on BMW MOA flea... but in I prefer flat soles on all my kicks... so keeping that in mind too. just finding my Tour Master Response SC Road Boots a bit too short to be proper rain boots, figure if I'm looking at a full size boot the ADV style/protection should be taken advantage of.

-tp

#9 ·
neighbor friend let me try on his discos in my size... pretty much sold on them. seems like you do sacrifice ankle protection for a less plastic boot - and given the fact I won't be off road at all I can live with that.

now my last question - source them from the US or find a UK/gortex version.

-tp

#12 ·
After checkihg out this thread, I ordered and just received a pair of Alpinestars TOUCAN Goretex Adventure style boot.

These are a perfect choice! Fit under my Klim Latitude pants......but NOT under my BMW Santiago pants.

Also fit well under the Klim Dakar pants.

Great mix of moto cross protection, and Gortex rain proof.....which is comfortable. Pricy but well worth it!

#13 ·
Ever notice that the SIDI brand is never discounted. Seems like all dealers sell them for the same...HIGH...price. Great stuff but no bargains there.
I got my ankle and calf crushed in a low speed fall over in the dirt when the bike fell over on me. I had Sidi City boots on at the time. I rode 180 miles home before I took the boots off and saw the vet.
I'd like to think that the more dirt oriented boots might provide a bit more protection than just the normal sturdy foot ware.
Very manly man looking boots make the ADV style of riding complete! [lol]

#14 · (Edited)
I wear the cheapish Alpinestars Tech 3 ($225). They're like casts. Must lift entire leg to upshift, zero ankle flex except when walking. But they are very protective and comfy as hell. I had 5-6 falls last season when the bike fell hard onto my legs and ankles, against rocks and the built-up sides of trails -- a couple of times I was pinned down and had to have mates lift the bike off me. No pain was felt at all through these boots. Not even a scratch or bruise.

They aren't waterproof, but if you're offroading hard terrain for hours in summer, your feet tend to get drenched with sweat anyway. So either way, they end up in the soup. What I like about these boots is even if I fill them with water they lose it fast and, yes, remain damp, but warm.

Some lads I ride with have Goretex-lined Sidi boots and they always moan that once you get them really wet they never seem to quite dry out again. Mine dry completely dry overnight. I haven't even washed them yet in four years of use each weekend, even though I've doused them in dozens of manky swamps, puddles and mudholes... and amazingly they still don't stink. Much. :hungry:

#15 ·
My old Sidi City boot stay dry. I've resoled them before and they just keep on being an excellent travel boot. They just don't protect when I get clumsy like a big nasty dirt boot would.
As you mentioned, the stouter the boot, the less flexible and more demanding the movement might be to shift and brake. Dang trade offs....[SQ]

#17 ·
Hi guys,does anyone have a pair of GS boots,I bought a pair when I got my F700GS,problem is they are so rigid there isn't any flex in them at all so I am finding it hard to apply the rear brake and do gear changes,any tips on how to make them supple enough so I can safely apply the brake/change gear without having to dislocate my ankles to do so

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.