LED tail light & indicators - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05-05-09
    I've just purchased and fitted a LED panels for the tail light and rear indicators on my F800S. The panels for the indicators also incorporate a brake light strip, so when you brake, both indicators also light up red. I fitted a clear lense over the tail light, but the LED panel would also work with the original red cover.

Here's what the rear lights on my F800s looked like prior to fitting the new bits:

Here's a picture of the LED tail light panel:

There are four clear LEDs along the bottom edge of the panel, which illuminate the number plate.

Here's what it looks like now with the LEDs and clear tail light fitted:

Turning on the ignition, here's the tail lit up:

... and when the brakes are applied:

Hopefully this should be more visible to people behind me than just the original bulb glowing brighter.

now indicating right:

...and the same whilst braking:

and finally with the hazards on and the ignition off:

If anyone else would like some of these, I bought mine from Nippy Normans.

Cheers,

iPaul

2. Thanks Sturmgreif, Billy thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

11-13-07
    Hi Paul, you the Paul that is on Boxertrix? what happened to your 'S' did it meet with the big scrapper in the sky?

nice job on the lights though mate, how much was the entire set up? and was it a pain to fit? can you run the wires for the brake set up into the indicator stalk? answers on a post card please....

should have the lower panels for the Schnitzer fairing back from the paint shop in a week or so...will try to get pictures up of how easy (or not )it is to fit...

should get to the EICMA show in Milan next weekend as i have to be in italy for a family 'do'...will see if they have anything nice for the 'S'.

FW

05-05-09
    Hi FW,

Yes, I am Paul on Boxertrix.com. My R1100S didn't survive my unintentional get off from about 60mph hence my new toy.

The whole kit and caboodle delivered from NN was 139.99. It was not hard to fit, but a bit of a voyage into the unknown dismantling the rear tail section of the bike for the first time. Took about an hour or so to work out were all the fasteners were lurking and how to get access to the rear of the tail light. If anyone wants to go this route, tail disassembley is as follows:

1) remove rear grab rail/topcase rack
    2) remove fuel cap lid
    3) remove two rear fairing panels (and put fuel cap lid back on)
    4) remove rear tail light assembly
    4.1) two screws on side, hiding under rear fairing panels
    4.2) pin underneat tail which goes up into seat lock bracket. Push down on central pin from under seat and then pull out under the tail
    5) snip cable tie holding tail light cable bundle to frame at the rear of the bike.
    6) unbolt seat catch assembly and remove cable from slot in seat bracket under the frame.
    7) gently ease assembly back and to the left to release.
    8) slip the brake light cable bundle from the clip at the back of the brake light housing.

You then need to unbolt the tail light from the tail assembly to get at the wiring to add the two new slave wires for the brake light strips in the indicators. It is held on using 3 bolts deep in the tail unit.

Fitting the indicators was a doddle. The extra cable fits through the arm into the tail unit along with the existing wires. The old reflector and bulb come out of the indicator housing and there are slip on/off electrical spade connectors which then fit directly to the back of the new LED panels. You might need to open up the plugs a bit to fit them onto the posts on the back of the LED panel.

The tail light LED has a plug which you fit into the bulb socket. You then have a screw which goes through the LED panel into the back of the plug, to hold the panel in place.

The indicators are supplied with a new double spade crimp socket, which the two wires from the indicator are then fitted into. That then slips over the spade on the back of the light fitting and the original brake light cable goes onto the second spade. Standing behind the bike looking down on the brake light, it's the left hand spade which is the brake light power line.

Took me about an hour and a half to fit and put back together. I reckon I could do the job again in about 40 minutes, now I know how it all comes to bits.

Cheers,

iPaul

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

02-22-15
    A while ago, someone posted about Nippy Norman's selling a complete LED tail light unit. You appear to be suggesting that you simply bought an LED panel. I have seen the indicators on Nippy Norman's site.

I quite like the idea, although I am reluctant to spend money on "bling" for its own sake, or throw away perfectly good components (or store them for years and never need them!) and my electrical skills are limited.

Can you give us some idea of what was involved in terms of cost, which components, and the difficulty of fitting? Thanks.

Mike
    Live to ride and ride to work. 

10-09-20
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    Mike, I have a NN supplied LED tail light panel that I will fit sometime using the standard l red lens.
    If you want to look at/borrow it/try it contact me on the email address included in my profile. I live in Nottingham.

05-05-09
    Mike,

This is the LED panel:

It's a straight replacement for the existing bulb and costs £55. it fits behind the standard red lense, but I blinged it up with the white lense and added the indicators. If you were just fitting the panel, it's a five minute job: Cover off with two philips screws, remove the bulb, plug in the panel, screw panel to bulb plug, replace cover.

The installation of the indicators takes longer due to the need to wire them into the back of the tail light

It is, bling, I admit, however it's also fit and forget. Never need to worry about blown bulbs, and I like the idea of a more visible brake signal incorporating the two rear indicators.

Cheers,

iPaul

11-30-06
    Thanks for that iPaul. Nice one.

I bet you have opened the floodgates for conversions.

Your photos and instructions are very detailed and lucid. No need for a degree in automotive electrics required.

I wonder why LEDs don't come standard a la the R1200S.

As for the bling comment by mikefule, surely, he only means that it his personal opinion - given that fact that he made a choice to buy the bike as against double glazing or whatever his house.

My opinion is that it looks much nicer and with the intensity and life of LEDs, you are absolutely correct in surmising that it is fit and forget and will hopefully make you more visible.

Once again, nice one, iPaul

11-15-06
    Originally posted by Oldrider

As for the bling comment by mikefule, surely, he only means that it his personal opinion
    I cant understand comments like that, if you type something in a thread exactly who's opinion would it be, you mums? The man 2 doors down the street?

I think unless otherwise stated anything typed on a thread is in the opinion of the person who types it......

11-30-06
    Not me mums, mate. Mum never rode a bike. And the man2doors down has only ever driven Saabs.

Did you read the posts slim_boy_fat. Maybe I need to do a lor and explain things.

I meant that though maybe mikefule thinks it is bling (his personal opinion) there is no need to run down ipaul's choice - I am typing very slowly here....

Never mind, maybe on me way back from me local pub after a pint, I'll be able to explain that better.

11-15-06

Not me mums, mate. Mum never rode a bike. And the man2doors down has only ever driven Saabs.

Did you read the posts slim_boy_fat. Maybe I need to do a lor and explain things.

I meant that though maybe mikefule thinks it is bling (his personal opinion) there is no need to run down ipaul's choice - I am typing very slowly here....

Never mind, maybe on me way back from me local pub after a pint, I'll be able to explain that better.

Lols, no doubt i am slow but i think i might just have got it first time round. Just like a pencil with a rubber on either side, i just cant see the point.

11-15-06
    p.s. enjoy your drink, im having to work. Have a four-ex on me...

Well with the occasional break on-line.

11-30-06
    Oi ... a XXXX lover from the land of ale... A man after me own heart

This one is for you slim_boy_fat:

The sales managers of Cascade Brewery (Tasmania), Tooheys (New South Wales), XXXX (Queensland), CUB (Victoria) and Coopers (South Australia) were at a national beer conference.

They decide to all go to lunch together and the waitress asks what they want to drink.

The Sales Manager of Tooheys says without hesitation "I'll have A Tooheys New."

The Sales Manager from Cascade smiles and says "I'll have a Cascade Draught, brewed from pure mountain water!"

The Sales Manager of Coopers proudly says "I'll have a Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale, the finest of Beers!"

The bloke from Carlton says "I'll have a Carlton Draught, the cleanest draught on the planet"

The Sales Manager from XXXX glances at his lunch mates and says, "I'll have a Diet Coke."

The others look at him like he has sprouted a new head.

He just shrugs and says, "Well if you blokes aren't drinking beer, then neither will I."

11-15-06

Oi ... a XXXX lover from the land of ale... A man after me own heart

This one is for you slim_boy_fat:

The sales managers of Cascade Brewery (Tasmania), Tooheys (New South Wales), XXXX (Queensland), CUB (Victoria) and Coopers (South Australia) were at a national beer conference.

They decide to all go to lunch together and the waitress asks what they want to drink.

The Sales Manager of Tooheys says without hesitation "I'll have A Tooheys New."

The Sales Manager from Cascade smiles and says "I'll have a Cascade Draught, brewed from pure mountain water!"

The Sales Manager of Coopers proudly says "I'll have a Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale, the finest of Beers!"

The bloke from Carlton says "I'll have a Carlton Draught, the cleanest draught on the planet"

The Sales Manager from XXXX glances at his lunch mates and says, "I'll have a Diet Coke."

The others look at him like he has sprouted a new head.

He just shrugs and says, "Well if you blokes aren't drinking beer, then neither will I."

Classic

10-09-20
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    The advantages of LED rear lights include
    Faster response - even a few millisecs might help in waking up the driver behind
    Brighter light - good for bad visibility conditions
    Improved reliability and life - although electronics can and do fail
    Disadvantages include
    Cost v price of bulbs
    Questionable legality of use in UK - the Construction and Use Regulations specify filament bulbs - I gather that legislation to allow LED lights is in the pipeline
    For those who watched 'Bike Cops' there is the impossibility of post crash forensics proving that the light was operating at the time the V***o/Chealsea Tractor/boy racer slammed into the rear.
    I will be fitting mine!

11-13-07
    Thanks Paul, like the idea of that, even though the rear light is very bright on the 800; just the look of the white lens..

the lad i sold my 1100s too checks out the boxer site quite a bit, even though he's only done 500 miles on the old girl...since April! i bet it wonders what goes on, i did 6000 miles on it the year before; sorry to hear yours was written off.

FW

02-22-15
    Originally posted by Pete99

The advantages of LED rear lights include
    Faster response - even a few millisecs might help in waking up the driver behind
    This is a real factor. At 60 mph, you are covering about 29 metres per second. 1/100 of a second makes a difference of about a foot/29 cm in how far the following vehicle has travelled before the driver puts the brakes on. A foot is the difference between lots of relieved swearing and gesticulating, and an impact that could put the rider under the wheels of a lorry coming the other way.

As for questionable legality: I have Vespa GT125 which is a popular model of T&G scooter and it comes with LED brake lights as standard. There is no filament bulb brake light - it relies solely on a ring of LEDs.
    Live to ride and ride to work. 

10-09-20
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    New models have to be homologated - tested to ensure that they comply to noise, electro-magnetic interference and compliance to Vehicle Regulations - and if LED's are fitted I assume that the type certificate covers this.
    What the position is when a machine is modified from standard by retrofitting aftermarket LEDs is uncertain.
    I am sure that nobody will be penalised for having improved lights on their vehicle - I just wish that the Legislation is clearer.

Real Name
    Trevor :-)
    05-11-20
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Well I've got my F800ST on order (just released in NZ) and based on this post I've already ordered my rear light upgrades. Thanks Paul.

BTW: I see others complain about Nippy Normans getting mentioned well please keep mentioning this and others who supply parts for the F800. For us outside Europe forums like this are a great help saves many hours of googling.

Trevor New Zealand
    K100RT 1986 For Sale one owner, imported from the UK when I emigrated down here 12 years ago. For Sale at about 30% of the price I paid new - now that's not bad!
    What's it like to bike around NZ? https://picasaweb.google.com/1043074...59485/BikeTrip 

05-11-08
    Questionable legality of use in UK - the Construction and Use Regulations specify filament bulbs - I gather that legislation to allow LED lights is in the pipeline
    bmws and audi have them

C & U regs wouldnt be a prob and you wouldnt be stopped by da fuzz

11-20-08
    When I bought my ST, the dealer tried to install one of those flashing Kisan brake bulbs, and the Computer held its breath and stamped its feet. We kept getting a "LAMP" reading, so we removed the bulb and put everything back in its orginal place.

Are these LEDs compatible with the Canbus system? Are you getting any error readings?

Originally posted by iPaul

I've just purchased and fitted a LED panels for the tail light and rear indicators on my F800S. The panels for the indicators also incorporate a brake light strip, so when you brake, both indicators also light up red. I fitted a clear lense over the tail light, but the LED panel would also work with the original red cover.

Here's what the rear lights on my F800s looked like prior to fitting the new bits:

Here's a picture of the LED tail light panel:

There are four clear LEDs along the bottom edge of the panel, which illuminate the number plate.

Here's what it looks like now with the LEDs and clear tail light fitted:

Turning on the ignition, here's the tail lit up:

... and when the brakes are applied:

Hopefully this should be more visible to people behind me than just the original bulb glowing brighter.

now indicating right:

...and the same whilst braking:

and finally with the hazards on and the ignition off:

If anyone else would like some of these, I bought mine from Nippy Normans.

Cheers,

iPaul

Ware, Herts, UK Pat H is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Pat
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    To trick the canbus you need to add the load resistor.

I do like the idea of the LEDs as I'm not as comfortable only having one tail lamp bulb.
    My CBRs always had a pair so one fails and your still ok.
    Ok the F800 computer will tell me I'm now likely to get smacked up the back in the dark but that's not a whole lot of help driving home in the dark!
    Maybe the LEDs do need a look at.
    I see a lot of UK cars now have LED rear lights so presumably they must be approved?
    Flame red F800s as of Nov 2006. Watch for me around North London.

Don't miss the F800 Garage Door Opener Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk 

Montreal, Quebec, Canada. warby is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Andreas
    07-21-20
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    iPaul,

I'm not sure if you're still reading the forum regularly, but I just wanted to thank you for the detailed coverage of the LED taillight and indicators. Quality content!

I have a few questions for you, or for others who have gone the same route:

o Aside from the obvious colour difference, the optics of the colourless versus the stock red taillight lens appear somewhat different. The replacement unit appears more clear, which must be great for sending light directly back, but I'm wondering whether this affects visibility from the side when LEDs are used? An analogy would be the lighting characteristics of a frosted versus clear household light bulb. The F800 taillight geometry and optics are designed such that the unit also provides some side/marker lighting, so I'm just wondering how well that quality is preserved in the modified clear-lens-with-LED configuration.

o From what I can tell in iPaul's photos, the taillight LED board appears to be the one made by GKL Moto-LED and sold on F800Depot.com. But are the dual red/amber rear LED turn signals also made by the same manufacturer, i.e., do they have the superior automotive grade rectangular LEDs, not the conventional circular variety with the two electrical leads used to mount them on the board? While this model of turn signal appears to be available on Nippy Norman's UK-based site, it's not the kind offered on F800Depot.com.

o Does the three-panel LED setup (two indicators plus taillight) all play well with the F800's CANBUS system, i.e., can you confirm that there's no LAMP indication in the OBC?

Thanks to all for your feedback!

Cheers,
    Andreas
    2007 BMW F800ST 

Real Name
    Andreas
    07-21-20
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Just a follow-up... I didn't receive any feedback from my last query (above), but I went ahead and bought the German-made GKL LED tail light and turn indicators with the 4-LED strip of red brake lights integrated. It turns out that the turn signals are also made by GKL, that the CANBUS system stays happy, and that the optics of the clear tail-light cover are fine.

I'm very impressed with the build of the printed circuit boards in general. My end result is the same as what iPaul described long ago, earlier in this thread.

Also, a comment about the arguments for/against flashing LEDs as well as LED strips that are supplementary to the stock tail light and turn signals. I agree with Rob, who (I think on another thread related to LEDs) commented that he prefers the non-flashing variety of LED to avoid the target-fixation phenomenon. Personally, I manually flash my brake light at times that I choose, and I would prefer not to have my brake light flash automatically all the time. The other argument in favour of externally mounted LED strips is redundancy. This is true, but the GKL tail light consists of 6 separate circuits whereas each GKL turn signal consists of 5 separate circuits. If there's a problem somewhere on the printed-circuit board, it should be confined to a group of 4 LEDs only.

Further to iPaul's posting on 11/11/2006 (above), I ended up going about the procedure, which is rather involved, in a different way. If one wants to follow iPaul's instructions, I believe you also need to be able to remove the black-painted metal pannier bracket in order that the tail assembly can be slid out. I was unable to access the torx bolts to remove the pannier bracket without first removing the rear mud guard and license plate holder, which required a torx driver with a very long and slender shaft.

Instead, I wired in the brake-light slave cables with the tail-light assembly in place. It's not easy, but it's possible. Here are the steps:

1. Remove grab-rail/top-box bracket.

2. Unbolt seat-catch assembly.

3. Slide a flat-blade screwdriver between the tail light and the body so that you can slide the left-most spade plug off its connector. Work this plug forward through the hole in the tail assembly so that it sticks out near where the seat-catch cable makes its 90-degree turn.

4. Attach the piggyback spade plug to the two slave leads running out to the turn signals.

5. Attach the original brake plug to the piggyback plug.

6. Push the piggyback plug with the three wires connected back through the hole towards the connector on the tail light.

7. Attach the piggyback plug to the tail light. For this, I had to slide my finger deep into the hole in the tail-light assembly while fiddling with the flat blade screwdriver (positioned down the crack between the tail light and the body) in order to get it mounted.

The last procedure seemed to require a digital dexterity somewhat like what I imagine some gynecological procedures to require. Manipulating the spade plug remotely with a finger and a screwdriver also reminded me of trying to eat a slippery piece chicken with one chopstick. I believe years of eating Chinese food (rather than gynecology!) helped me get the job done with the tail light "in situ".

The result of all this effort is quite nice. As iPaul said, it's fix and forget. If anyone has questions about this modification, please don't hesitate to post!

Happy Labour Day weekend to all,
    Andreas

2007 BMW F800ST 

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Warby,

Did you get the side markers like iPaul did? Do they indeed light up when you brake?
    Forum Owner Emeritus

Rob Werksman - Owner, Motorcycle Insight, LLC
    F800 Depot | S1000RR Depot | Adventure Motorcycle Depot | Twalcom USA
    North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, [email protected], Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

Real Name
    Andreas
    07-21-20
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Originally posted by Rob

Warby,

Did you get the side markers like iPaul did? Do they indeed light up when you brake?
    Hi Rob,

If, by side markers, you mean the rear LED turn indicators that have 16 yellow LEDs and 4 red LEDs, then yes, I did get these and the 4 red LEDs do indeed light up when I brake. The somewhat involved procedure that iPaul and I describe in our posts pertains to the connection of the third wire, which couples to the bike's principal brake light.

I find the 3-way brake-light setup to be very effective. It's a bit along the lines of the third brake light on cars, only here one isn't adding any new external visible hardware to the bike so that it retains a stock look when parked.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    2007 BMW F800ST 

05-05-09
    Sorry for not replying to your earlier questions Warby, but I don't get on here much these days... You seem to have worked it all out for yourself though.

I spent a happy couple of years in the early 1990's travelling regularly to Montreal on business. I stayed downtown and drove over to Laval to the office. I have many happy memories of Montreal, but wouldn't fancy riding a bike there between November and March!

cheers,

iPaul.

Real Name
    Andreas
    07-21-20
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Many thanks for your reply iPaul. Your comments were very helpful.

The Montreal downtown-to-Laval commute can be quite pleasant at certain times of day. This area is quite good for motorcycling in general, though the November-March months present unique challenges as you say!

Best to you,
    Andreas
    2007 BMW F800ST 

08-31-08
    Just read this post for the first time but I too went with this set up from Moto LED thanks to NN. I however went a different route with the install. Instead of doing the full take down of the rear section, I tapped into the feeder lines going into the tailight.

There is a wire bundle running around the left rear section. Stripped off the protective cloth and through trial and error found out which one powered the constant on and the brake on. I can't remember at the moment which line was what since I am at work and had limited sleep. Will post the line colors once I get them figured out.

08-31-08
    Here is the web site with the rear end wiring. Also, the maker of the P3 lights is a nice guy and he even helped me install the Moto LEDs even though they were not his.

http://www.p3lights.com/F800.htm

Real Name
    Andreas
    07-21-20
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    That's very nice of the P3 lights person. It's true that tapping into the existing wires isn't really too invasive, and it saves a lot of grief taking the tail section apart. Thanks for the info! -Andreas
    2007 BMW F800ST 

01-30-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Installed just the LED taillight this evening. Really like the screw-in-the-center design. The self-threading screws on the Brake! LED I installed on my F650 were, quite simply put, not.

Great photos...just like the ones I took this evening before my camera battery died.
    '07 F800ST 

05-06-08
    Also installed today. Soooo easy to install and looks nice!!!

http://www.datapiste.com/mopot/bmwf8...s/IMG_6771.htm

Real Name
    John Albone
    05-27-15
    Motorcycle
    '10 K1300S
    In effect you do have 2 bulbs with the standard 1 bulb system,as the can bus will route the power to the good filiment when one blows.
    John. BMW K1300S.F 700GS.Aprilia RSV4.
    Waltham Forest College.Deptment Of Motorcycle Engineering.
    BMW Owners Club .England.

Real Name
    John Albone
    05-27-15
    Motorcycle
    '10 K1300S

Real Name
    John Albone
    05-27-15
    Motorcycle
    '10 K1300S

Real Name
    John Albone
    05-27-15
    Motorcycle
    '10 K1300S

Real Name
    John Albone
    05-27-15
    Motorcycle
    '10 K1300S

Real Name
    John Albone
    05-27-15
    Motorcycle
    '10 K1300S

Real Name
    Andrew
    08-18-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I added the same panels except for I bought mine at f800depot.com

I also use the turnsignal red strips as running lights, not brake lights

Real Name
    Louis
    08-29-11
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Sorry if I missed it but can you do running lights and brakes.

If so, are you connecting both wires to the leds?

Thanks
    Louis

Real Name
    dale
    09-27-10
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    does anybody know which wire is the 12v switched wire to the rear lights? as well as the other wires to the signals and which is the ground?

Real Name
    John
    11-17-12
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    Have Fun 

Real Name
    dale
    09-27-10
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I worked it out and evrything works as it should for one whole day!!!!
    brown wire =ground
    red and blue = left turn
    gray and other colors wire = switched 12v
    rt turn = I forgot but will check.
    tail light=blue
    this is for a 2006 bmw 800st

Real Name
    John
    11-17-12
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertiloup View Post
    Sorry if I missed it but can you do running lights and brakes.

If so, are you connecting both wires to the leds?

Thanks
    Louis
    do you mean indicators on continuously as running lights?
    These indicators have 2 sets of LEDs one set is round the rim and white, the other is a line of red in the middle. If you preferred to use the red LEDs as running lights they could be wired to the rear light not the brake light
    Have Fun 

04-10-14
    I just installed a full set of LED lights, including the rear turn indicators that flash red when the brakes are applied. I was able to wire it up without major dis-assembly. I only removed the rear grab rail, and I had my wife press down on the tail light assembly just enough to allow my fingers to reach the brake light connectors. From there I was able to remove the correct wire, install the piggy-back connector, and replace the brake wire.

Everything else is very easy to install.

Real Name
    Arie
    01-17-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Warby, did you end up buying from Nippy Normans or F800depot? By my calculations, about $50cad cheaper to get the entire setup including the LED Tail, LED sides and clear Tail lens all from NN. But they dont mention if this is the GKL MotoLED brand and I want to make sure I get the good quality brand. Thanks.

Real Name
    Arie
    01-17-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    This post seems pretty closed, but I'll post anyway for the archive, the Nippy Norman lights are genuine GKL-Moto LED, as of August 2010 they appear to be the cheapest source, once you do the checkout, they deduct the VAT tax if you are outside EU and this more then covered the shipping cost. I ordered the tail light and the turn signals, they installed in minutes and an easier way to do the wiring is just to splice into the main electrical harness. You have to do this carefully as to not damage other wires, but does not involve having to take apart anything on the bike other then the light lens covers themselves. FYI, the grey with yellow stripe is the break light wire and the brown is the ground. Splice into this from the main harness and save yourself an hour of work! All you will need is a small Philips to remove the lens covers and install the LEDs.
    2007 BMW F800ST / Akrapovic / Givi / GKL-MotoLED / Magellan / Triboseat / Rizoma / Diemax / Skidmarx 

51. Thanks bric-a-brac thanked for this post

Real Name
    JP
    07-09-11
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I've been noticing how much brighter led lights are and i'm thinking about buying the factory tail light. How many people have done this and what is your impression?

06-30-17
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by JPAZ View Post
    I've been noticing how much brighter led lights are and i'm thinking about buying the factory tail light. How many people have done this and what is your impression?
    I have the Touratech LED rear brake lights and front and rear turn signals. Someone I rode with a few months ago thought they were not very bright. It was a very sunny day. I think someone else on this forum un-installed them for being less bright than stock, in his opinion. I think they are fine.
    2008 graphitan ST

Real Name
    Matt
    06-19-16
    Motorcycle
    '11 Daytona 675R
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I thought about the LED panels, but I ended up getting the R1200GS tailight instead. I like the more angular looks of it, instead of being all rounded.

You need a different harness for the lights however, it has the resistors in it, I may do this next year, along with the HP2 LED indicators.
    ~Matt. 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast