What do you do for a living? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

10-21-19
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I have to update my answer here! I just changed career and started to become an Elevator Mechanic! Quite a pay-cut and risking lay-offs but in the long game it was the choice to make .

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    8 Hours Ago
    I keep on hearing stories like yours, Steve. Our governments of both persuasions keep tabs on companies' tax contributions but when it comes to the mandated super contributions they seem to have very selective amnesia. Many companies block employees' access to their super account details making it very hard for them to vigilant. The whole super scene is unnecessarily complicated, seemingly deliberately.
    Hope you get some resolution, mate. Keep screaming, the squeaky door gets all the oil (10/50 full synthetic of course)...

4. Thankssteve n rose thanked for this post
    LikesRoadpizza, padaek liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by PegasusJockey View Post
    i have to agree
    it does not matter as much what one does for a living anyway
    what matters the most is the type of person they are
    and we all share one common love
    I opened this thread this morning and thought for sure I'd replied already. I guess I haven't. Part of the reason is I don't like to make too much of a fuss about what I did. The last line in that quote is most important.

After college, I joined the USAF as an Aircraft Maintenance Officer. I spent the next 12 years in Washington state, at RAF Mildenhall, UK and then in Upstate New York at Rome, NY. After 12 years, I got out and went back to the Seattle area. Worked at a aircraft overhaul company, then got a job at Boeing where I stayed for the next 27 years. In the meantime, I went into the Washington State Air National Guard over at Spokane, then transferred to McChord AFB in Tacoma in the Western Air Defense Sector. We were like what you think of as NORAD, monitoring flights coming into the US. Finished up there as the Deputy Commander of Logistics. When 9/11 happened, I had six days left before retiring...and was called up on Active Duty. Such is life.

In the meantime, I worked at Boeing. Started in 777 Program Planning. We did planning for the new systems on the airplane. I got a number of the avionics plans because of my USAF background. I also helped with the engine plans and others. It was really a cool moment to walk out to the first 777 and look at the airplane, knowing I had a part in making that happen. After a few years of this, computers started becoming more common. I had started a side business building and maintaining computers; stopped doing that though after only a couple years. It was more trouble than the money I was making. The nice part of working for a company like Boeing, is that you can change occupations and still stay in the same company. So I asked my managers to transfer to IT and spent the next ten years doing that. After awhile though, Boeing started outsourcing parts of IT and I had to leave getting paid for my "hobby". I got into project management and "scheduling". It was one of the best moves of my career. While others were being laid-off (redundant), Boeing needed to keep that scheduling skill around. In the last couple years, I was scheduling the development of the new planes (787, 777X and 737 Max) manuals. It doesn't sound like much, but the people creating the manuals had to get the engineering information as it was released in time to put into things like the flight manuals and repair manuals. For one manual alone, we were looking at over 10,000 activities to plan.

One of the fun things about the job though, was the commute. I live up north just south of Everett and my commute was often to the south end of Seattle. There is nothing like the feeling of sweeping through the curves in the HOV lane leading under Seattle's Convention Center at 60 mph and passing a couple miles of traffic that's crawling along in the main lines. I looked forward to that commute each day...the longer, the better. It gave me an excuse to ride. Since 2006, I've put about 140,000 miles of commuting...so much more fun than sitting in a cage, feeling caged.

I retired last April for the last time. At least, from "paid" work. I'm still involved in some of the things I was doing before. I go to the local prison for a few different ministries. Still involved in a number of things at church too. As long as it isn't both dark and raining...it gives me an excuse to ride.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Leptitmotard View Post
    I have to update my answer here! I just changed career and started to become an Elevator Mechanic! Quite a pay-cut and risking lay-offs but in the long game it was the choice to make .

I heard there are a lot of ups and downs in that business. I hope this new job lifts your spirit and you don't get shafted.

Okay, that's it. I humbly apologize.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

8. LikesIanA, padaek, Roadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Steve
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    So you should! I didn't see "comedian" in your job post.
    As of Mon, 1st Feb 2016- ;
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery,
    Today is a gift (that's why it's called "the present")
    #1 tip I ride by: Ride as though you're invisible, not invincible
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless 

02-28-18
    Motorcycle
    '15 FJ-09
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I was wondering about this question this morning. Last year, it was so simple, if completely miserable. I could have answered "Bean Counter for a multinational". Which was what my parents and teachers had all told me would give me the greatest happiness and the American Dream ( whatever that is). After years of expanding misery in the job, I realized it wasn't the job so much as it was not the job for me. Now, I can answer "Bean Counter", teacher, and artist, all at the same time. Right when I had thought I would just walk away from the bean counting, I was transferred to a far better type of beans to count, I started teaching writing and math, and had a huge art commission dropped in my lap. Suddenly, what I hated doing but had to has become much more tolerable, I am making a difference in the world, and I have discovered I have art skills that are uncommon, appreciated, and in demand. Aint life funny?
    How much do you need before you have enough? 

11. LikesDaboo, Roadpizza, nkaj, steve n rose, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Ken Wright
    1 Week Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
    I was wondering about this question this morning. Last year, it was so simple, if completely miserable. I could have answered "Bean Counter for a multinational". Which was what my parents and teachers had all told me would give me the greatest happiness and the American Dream ( whatever that is). After years of expanding misery in the job, I realized it wasn't the job so much as it was not the job for me. Now, I can answer "Bean Counter", teacher, and artist, all at the same time. Right when I had thought I would just walk away from the bean counting, I was transferred to a far better type of beans to count, I started teaching writing and math, and had a huge art commission dropped in my lap. Suddenly, what I hated doing but had to has become much more tolerable, I am making a difference in the world, and I have discovered I have art skills that are uncommon, appreciated, and in demand. Aint life funny?
    Sounds as if you've 'got it right'. As I can testify, it makes life so much better and brighter!

13. LikesDooder liked this post

Real Name
    Rich Roy
    12-19-19
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Retired and loving it. The. Stress factor was getting higher every year at work .glad it’s over. Maybe that’s way the highways around hear have so many A Holes on them there all stressed out from there job.

15. LikesRoadpizza liked this post
    Cascade Locks, Oregon, US Roadpizza is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Philip
    10 Hours Ago
    Amen Bro...
    http://www.thefcconnection.com/pictu...the_week22.htm
    BMW F800S…….
    po tym jak zatwierdzę wiadomo¶ć

Ezekiel 23:19-20 

03-04-18
    touring drummer and when I’m home I paint custom helmets for clients www.royalessex.com www.ryondrums.com
    Last edited by Ryondrums; 02-13-18 at 11:00 AM.

18. LikesRichard230, steve n rose, IanA, GScarri82 liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Recently retired me became an appliance repair guy.
    Fixed my dryer that was shedding a strip of metal on the front of the drum and today i was a water heater tech and replaced a dead heater.
    I'm getting to old for this sort of fun. But I saved myself several hundred bucks. I don't know what sears would have charged to fix the dryer but the R&R on a heater is $375 at Home Despot.
    'Merican enginuity and cheap ass!

It took me a long time it seems before I found the right thing, now I am self employed as a heavy equipment owner and sometimes operator still. When I bought my first piece of equipment I ran it all the time, but as I added more machines, I operated it less and less, and managed it more, run around getting parts, etc. Now I basically oversee it all, am the holiday fill in guy, or sick days, or whenever I am needed to run a piece.
    Before that I was a waiter, car dealership parts man, Journeyman Auto Technician, who quit the dealer I worked at to go run equipment for a logging company, back as a Tech for a different brand of automobiles, and hated it, so quit and ran equipment for an excavation company, that is when I found out what I really like to do.
    Don't worry be happy! 

21. LikesRichard230 liked this post

12-18-18
    I am running a clinic known as Corion Fertility Clinic.

Real Name
    Bill
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I'm not sure if I've already replied to this thread and I'm way too lazy to scroll through all the replies. When this thread was started I had just retired for a 2nd time. The first retirement was from the HON Company in Musctine, Iowa. They manufactured office furniture and I worked to avoid being fired. No easy task. Retired from HON in 2002 and went to work for Gina's BMW Motorcyles in Iowa City, Iowa the same year. Left there in December of 2006. I now consider myself "self unemployed." A Sweet Gig.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

Real Name
    Laurent
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I'm working as engineer for General Electric, dealing with non-conformities at the final assembly of Gas turbines (40-300MW in single cycle).
    The largest unit ever built (440 tons) has left the factory last week :

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    That's one big ass trailer.
    What's the efficiency rate on a 300MW turbine? Where was it housed after shipping?

Real Name
    Laurent
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    That's one big ass trailer.
    What's the efficiency rate on a 300MW turbine? Where was it housed after shipping?
    The whole convoy weighs 880 tons and is 125 yards long.
    The max power in combined cycle is 570MW with 64% of efficiency.
    This one is going to Malaysia.

Real Name
    Robert
    11-04-19
    I teach people how to ride motorcycles.
    The pay, the hours, and often the weather is shit.
    on the other hand, I teach people how to ride motorcycles!

03-22-19
    I am a research writer

Real Name
    David
    09-02-19
    Motorcycle
    '11 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '57 Bantam D3
    These days I am running all the tech for a convention company - so I provide and manage all the stage, sound, light, and video requirements. We get actors from various TV shows to come on stage and talk about the shows they are in, current projects they are involved with, and pretty much anything else they fancy! Then in the evenings of the shows we run discos... it doesn't pay a lot but on the up side I often have a lot of free time between shows to get out on the bike!
    Any idiot can squeeze a trigger.
    It takes a special kind of idiot to use a sword. 

14 Hours Ago
    For 20 years I have been working in IT around the world (Canada, Argentina, Italy, and now Spain), during the last 2 working for the biggest food company in the world, in the Infrastructure department. Some days are good, some days are boring, but it cames with the job. The good thing is that i have a lot of spare time to spend with my kid and my bike .
    And I am lucky to be in Barcelona, where almost never rains, so i can always ride.

31. LikesDaboo, Richard230, IanA liked this post

10-04-19
    manager in a logistic company

12-19-19
    Nothing terribly exciting here. Pediatric dentist so I have lots of enemies.

34. LikesRoadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Philip
    10 Hours Ago
    I saw the thread and decided to update... Retired. I have decided I should have made a career of retirement from the beginning and not go through the rest of the mess.
    Last edited by Roadpizza; 12-19-19 at 10:10 AM.
    BMW F800S…….

36. LikesIanA liked this post

48 Minutes Ago
    I’m lucky enough to say I restore classic vehicles and general ‘multi trade’. It’s busy, it’s different and it’s very enjoyable

38. LikesRoadpizza liked this post

12-23-19
    Sounds like you could have turned your hobby into a profession...

Real Name
    Bill
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I never minded hard work. I can sit and watch it for hours.
    Last edited by Roadpizza; 12-23-19 at 12:02 PM.

41. LikesRichard230, Roadpizza, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Philip
    10 Hours Ago
    I love sitting watching the wheels go round and round, I like to watch them roll....
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWilly View Post
    I never minded hard work. I can sit and watch it for hours.
    BMW F800S…….

43. LikesWildWilly liked this post

48 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by 800simon View Post
    Sounds like you could have turned your hobby into a profession...
    Well, I suppose it is a profession. It’s nice that after many years of work I still think about it and enjoy it. Every single morning is like going to a new challenge on how I can make another part or repair, there is a lot of self satisfaction in it.

Real Name
    Guido
    1 Week Ago
    when I started to study musicology I turned the passion for the music into a profession, but I realized that I was become a musicologist only when, going to listen the concerts, the people started to call me "Maestro" and the other musicologists started to treat me as one of them. even now that I'm retired (I had to do it because of my accident four years ago) I still find hard to believe that I had this great fortune. here it's difficult to find a job, to find the job that you love is nearly impossible. I really miss my job.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

46. LikesRoadpizza, Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by guidoveloce View Post
    when I started to study musicology I turned the passion for the music into a profession, but I realized that I was become a musicologist only when, going to listen the concerts, the people started to call me "Maestro" and the other musicologists started to treat me as one of them. even now that I'm retired (I had to do it because of my accident four years ago) I still find hard to believe that I had this great fortune. here it's difficult to find a job, to find the job that you love is nearly impossible. I really miss my job.
    As a lifelong lover of music and a musician I wish you peace.

48. LikesRoadpizza, guidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by matt376 View Post
    Nothing terribly exciting here. Pediatric dentist so I have lots of enemies.
    Just little ones.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Like Daboo, I thought (still think?) I had responded to this thread, but maybe not? This thread has been around way longer than I have been a member of the forum, so there is lots to read here. I really admire some of you folks and your stories here. Amazing how a simple question can pull such great tidbits of info from you.

My personal career choice was the US Army (my dad was a career soldier, too) and I served 23 years in uniform all over the globe, and then another 15 as a civilian contractor for the Army. My only shooting-combat was Vietnam, but over the years most of the world has been in some sort of turmoil, so I've a lot of memories. I have been an Infantry Ranger, an artilleryman, and finally a Military Intelligence guy.

Again, thanks for your (mostly) neat stories of your careers (and your lives).
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Real Name
    Miguel
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I am a Mechanical Engineer that took the Process Improvement Engineering path as a way of living so I have worked in manufacturing and service industries telling others how to improve and save peanuts...
    I have lived in 3 different countries around Europe (Spain, Germany and now, England the last 5 years) and, who knows which one will be next.

52. LikesRichard230, Roadpizza liked this post

18 Hours Ago
    I am a Wind Turbine Service Technician in South Africa.

I carry out repairs and maintenance of all the lifting machinery, service lifts, ladders and assist with general turbine repairs.

I travel extensively and away from home for 2 to 3 weeks at a time.

I am a certified lifting machinery inspector, certified inspector and installer and maintenance for service lifts and ladder system, certified trainer for service lift operator. I studied mechanical engineering when I was much younger.

Hope you all found my current employment interesting and different to an every day job. The best part of my work is my office view, changes every day! See attached photo of a recent visit to one of our 9 sites in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

54. LikesRoyce, Daboo, Richard230 liked this post

18 Hours Ago
    Forgot to mention my hobby.

I am an full time marine and fresh water aquariumist with currently 14 aquariums around the house. Main aquariums are marine and smaller are fresh water. I design and manufacture LED aquarium light assemblies with amazing results.

Some pics of my aquariums:

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

56. LikesDaboo, Richard230, GScarri82 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Royden Church View Post
    Hope you all found my current employment interesting and different to an every day job. The best part of my work is my office view, changes every day! Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I find it fascinating to find out what people do for a living. Back when I was in High School, everyone would ask us what we'd be when we grew up. Most answered with the standard occupations...policeman, doctor, lawyer, etc. Only three people said anything unusual. Two girls said they wanted to be prostitutes. Back in 1970, that raised a lot of eyebrows. One guy said he wanted to be an undertaker. I wonder if that was the family business.

I ended up going to college and eventually ended up in ROTC. When I got out of the US Air Force 12 years later, I started looking around at what was available for jobs. I was amazed at the different career fields that we never knew were possible in high school, and many had not even been created.

So yes, I find what you do to be interesting.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

58. LikesGScarri82 liked this post
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15