New clutch needed - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

01-27-13
    Looks like I need a new clutch. My clutch has started slipping pretty badly over the last 10,000 miles or so. Last clutch was replaced at dealer about 80,000 miles ago. Thinking about doing this one myself. Looks to be only about two hours of work, if that. Has anyone done a clutch on their bike by themselves? Any gotchas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

12-04-15
    hmmm....sounds like its contaminated with engine oil

Ware, Herts, UK Pat H is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Pat
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderLou View Post
    Looks like I need a new clutch. My clutch has started slipping pretty badly over the last 10,000 miles or so. Last clutch was replaced at dealer about 80,000 miles ago. Thinking about doing this one myself. Looks to be only about two hours of work, if that. Has anyone done a clutch on their bike by themselves? Any gotchas?
    What mileage did you get out your first clutch?
    I think it's failry straight forward but there have been some improvements in the clutch design so you may need to ensure you match it to the engine number or VIN.
    Flame red F800s as of Nov 2006. Watch for me around North London.

Don't miss the F800 Garage Door Opener Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

01-27-13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
    What mileage did you get out your first clutch?
    I think it's failry straight forward but there have been some improvements in the clutch design so you may need to ensure you match it to the engine number or VIN.
    I got just under 60,000 miles from my first clutch.
    What kind of life are others getting from their clutches?

Ware, Herts, UK Pat H is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Pat
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    Well I'm on 62k miles now. Clutch still seems fine lots of adjustment left. In fact it never seems to need adjusting.
    Flame red F800s as of Nov 2006. Watch for me around North London.

Don't miss the F800 Garage Door Opener Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk 

Real Name
    Friends call me Kelsow
    11-23-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Replaced mine 3 days before a 6000 trip. Easy peasy to do.
    Just have to be careful pulling the side case off. The shift lever can pop out if you're not careful.
    Not a big deal getting it back in but you never know.

I replaced mine with a "kit" It was $586.83 CDN

I could have gotten away with just the inner and outer moxt friction discs I believe. They were the only ones that showed signs of wearing.
    Make sure you do get a new gasket. Some can tear when you remove them.

9. Thanks SunnY thanked for this post

07-24-18
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    I got just under 60,000 miles from my first clutch.
    What kind of life are others getting from their clutches?
    60k out of the first and 80k out of the second? How is the rest of the bike holding up as it approaches the 150k mile mark?

The word I have is that one of the plusses on this engine is that the clutch is easy to change. So, go for it.
    2007 teal grey ST, optioned out + dark smoke double bubble
    2009 K1300GT 

Real Name
    Sandro P
    07-04-18
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsow View Post
    Easy peasy to do.
    Just have to be careful pulling the side case off. The shift lever can pop out if you're not careful.
    Not a big deal getting it back in but you never know.

I replaced mine with a "kit" It was $586.83 CDN

I could have gotten away with just the inner and outer moxt friction discs I believe. They were the only ones that showed signs of wearing.
    Make sure you do get a new gasket. Some can tear when you remove them.

Thanks! and good to know!

Between track days, drag racing, and general tough street use, I am certain my clutch will need replacing sooner than later.

I am happy to hear its easy to do!

What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner? 

12. Likes luketmarx liked this post

01-27-13
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
    60k out of the first and 80k out of the second? How is the rest of the bike holding up as it approaches the 150k mile mark?

The word I have is that one of the plusses on this engine is that the clutch is easy to change. So, go for it.
    Gee, the bike has been great. Never failed me and never had any problems with it. Have had to change an alternator and the clutch (was under warranty due to install issue). The fewest miles I've put on the motorcycle was in 2008 when I only rode 31,000 miles. Over the last few years, I seem to ride close to 40,000 miles per year.

I hand wash and towel dry my motorcycle monthly. Also towel dry after riding in rain (often) I think it helps keep things reliable to keep parts clean and dry.

Heading from the Sierras in California down to South America for a few months. Should return around December with 170,000 miles or so on the motorcycle. If it keeps being reliable, I'll certainly see 200k miles within the next 12 months, roughly.

Real Name
    Luke Marx
    01-15-13
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Gee, the bike has been great. Never failed me and never had any problems with it. Have had to change an alternator and the clutch (was under warranty due to install issue). The fewest miles I've put on the motorcycle was in 2008 when I only rode 31,000 miles. Over the last few years, I seem to ride close to 40,000 miles per year.

I hand wash and towel dry my motorcycle monthly. Also towel dry after riding in rain (often) I think it helps keep things reliable to keep parts clean and dry.

Heading from the Sierras in California down to South America for a few months. Should return around December with 170,000 miles or so on the motorcycle. If it keeps being reliable, I'll certainly see 200k miles within the next 12 months, roughly.
    Really? What version of the F are you riding?

01-27-13
    Quote Originally Posted by luketmarx View Post
    Really? What version of the F are you riding?
    I own two F800S motorcycles in addition to six other motorcycles. The BMW's are my daily riders while the others I toy with when home. I used to ride more right after retirement, about 50k per year. Now I'm down to 40-42k per year on the BMW. This year, I'll probably do 50k again though as I have done a few big trips, plus embarking on South America

Real Name
    Clive
    01-24-14
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Blimey Lou that is some going. Are you off soon? will you still be online whilst away? I'd be interested to hear how you get on, whether the bike (and you) are ok. Sounds like a real nice adventure, I hope it goes well and you let us know how you get on. Ride safe (especially as you guys ride on the wrong side of the road) -
    If you want to give GOD a good laugh, tell him your plans. 

Real Name
    mario
    06-16-14
    That bike is special ….and the rider. right on!! good luck in south america ….Just came back in a solo trip from there. awesome experience.
    I want to do my clutch as well. Please post some advise in how to do it.
    thanks guys!!

chi2can = chile to canada

18. Likes de100kb liked this post