AltRider Crash Bars & the 2013 BMW F800GS - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Will these crash bars still fit the 2013 F800GS? I am pretty sure they will but just checking, ROB?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chad
    10-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Altrider assured me, and provided pics, that the current crash bars work with the 2013 F800. I'm working through issues with my set and I'll update when it's over.
    Last edited by rpthaus; 09-04-12 at 08:12 PM.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I received an email from Alt Rider saying they were 99% sure they would fit but now we know. Also, Touratech said their handguards will not fit as well. I think changes were made and maybe the third party guys are behind or were not told. I will see if our old BMW handguards fit. Also, I bet the Jese crash guards won't fit either but we can test them with mine on my 650 right now. Interesting that this new "version" is leaving some guessing which makes me wonder if the Jesse mounts we took off Cheryl's bike will fit now...Al Jesse said yes but I wonder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chad
    10-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Ya, this hiccup has me wondering if all the new gear (skid plate, windscreen, hand guards, etc.) I've ordered will fit the 2013. I just hate purchasing these things only to return them the next day and wait weeks or months for the updated gear to be released.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    the MOD skid plate fits as well as the kickstand enlarger by MOD...we have them on Cheryl's bike right now. All other frame things...yeah I am wondering if they change bolt locations...mainly I am wondering about the luggage. That would suck if our Jesse mounts don't fit but I guess the good news would be that Al Jesse just needs to update his mounts because his panniers will fit any new mounts.

Real Name
    John
    01-07-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 CRF230L
    It appears Alt Rider has updated their site recently and noted some items that they are aware don't fit now. I'm still curious to see the crash bars installed. If anyone has pictures of the crash bars or skid plate on the 2013, please post. I'm thinking that the new plastics have the wind deflector built in on the bike and therefore the plastics may be slightly wider on the new model.

As a side note, I purchased the Barkbuster Storm hand guard kit for the F800GS and they do not fit. Many subtle changes that all the 3rd party companies need to get caught up on.
    Lets hope they do so quickly.

Real Name
    Chad
    10-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Slappy, the Altrider bars are wide enough for the new F800.
    I currently have the Barkbuster VPS headed my way and you're scaring me with the BB Storm fitment.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Yeah AltRider mailed me back and said YES they fit. They went to a dealer to make sure. Good news! Handguards are weird...seems as though we will have to drill the end holes bigger...more about that when we try.

Real Name
    Jeremy LeBreton
    03-07-14
    Hey guys,
    This is Jeremy from AltRider here and I wanted to post a few pictures up of the installed AltRider crash bars on the new F800 GS since you all were wondering what they looked like installed.

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Fixed your pictures there, Jeremy.
    Forum Owner Emeritus

Rob Werksman - Owner, Motorcycle Insight, LLC
    F800 Depot | S1000RR Depot | Adventure Motorcycle Depot | Twalcom USA
    North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, [email protected], Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

13. ThanksAltRider thanked for this post
    Zelhem, Netherlands de100kb is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Karim
    08-28-18
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    Hi Jeremy and welcome to F800riders.org. Your (first) posting here was marked as 'possible spam' so I had to approve it before it became visable.

<edit> Rob has fixed it</edit>

15. ThanksAltRider thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappyhamguy View Post
    As a side note, I purchased the Barkbuster Storm hand guard kit for the F800GS and they do not fit. Many subtle changes that all the 3rd party companies need to get caught up on.
    Lets hope they do so quickly.
    Thanks for posting that! I was about to order Barkbusters for my (not yet delivered) 2013 F800GS. (I also wanted the Kaoko throttle control that's compatible with the Barkbusters.)

So right now what's safe (thanks Leslie) is the MOD skid plate and kickstand enlarger.

I'm also looking at the Adv-Spec engine protection bars but they haven't replied yet to my asking them if they've confirmed whether the bars will or will not fit.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I am going to start a new thread but here is the scoop we are finding out. The frames on both the 700 and 800's are the same but it's the fairing and for some reason grips that are different. So, before buying anything that does not attach to the frame you need to ask if what you are buying is compatible with the 2013 models. Our favorite shield Cee Bailey will not fit this bike. The BMW bracket is not correct wither for the enhanced version of the shield. BMW hand guards from last years model will not fit as well as Barkbuster and TT. So, it seems the plastic where bolts/screws go in etc..have been relocated. Cee Bailey had no idea until I pointed out our new shields did not work. Sux, have to send them back and no eta on the new version of their shields right now. No ETA on hand guards as well. Seems like the only options are buying BMW accessories...I detect a conspiracy....

18. Thanksde100kb thanked for this post

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I know this is about crash guards but here is what I was told about the shield..AltRider guards are A-OK to buy

Leslie,

The pictures explain it all so feel print it out to show your dealer, the lower mounting portion is completely different, for the mean time I think your best option will be to wait and see until this gets dialed in over the next few months. Also feel free to post this anywhere you like as this will save a lot of time and grief for many riders. When the time comes and we have the offering let me know and we’ll work out a special just for you, BTW we’ve updated our listings to reflect the advisory.

Regards,
    Montebello, CA 90640
    www.ceebaileys.com
    Phone: (800) 788-0618 x337
    Fax: (323) 721-7888

Real Name
    Chad
    10-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    For those interested in the Mirage 2 windscreen, Ian, from Britannia Composites, is checking on compatibility with the new 2013. I'll post when I hear from him.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by AltRider View Post
    Hey guys,
    This is Jeremy from AltRider here and I wanted to post a few pictures up of the installed AltRider crash bars on the new F800 GS since you all were wondering what they looked like installed.

Jeremy, thanks for the pictures..we have been in touch with your company. Any way to show a head on picture? I am just curious about the coverage on the new fairing...if dumped in your opinion will the upper part be protected?

Real Name
    John
    01-07-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 CRF230L
    Thanks for posting those pics. I've told my local dealer to let me know when a black set of bars come in. So Altrider please ship them out soon.
    That said, I agree with soph9, could you post a picture from a head on position to see the clearance for the plastics? It would really help clear things up for every one.
    Also, post some of your skid plate if you get that installed too.

As for the Barkbusters, I've been emailing back and forth with our friends down under and I am sending them some measurements and pictures tomorrow. We are thinking that a suitable option may include using the stock end weights and a different backbone.

I'll start another thread if things work out and let you know the details.
    Until then, as far as I am aware, the current kit for an 800GS does not fit.

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Just got an email back from Adventure-Spec concerning their engine protection bars and the 2013 F800GS... They can NOT yet confirm that their bars will fit. SIGH

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    yep me too but they said its in the pipeline So does that mean the frame has indeed changed? I asked that question to ADV spec and will post their reply

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Update Adv Spec they will most likely fit it's about coverage. They are getting back to me

If you see typos it's my phones fault!

Real Name
    Jeremy LeBreton
    03-07-14
    Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    Jeremy, thanks for the pictures..we have been in touch with your company. Any way to show a head on picture? I am just curious about the coverage on the new fairing...if dumped in your opinion will the upper part be protected?
    Here's the best head-on picture that I took of our bars on the F800:

Soph9,
    You can see from the front shot that we provide approximate 1.5" to 2" clearance around the fairings for 2 different reasons. First, these bikes are heavy and even at 10 mph, there is a lot of inertia causing the possibility of the bars to flex upon impact so we don't want them flexing into the fairings. Second, the stand-off distance prevents the bike from rolling beyond the bars, protecting the upper fairings.

That being said, I do want to say that there is no perfect crash bar and if you crash hard enough, you can still damage the fairings (as we've all probably learned, every crash is different!). Saying this, I can confirm that more times than not, you will ride away with the AltRider design.

As a design standard, we don't run our bars longer than 11"-17" without a return strut to support part of the crashbar to the bike. Often you see designs that have long tubes reaching higher than the blinkers. While that initially appears to be a lot of protection, the reality is, the assembly will easily bend into the bike during the crash. This is why our crash bar systems all have a 1" stout tube so we don't travel greater than 11-17 inches with support.

Btw, thank you moderators for fixing the pictures

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    thanks Jeremy that shows exactly what we needed to see...appreciate you doing that!

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    we ended up getting the AltRider crash bars and head light protector. Seems like the guards will cover the fairing well in a dump and the light guard is a nice set up too. AltRider gang were really nice as well. Rode down there earlier this past week.

Light guard

Added riser too. Has anyone installed LED aux lights yet? If so where and what mount did you use? We have Denali lights just waiting for a mounting idea.

Real Name
    Friends call me Kelsow
    11-23-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Soph, why didn't the dealer credit you for the stock tires instead of you having to sell them privately?

Just wondering.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    they just don't do that...I sold them for a really decent price...to a Tiger owner. worked out to be honest. We got a deal on the K60's and free install if that counts?

Real Name
    John
    01-07-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 CRF230L
    Got My Altrider Crash Bars installed yesterday finally. I love love love how they look on the 2013.
    Although, I'm a little ticked that they came out of the package with a scratch on them already. I would have thought they had better QC. I'll contact Altrider and see if they can send some touch up or something.
    I should add, that they went on easily and relatively quickly. although, they don't seem to include thread lock in the package and you might require a long shank T50 to install the engine bolts depending on how slim your socket set may be.

Thanks Altrider guys for the great product.

05-22-16
    I managed to slightly bend mine last night on the way home. At present the right hand one is closer to the bike than the left hand one. And very lightly scuffed. Must get some touch up paint and see how I get them back into shape.

Bike's 100% fine though - they did their job
    Last edited by eaterofcheese; 10-24-12 at 04:56 PM.

Real Name
    Bertrand
    09-23-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    New 2013 owner here, from Québec. Upgraded from a 2012 Sertao. Wow : I love the F8. I think I will go with the AltRider crash bars, based on this thread. Is their skid plate recommended by riders on this forum as well ? 350 kms since I got the bike Friday at noon ans the temps are hovering around 3 Celsius. Saw no other motorcycles on the roads...

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Salut Bertrand, et bienvenu! Welcome!

Are you in Quebec City? I'm in Montreal. I haven't gotten my F8 yet (it'll arrive over the winter) but I'm still riding... You obviously weren't in my area or you would have seen me. Like prior years I hope to keep riding until our Dec 15th snow tire law comes into effect. Unless there's snow or ice on the roads of course.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the MOD skidplate and sidestand foot enlarger and with Alt-Rider (maybe Touratech) for the engine bars. And Zega Pro black anodized panniers, Touratech headlight protector, Barkbusters hand guards and Kaoko throttle control.

Also trying to decide on best lighhting options because at my age I don't see as well at night as in my youth. I want both better "be seen" lighting as well as better "see" lighting.

What color is your bike? Mine will be Kalamata Metallic.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by qcridgerunner View Post
    New 2013 owner here, from Québec. Upgraded from a 2012 Sertao. Wow : I love the F8. I think I will go with the AltRider crash bars, based on this thread. Is their skid plate recommended by riders on this forum as well ? 350 kms since I got the bike Friday at noon ans the temps are hovering around 3 Celsius. Saw no other motorcycles on the roads...

Real Name
    Bertrand
    09-23-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Hi Eldor
    Thanks for your reply. I am in the Magog area and there is snow on my lawn this morning! I stumbled on the MOD bash plate after posting my message yesterday and will go with that. I ordered the Alt Rider lexan light guard and will go with the 31/38 black Zega Pro panniers. Will probably install the Denali DM1 lights, like I had on my Sertao. I went for the BMW tankbag (great - with an Iphone sleeve in the map compartment) and the BMW hand guards. The bike is Alpine White and came with TKC 80s, the comfort group and the anti-theft alarm. I love the ESA !
    Cheers!
    B

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Bertrand, just in case you don't know, you can change your location in your profile so that it shows Magog, Quebec, or Magog, Canada. It's always nice for us to know where someone is, especially if we're reasonably close to each other. I'm sure that next season we'll get a chance to meet and probably ride together. You're in a wonderful area for riding, although I've only been on the paved roads in the area so far.

Who's your dealer? The one in Sherbrooke?

I'm getting knobbies on my bike, and my dealer (Moto International in Montreal) couldn't tell me what brand/model they'd be. And because of the factory-lowered suspension I'm getting, I wasn't able to get ESA (or center stand).

I guess you were pretty happy with the DM1 lights or you wouldn't be putting them on your new bike. I'll have to go check out what they are... fog or driving? Do you leave them on all the time for better "be seen" visibility?

I have the BMW tank bag on my K1300GT and maybe I should check to see if I can buy a second mounting strap set so I could use the bag on either bike. But I've got a pretty nice Wolfman bag that I'd been using on my Triumph Tiger. The mounting isn't as nice as the BMW one though.

As far as headlight guards go, make sure if you're going with a lexan one, that it's easy to remove it for cleaning and also that there's some sort of shade at the top of it so that you don't get light bouncing back to you or your windshield. I'm probably going with the quick-release wire-type headlight protector from Touratech.

Finally, if you don't already know about it, check out the i-bmw.com website. It's one of the best BMW sites on the web and there are a surprising number of members there from all around Quebec. Hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    We have the Denali lights as well and leave them on all the time for visibility. We had them on our 650's and were tapped into the canbus wire. When you turn the key off and if you forgot to turn the lights off they would automatically turn off in about 45 secs. We just need a mount for the new bikes and they are going back on ASAP!

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I'm guessing that you used the existing power connection meant for GPS, as I did on my K1300GT. That keeps power for about 30-45 seconds after you turn off the key. After living with that for a couple of years I won't do that again. I'm tired of people telling me I left my lights on. Next time I'm going to take power from something like a tail light. I'm assuming you use a fuse panel with relay (like the Centech AP-2) and that takes so little power to trigger the relay that the taillights will probably be enough, without influencing the Canbus.

How were your Denali lights configured? As fog or driving lights?

Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    We have the Denali lights as well and leave them on all the time for visibility. We had them on our 650's and were tapped into the canbus wire. When you turn the key off and if you forgot to turn the lights off they would automatically turn off in about 45 secs. We just need a mount for the new bikes and they are going back on ASAP!

Real Name
    Bertrand
    09-23-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Thanks for the tips Eldor. I wired the DM1s to the high beam on the Sertao. The switch that comes with the harness makes it poossible to turn them off. On the F8, there is an auxiliary ligth switch, which is very nice. Anybody know if the F800 is CANBUS (I am a tad lazy...) ?
    Also : the AltRider lexan guard comes with an anti glare piece and my dealer is Performance NC in Sherbrooke. Good folks.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS

Real Name
    Doug
    01-30-17
    Motorcycle
    '04 R1150RT
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Up front, an easy relay trigger wire is the one for the 'parking' light in the headlight, if you want one that goes off right away when the key is turned off.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I like the delay especially when it's dark out.

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Hey Sturgeon, there's really something fishy about your name here... Where abouts in the "Great White North" are you? I'm in Montreal.

Thanks for the tip about the parking light making for a good trigger wire. Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Up front, an easy relay trigger wire is the one for the 'parking' light in the headlight, if you want one that goes off right away when the key is turned off.

Real Name
    Doug
    01-30-17
    Motorcycle
    '04 R1150RT
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldor View Post
    Hey Sturgeon, there's really something fishy about your name here... Where abouts in the "Great White North" are you? I'm in Montreal.
    I'm in Ont. Sturgeon was my grandfather's given name. Lots of odd names in my family.

Real Name
    Andrew Phillips
    08-20-13
    I slapped on the crash bars and skid plate this morning. Easy peasy.

46. Likesmythicyeti liked this post