LED tail light & indicators - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    I have the HP2 LED turn indicators on the rear of my my R1200S, and they make for a great following distance difference.
    AZ-J
    See my pretty bike here: http://tiny.cc/MyBike

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Arie
    01-17-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    The GKL-Moto LEDs are very bright and look great with the clear lens. However, from an angle (ie: standing next to the bike) it hardly looks like they are on at all, so they are very directional. This doesn't bother me because the people i want to see my brake light are directly behind me.
    2007 BMW F800ST / Akrapovic / Givi / GKL-MotoLED / Magellan / Triboseat / Rizoma / Diemax / Skidmarx 

10-13-11
    Thanks for the post. Just installed mine... took me 2 hours though as I'm a little more mechanically challenged. They look fantastic though. Very happy with purchase.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave
    05-23-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by iPaul View Post
    I've just purchased and fitted a LED panels for the tail light and rear indicators on my F800S. The panels for the indicators also incorporate a brake light strip, so when you brake, both indicators also light up red. I fitted a clear lense over the tail light, but the LED panel would also work with the original red cover.

Here's what the rear lights on my F800s looked like prior to fitting the new bits:

Here's a picture of the LED tail light panel:

There are four clear LEDs along the bottom edge of the panel, which illuminate the number plate.

Here's what it looks like now with the LEDs and clear tail light fitted:

Turning on the ignition, here's the tail lit up:

... and when the brakes are applied:

Hopefully this should be more visible to people behind me than just the original bulb glowing brighter.

now indicating right:

...and the same whilst braking:

and finally with the hazards on and the ignition off:

If anyone else would like some of these, I bought mine from Nippy Normans.

Cheers,

iPaul
    Rezzing this thread. I note that the LED brake light panel (I'm only interested in the taillight, not modding the indicators) is on f800depot. Anyone care to comment on visibility and durability? Looks like an easy mod as I've just had to replace the brake lite bulb.

Cheers,

Dave
    2007 F800ST-------> 2013 F800GT 

Real Name
    Lewis Wells
    06-26-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete99 View Post
    New models have to be homologated - tested to ensure that they comply to noise, electro-magnetic interference and compliance to Vehicle Regulations - and if LED's are fitted I assume that the type certificate covers this.
    What the position is when a machine is modified from standard by retrofitting aftermarket LEDs is uncertain.
    I am sure that nobody will be penalised for having improved lights on their vehicle - I just wish that the Legislation is clearer.
    You guys have to put up with electronic light noise police? Given the current crap in or country we're not far off.
    "Keep the shiny side up!" 

Real Name
    Robin
    09-10-17
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200RS
    Motorcycle
    '84 RD350LC YPVS (RZ350)
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I've had both versions of this tail light panel (differing in how the non-stoplight mode was implemented, one dimmed all the LEDs whereas the other shut down all but two rows). One of them failed partially after more than two years, but Nippy Normans offered a free replacement regardless.

As for brightness, none of them could hold a candle to the Flashback unit from VI Adventuretech in Canada. Brightest tail and brake light my bike has ever had, with the added bonus of several selectable flash modes immediately after the brakes are applied (which can also be turned off entirely). Upon closer scrutiny, the panel seems well-made and with component ratings meant to last forever. I'm keeping this one.

The panel available from Nippy and the Depot is fastened to the bulb socket plug with one screw and this needs no immediate modification to the OEM light interior. However, in my experience vibration will cause the outer edges of the panel to scratch the surface of the OEM reflector near its edges.

The panel from VI Adventuretech is fastened with two small screws into the outward facing sides of the plastic OEM light interior. Permanent holes (outside the reflector), but no scratches.

VI Adventuretech website: http://www.adventuretech.ca/

9. Thanks N/A, Bill the Cat thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Damien
    05-07-14
    Motorcycle
    '14 S1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickhead View Post
    The panel available from Nippy and the Depot is fastened to the bulb socket plug with one screw and this needs no immediate modification to the OEM light interior. However, in my experience vibration will cause the outer edges of the panel to scratch the surface of the OEM reflector near its edges.
    Actually I just got mine from Nippy Norman's a couple of weeks ago, and there are some rubbery plastic tabs now to keep it from scratching where it makes contact.
    2014 S1000R-road 2003 R6-track
    founder of ROK Riders http://www.facebook.com/groups/rokriders/
    www.youtube.com/knitewulfe 

11. Thanks N/A, Bill the Cat thanked for this post
    Likes Brickhead liked this post

Real Name
    Antious Maximous
    03-31-14
    After following this tread I purchased the LED tail list and indicators from Nippy Norms for my 2008 F800ST.

Wunderlich sidestand enlarger - F800R/S/ST/GT £29.17 1 £29.17
    LED TAIL LIGHT PANEL - F800 S/ST £40.83 1 £40.83
    LED INDICATOR PANELS (pair) - R1200GS(front or rear)and more £49.17 2 £98.34

NORTH AND SOUTH AMERICA - 7 DAY SERVICE: £10.00

Total: £178.33

VAT: £0.00

The indicators work perfect.

As you know the break light is extremely important. I spent hours trying variations to get the tail light to work. The connector attached to the panel has two offsetting pins. The pins allows the connector to lock in. So it should only work one way.

I contacted Nippy Normans, he recommended that I rotate the connector 180 and re-install.

I contacted BMW Countryside in Illinois and they said that he can offer me NO ADVICE because the bike was not designed to accept OEM lighting.

This is what I tried...

Method 1: I installed the connector the only way it would lock in.

Results: The tail light stays on, I get an LAMP error message on the dashboard, and the break lights do not work.

Method 2: I rotated the connector 180 but it will not lock in place.

Results: The tail lights stays on, I do NOT get the LAMP error, and the break lights work sometimes. Why sometimes? Since the connector will not lock into place any kind of movement in the panel (back or forth) results in the light not working at all, the break lights staying, or kinda working. In any case, once I apply the tail cover, the light stops working because it probably moved out of position.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Real Name
    Robin
    09-10-17
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200RS
    Motorcycle
    '84 RD350LC YPVS (RZ350)
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Antious View Post
    Method 2: I rotated the connector 180 but it will not lock in place.

Results: The tail lights stays on, I do NOT get the LAMP error, and the break lights work sometimes. Why sometimes? Since the connector will not lock into place any kind of movement in the panel (back or forth) results in the light not working at all, the break lights staying, or kinda working. In any case, once I apply the tail cover, the light stops working because it probably moved out of position.
    If a normal BAY15d bulb works correctly (SIGNIFICANTLY brighter brake than tail light, not just barely), to me this looks like 2 of the 3 wires going to the LED panel are switched. You can either correct this yourself by re-soldering the wires to the panel, or you can get a replacement from Norm.

The "sometimes" issue is probably a matter of not getting reliable contact pressure without the bayonet lock.

Real Name
    Antious Maximous
    03-31-14
    The cable appear to be through hole connections. Sounds like it would be easier to cut, splice, and tape the wires. Per your recommendation are you suggesting swapping the red and yellow wires? I'm not sure which is ground but I would assume brown.

Real Name
    Robin
    09-10-17
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200RS
    Motorcycle
    '84 RD350LC YPVS (RZ350)
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    That sounds about right.
    If only I could find my own partially defect panel, I could have measured which leads shoud have contact with which connector points, but it appears to be hidden well. Perhaps I threw it away when I replaced it with the superior VI Adventuretech panel.
    Last edited by Brickhead; 05-24-13 at 06:47 PM.

Real Name
    Antious Maximous
    03-31-14
    Method 3: Swapped the red and yellow wire.

Results: No running lights, I get an LAMP error message on the dashboard, and the break lights stay on continuously.

Real Name
    Antious Maximous
    03-31-14
    While I try another combination I will look into the Adventuretech VI. I assume you simply plug the Adventuretech VI in and you ready to go or are there special instructions and installation?

Real Name
    Antious Maximous
    03-31-14
    Well... I've officially giving up and lost that money for that panel from Nippy Norman. I dont think they will give me a refund after I spliced the wires. I called Adventuretech. I'm awaiting their feedback regarding their panel and LAMP errors on the BMW F800 series. Did you get any LAMP errors from your F800ST?

Real Name
    Robin
    09-10-17
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200RS
    Motorcycle
    '84 RD350LC YPVS (RZ350)
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I had no lamp warnings with any of the panels.
    Sorry that the rewiring didn't work out, it looks like the problem must have been in the connector itself (the one that plugs into the bulb socket). The splicing may have voided any and all warranties, but you never know - Norm is quite a stand-up guy. But even if you do get a replacement, the Canadian alternative is a much better choice IMO.

EDIT: If you tell VI Adventuretech which model and year bike you have, they'll be able to pick the best panel for your bike. Here's some of what Mike told me:

The RCL08 light for the R1200GS is a bit more complex, it has an extra circuit to deal with the canbus issues regarding the different modes we have encountered. The R1200GS tail light can operate in dual filament mode and with the different frequencies that the R1200GS uses. The physical size and shape are the same. You can use an RCL08 anywhere an RCL02 is used but not the other way around.

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between the RCL02 (which I ordered) and the RCL08 (which I got)? I've always regarded F800ST and R1200GS tail lights as pretty much interchangeable.

Real Name
    Damien
    05-07-14
    Motorcycle
    '14 S1000R
    So just got new tires mounted today and while they were putting my bike on the lift I noticed this:

Only had the panel from Nippy Norman's installed for a couple months and already had a strip of the LEDs fail. I will see if I can fix it myself after the races this weekend (or maybe if we have some down time in the pits). Problem is shipping it back to the UK from S Korea is not cheap, and I really don't think it would be a good idea to ride around with no tail light until the new one arrives either... Been exchanging emails with Norman and he does seem eager to make this right if I can't easily fix it myself, however I was already concerned about the quality of the panel after some of the posts on this and other threads. Just something to keep in mind if you are on the fence about this light like I was. I might have to look into that VI Adventuretech everyone keeps talking about. Do any shops that sell those ship overseas?

Real Name
    Robin
    09-10-17
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200RS
    Motorcycle
    '84 RD350LC YPVS (RZ350)
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnite View Post
    Do any shops that sell those ship overseas?
    Mine was shipped from Pacific Canada to Norway, so I guess that's at least a limited yes for direct from the manufacturer. As for their resellers in CA and US, I have no idea. You'd better check/ask yourself anyway, here are a couple of starting points:

http://www.adventuretech.ca/index.php?p=contact
    http://www.adventuretech.ca/index.php?p=dealers

04-04-16
    I just got a set of LED Taillights from VI Adventure Tech.
    Works great!
    These LED are bright!! Much brighter than the ones on my Givi cases from AdMore Lighting.
    The pulse flashing during braking really helps get you noticed, especially in foggy condition.
    The unit works straight out of the box with built-in resistors.

23. Thanks av8or21 thanked for this post
    Likes TelemarkTumalo, Brickhead liked this post
    Real Name
    Damien
    05-07-14
    Motorcycle
    '14 S1000R
    Well, a couple weeks after I noticed the strip of LED's failed, it started giving a lamp error and it stopped lighting up when I hit the brales. I sent it back to Nippy Norman's... on July 3rd... He seems to ignore most of my emails. Tracking says they tried to deliver it and left a notice, his response was he didn't get it. He didn't reply to my 4 emails telling him they tried to deliver it. By now my defective light is probably on its way back to me. I spent the extra money to ship EMS for nothing. Not at all happy with his service, or the quality of that light. Will definitely not be ordering from Nippy Norman's again. I guess I probably have to just call it a loss and order the Adventuretech, hopefully the build quality is better than that other piece of garbage.

Real Name
    Alan
    09-08-20
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200RS
    You could always buy the genuine BMW one....I put one on my ST and never had any problem.

(just make sure you order the correct canbus lead to go with it).
    Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler - Royal Enfield 250 Crusader - Norton Atlas 750 (two) - 25 years - F800ST - F800GT - R1200RS - R1250RT 

Real Name
    Damien
    05-07-14
    Motorcycle
    '14 S1000R
    Thanks. NN finally picked up the package and sent me out a new one, so I will probably wait until that one fails to buy something else.

Real Name
    Dave
    02-01-16
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800 ST
    Combined tail/stop/numberplate LED unit from Motorworks just fitted. Trailing plug fits into bulb socket and unit slides onto the screw posts. No modification and easily returned to standard if necessary. Compatible with both the ST & S. It works! Due to the failure rate, Nippy Norman has withdrawn the MOTO units. At £48 plus p+p these aren't necessarily cheap - but they are bright, and if I'm protected (hopefully) from ar*e-bandit car drivers, so much the better. Part number LIA70323 if anyone is interested, and there's a picture of the unit in my Garage https://f800riders.org/forum/garage.p..._view&id=37249
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LIA70323.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	68714  
    Last edited by Clwyd; 10-03-13 at 03:55 PM. Reason: finally cracked the pix!

28. Thanks mervingry thanked for this post

Real Name
    aritz
    06-26-14
    Hi all..I am trying to find on the web just the Clear or smoke lens for the tail, but I just Just find or leds panels or panels+lens. Anyone know where to find the same as original but in clear? I asked to Nippy Norman for example but they told me that is not available any more..

Thanks¡¡(Sorry about my poor English)

Real Name
    Antious Maximous
    03-31-14
    Hello Everyone! Well it's February in Chicago... You know what that means! I can feel spring coming soon and I can't wait to get back on my bike. If you are from the Chicago land area you know, great riding days are limited.

Just a quick update. I sent my LED panel back to Nippy's in June. After many, many follow-ups I finally got a new panel in late September. I installed the panel and it worked for about 3 days. The light comes on but it does not light-up when I step on the breaks.

I plan to order a new one from somewhere else before the winter ends. Any consensus on the best LED Panel and model number?

Thanks!

31. Thanks BackOntheBike thanked for this post

Real Name
    Antious Maximous
    03-31-14
    Well, I just ordered the VI Adventure Tech. I'm happy to hear NN is no longer selling the defective LED. I wish I could have received a refund. Will keep you posted.

Real Name
    Sergio
    07-17-20
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
    Stormbringer, are is that the original BMW back light or is it another brand?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2