BMW F800 Forum banner

Has the gas tank on your F650GS/F800GS twin cracked?

POLL: Has your F650GS/F800GS twin gas tank cracked?

160K views 194 replies 76 participants last post by  Fang 
#1 ·
The purpose of this poll it to determine how widespread the gas tank cracking problem is for the BMW F800GS/F650GS twins, and if the problem might be related to the charcoal canister emissions system used on USA bikes.....

If you have modified your USA/Canister equipted bike:

Please vote as "canister equipted" bike unless you have removed BOTH your canister AND the pressure relief valve from your bike.

Reactions: de100kb
#150 ·
I have never believed this is a double walled tank. I do believe the tank has two layers of different type plastic. I got a replacement under warranty and the second one has never leaked. This is both a safety issue and an environmental/emission issue in the US. The only logical reason there has not been a recall, is they get covered under warranty and not reported.

#152 ·
I'm about to have the fifth tank replaced under warranty on my F800GS. It always crack on the same place. BMW continues to say that is a non-safety issue. That I should not worry they will keep replacing it until it doesn't crack. Every replacements costs BMW 500 USD, that is 2,500 and counting so far.

I don't think they are fully aware of the cost to their reputation. Although BMW still outperforms many brands.

They did redesign the F800GS gas tank for 2014 making it bigger and bulkier. I don't know if that design leaks, material seems to be the same.

#153 ·
Redon....

Wow.... we've had many cracked tanks, but yours is the first I have heard of that actually leaked gasoline....
In all prior cases I am familiar with the outer shell cracked, but the integrity of the inner "liner" was not compromised.
In your case the gasoline was actually leaking out of the crack? [:0]

#154 ·
The fact my tank was weeping gasoline is why I got an attorney involved. The bike was at my cabin in Kanab, UT - very far from a dealer. I asked BMW to send me a new tank that I would install, including absolving them of any warranty related to installation. They said I had to drive it to a dealer. I elected, at great cost, to have the bike trucked to my house in Chandler, AZ, after which I drove it up to Go AZ for a replacement. Go AZ took pictures and it took almost a month for BMW NA to finally agree to replacing the tank and I then drove it back up to Go AZ whereupon the work was completed while I waited for 4 hours. Since it was weeping gas, I lost several months use of the machine as I would never drive a machine with a tank leak. I don't know how other people are getting tanks replaced right away, and why only a handful have breached - but my leaking tank issue took months to resolve, and BMW NA was absolutely uncooperative in every way. I bought this bike brand new in 2012 and some of the other issues: ABS braking not activated at the factory and was not working upon delivery, one defective battery, one defective grip heater, one defective fuel pump controller pcb, and now the machine has started running intermittently on one cylinder. As we would say in Germany, Nie Wieder. This means, "never again".

#159 ·
The tank on my U.S. 2009 F650GS with its original charcoal canister still in place, built in June 2008, still looks like new. [:)]

#160 ·
Even more cracked tanks

Hi, it's Jo. I'm back. The local BMW dealer replaced the first tank that I showed, the one with the fuel leak. Yesterday, I discovered that one has a big crack in it as well (see above). I've ridden the bike about 3600 miles since they replaced the tank at the beginning of June. Pretty sad.

We'd all better start doing something about this. Asking BMW nicely didn't work, nor does it seem to matter to them that it costs them money (and their reputation) every time a tank cracks.

Here is the link to file a complaint:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Thanks,
- Jo

#161 ·

Hi, it's Jo. I'm back. The local BMW dealer replaced the first tank that I showed, the one with the fuel leak. Yesterday, I discovered that one has a big crack in it as well (see above). I've ridden the bike about 3600 miles since they replaced the tank at the beginning of June. Pretty sad.

We'd all better start doing something about this. Asking BMW nicely didn't work, nor does it seem to matter to them that it costs them money (and their reputation) every time a tank cracks.

Here is the link to file a complaint:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Thanks,
- Jo
Yep our F700GS is going in for its 3rd tank soon. My F800GS is on its second tank.

My take, after observing a very obvious swelling of both tanks (enough to distort the bodywork on either side) is that the inline check valve, located under the tail section, is allowing too much pressure to build up in the tank. My understanding is that it will vent internal pressure at 5 psi. That is one heck of a lot of pressure in that tank, I think I stated in this thread somewhere that 5 psi*the internal area of the tank is going to be hundreds of pounds of force, more than enough to cause swelling.

I replaced that check valve with a simple inline fuel filter on the F800GS and it has not swollen or cracked in over a year, it now has about 6,000 miles on it.

BMW have been very good about warranty issues and seem to be perfectly willing to replace tanks all day long.

The tech I spoke to today did the first replacement on our 700, and said he has replaced about 600 tanks so far.

That little modification is not too difficult but not everyone should be messing around with their fuel system.

I certainly agree it would be a lot better if this tank issue was resolved properly but until then looks like tank replacements are going to be rather popular.

#162 ·
600 tanks replaced by only one shop! [:0] That is just crazy. How can BMW afford to keep doing that without coming up with an engineering and/or manufacturing solution? :confused:

#163 ·
They can afford it. BMW as a brand has an appeal and prestige that keeps people coming back for more. Most people who purchase BMW cars could care less about the engineering or features; in fact the vast majority of BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, MBZ automobiles are now leased, mostly to impress the neighbors.

A few gas tanks is no big deal. They have obviously done the math.

Funny about their motorcycles; the engineering is just transcendent enough in the right areas where most owners will put up with these niggles. Three water pumps, three gas tanks? My Japanese bikes have never had anything go wrong and are ridden hard, redlined, put away wet. But the F800GS is a superb adventure bike, it's a joy to ride, and I wouldn't even consider anything else.

And my water pump ain't leaking at the moment plus the second tank ain't cracked yet.

#166 ·
The crack will look very similar to the picture in post #160 .... perhaps not as long or pronounced, but that is a good 'reference picture' ;-)

#169 ·
I don't think you will get any crap from the dealer about replacing it so long as bike is still under warranty.
while you can remove the canister ... IMHO replacing the check valve with a small fuel filter is sufficient to eliminate any concerns about the cracking being caused by the canister "system", and your bike remains stock-looking for emissions inspections & future sale ... etc

Reactions: R100GS
#170 ·
Good point. Given the canister is so well hidden on this bike, there is no reason to remove it cosmetically. I may still disconnect the line back to the intake and plug it just for the heck of it. I'll do this when I remove the check valve. When I remove the seat and trace the hose with the check valve from the tank to the canister, will it be easy enough to spot? I have heard the bike has two valves, one that is for gas tank overflow and the one you and others speak of. I only want to remove the latter and not the former.

NC

BTW, Took bike to dealer today and they agreed both sides of tank have cracked. They said BMW used to be really good about changing them out but now they aren't so sure. They made it sound like I have a 50-50 chance.

#173 ·
#175 · (Edited)
Finally pulled the seat and tail bag off last night. I can see either a part 15 or 17 but I can't find both unless 17 is way down by the canister.

How likely is it part #15 wouldn't be there? It is only a coupler or connection piece and I can easily see a long enough section of tube being all that is necessary. The part I can see that I think is 17 is "silver" in color and has an arrow pointing that indicates it is to be installed pointing either towards the charcoal canister or away from the charcoal canister. If it were only a connection piece, I can't see why it would be directional.

Than again, as long as I cut the hose after the tipper valve and install the filter I will have bypassed the ventilation valve anyway. Maybe I just answered my own question? Not like I haven't done that before.

NC

I'll take a closer look this evening.

Edit: I just pulled the hose off of the tip over valve and connected a new section that connected to the Uni-Filter. I then threaded a 6mm bolt into the hose that goes to the charcoal canister and will leave it like that, for now. I have this rule against working in the garage in 40 degree temps while handling metal tools. I just really hate that . . .

NC

#176 ·
Does this affect the F800GT as well?
What about the single-cylinder F650GS? Are they affected?

#177 ·
I haven't heard about any tank cracking complaints regarding those models. In any case the G650GS is now defunct so that model has nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

#181 ·
Still not a crack in sight on the fuel tank cover of my U.S. model, June, 2008-manufacured, 2009 F650 GS. :confused: Kind of makes you wonder if BMW changed tank cover suppliers early on and found a lower bidder that they are still using? :rolleyes:

#182 ·
I have a 2014 GSA but no problem with cracks after 2 years and 21k. Matter of fact is that I have never heard of one cracking on the SA models. No canisters fitted to our models. I usually fill the tank to the brim and my bike is in the sun, parked or riding, most of the time.

I am not sure what the gap between the inner and outer layers are or the material spec but it could be possible that the outer layer is weaker/harder than the inside layer and then the outer layer will crack due to different expansion rates of the material.

#183 ·
Thanks Stripes - there is strong suspicion that the problem is related to the evaporative control / canister system required on USA bikes....

#184 ·
Many US riders removed the one way ball check valve that is placed in the fuel line from the gas tank to the charcoal canister. I did this by simply disconnecting the hose from the gas tank and plugging it. I then put a small line with a small air filter to the fuel tank so it can ventilate properly. So I don't think it is the canister itself but the line that goes to the canister from the fuel tank that has the one way valve. The valved will sometimes get stuck and only allow air into the tank as fuel is consumed. When the tank gets warm the valve is not properly ventilating pressure in the other direction. I made it through this past summer without any issues. If I make it one more summer I think I am good.

I recommend this modification to any US model bike. It is simple to reverse if one wants to.

NC

#187 ·
Just a reminder to y'all the fuel tank "should" be covered under the extended (five year I believe) emissions warranty ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.