Torque settings for AltRider crashers on F800GS - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Paul
    06-01-19
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Does anyone know the accurate torque settings for the:
    - 2 Torx 50 engine mount bolts
    - 1 M8x60, 1 M8x40 bolts
    - 4 M6x20 bolts?

I'm installing the AltRider crash bars and they don't list them all in the instructions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

09-13-14
    The repair DVD specifies 19 Nm for the BMW crashbars where they screw into the engine mounts. Makes sense to me that it wold be the same for the AltRiders.

Southern Germany AlanI is offline Volunteer Moderator - Recreational Vehicles

Real Name
    InalA
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I don't know how the AltRider bars are mounted or the mounting points but here are the one's for the SW-Motech bars.

The 2 top engine mounts bolts are listed as being torqued to 46NM...........I torqued mine to 40NM using medium (blue) Locktite.

The 2 bolts under the clutch casing, and same the other side are listed as 23NM.

The 2 bolts at the front of the engine (either side of the pipes) at the top are given as 23NM and the bottom one's as 46NM.........again I tightened to 40NM using medium Locktite.

I always under torque slightly to be on the safe side but use plenty of medium Locktite.

Edit: wow, just seen the post by Talon Six and there's a big big difference between 19NM and 46NM. With respect T6 can I ask you to double-check that DVD again........?

Edit 2.......no you are correct T6 - just checked my own DVD. However, the bolt sizes given for the BMW mounts are: front of engine M10 x 20, left side of engine M8 x 16, right side of engine M8 x 40 and M8 x 55, Lug for crash bar M8 x 25 and connection of bars M5 x 16 @ 6NM.........all the rest being 19NM.

Paul - probably best to wait until you get a definitive answer because torque values obviously apply to size of bolts used and it appears that both BMW and SW-Motech are using different bolt sizes to AltRider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Paul
    06-01-19
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Well it's done. So we'll see how it holds up. One thing I learned is that my limbs begin to shake when it's -10C and I'm wrenching, sitting on pavement. I'm taking this weather personally and demand a recall.

Thanks anyway lads. I'll call Mr Parker the mechanic on Mon and ask him for the final torque pronouncements.

Real Name
    Brendan
    07-03-14
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Moved thread to GS Modification Nation
    Brendan 

07-24-12
    The torques are the same as the oem crash bars listed above

05-06-15
    I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for the same answers. I know the bolts going into the engine are torqued at 19Nm, but I what do you torque the bolt that goes into the frame? It uses the T50 torx bolt...I don't know what metric name is cause I'm an idiot but here is a pic. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f800gs.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	32922

06-30-19
    I’m installing some Outback Motortec bars and had the same torque question - ranges in this thread (19 to 46) require clarification.
    Outback confirmed BMW recommended is 19. Web info on bolt torques basically distinguishes between dry vs lubricated torques - outcome being that if you torque a lubed bolt to the dry value (higher) you may cause failure. So, my interpretation is 19 with lube (locktight?) may make sense as would 46 dry.

Real Name
    Daniel
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider250 View Post
    I’m installing some Outback Motortec bars and had the same torque question - ranges in this thread (19 to 46) require clarification.
    Outback confirmed BMW recommended is 19. Web info on bolt torques basically distinguishes between dry vs lubricated torques - outcome being that if you torque a lubed bolt to the dry value (higher) you may cause failure. So, my interpretation is 19 with lube (locktight?) may make sense as would 46 dry.
    19 lubed vs 46 dry doesn't make much sense as that is a huge difference. (Edit: 30-40% reduction actually would seem plausible (I was taught 20%), with graphite dropping torque needed by as much as 50%.
    That said, the torque values BMW specifies are with thread locker for which one doesn't need to compensate, so at least it eliminates need for further reduction as the bolts we talk about are all installed with threadlocker applied at torque as specified.)

As this got long the TL;DR for motortek is below after the ---

While finally looking this up in service manual I did find that the Puig instructions are wrong/generic as they spec 54Nm for the M10 bolts going into head, service manual says 40Nm.
    That's for guards that deviate from OEM guards and mount into cylinder head.

The OEM guards use 38Nm for the M10 that bolt on top front and 28Nm for the 4 bottom left/right M8 bolts.

I then found 56Nm for any non specified M10 bolt that is of grade 10.9. I like that page as it lists all torques for 8.8, 10.9 and 12.9 bolts, problem is they match screws like a screw manufacturer would give you and not their intended uses.
    That at least explains the Puig number, it's a generic bolt spec, not a spec from BMW for a certain bolt at a certain location.

The 19Nm you specify are for generic M8 of grade 8.8, as you would use for the 4 bolts on the bottom of the case, Puig says 22Nm there. So 19 and 22 are both below the OEM guard spec, but BMW specify 10.9 screws there which matches the generic chart.

As our various guards come with various grade screws we will see different numbers.

It looks like under M8 they only list coarse bolts, M8, M10, M12 bolts exist in fine and coarse n that list.

For anyone wondering about the numbers first number x100 is Newton they will hold up to before they break, the second number x10 is the percent of the first number that is the bolt's elastic deformation limit.
    So a 8.8 could take 800N and would return to its original condition at 640N and below, between 640N and 800N it won't break but if it stretches it won't return to its initial state it's plastically deformed.

---

Looking at the motortek guards it looks like you mount through the frame into the engine block and those per BMW spec take 40Nm (they didn't specify grade) and you also mount with M10 to the front of the engine which were at 38Nm Grade10.9

Hope this helps.

Measure your bolts if they are all 10mm and look at the head most metric bolts will have grade stamped into head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '17 F700GS in San Antonio, TX 

06-30-19
    Sorry for the delay...thanks for this information.
    Bike is OS so when I get there I will follow your advice.
    Again, thanks

Real Name
    Bill
    2 Weeks Ago
    Apologies for digging up an old thread. Considering the topic and items discussed, seems like a good place to start.

New to me (as in brought home this week), 2010 F800GS with AltRider crash bars. Noticed that the left side Torx 50 upper engine mount bolt was missing today while doing a check. Pulled the right side bolt, for length check comparison and it appears that the left side needs a shorter Torx 50 bolt. Right side bolt did not want to bottom out and seat the crash bar. Anyone have the sizes for both sides? Attempting to source replacement locally, dealer is over 3 hrs away.

Real Name
    Bill
    2 Weeks Ago
    Ha... Guess I can even surprise myself. Solved my question, thanks to the MaxBMW parts diagram...

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS
    Any update on torque for the AltRider crash bar?