BMW F800 Forum banner

Blew up my motor in Mexico

15K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
With 213,184 miles on my beloved F800S, it has decided to take a vacation. I had just arrived in Cabo San Lucas, MX on Friday, and as I pulled into town, I heard a strange squeal, followed up a sound similar to the engine increasing in RPMs. The problem is, I had not moved the throttle! Almost at the same time, I started to feel something strange on my left side. Looking down, oil was covering my boot!!

I immediately turned off the engine, and examined the motorcycle. I was frightened to discover a hole the size of a half dollar on the left side of the motor. [:(!] Fortunately, I do have a spare motor back in California from my parted out F800S (I bought it used, for spares for my bike), which I am going to have shipped down here. I expect it to arrive by Wednesday, and I suspect I will be back on the road on Friday. I do need to find a place to work on the motorcycle here, however.

Photos will follow as I investigate the cause, and do the motor reinstall. But as of now, I would venture to say that the life of the Rotax motor installed on our motorcycles is approximately 210,000 miles.

#8 ·
I'm still trying to get mine over 21,000 miles. But the temp this AM is 21F (nice symmetry, that) so I don't think I'll be adding any miles.

Will be standing by to learn what gave out.

#9 ·
So far, it appears that a chunk of connecting rod made a hasty exit. The question remains, WHY?
I am working on getting the engine shipped here. So far, it looks like I may have a riding partner build a small crate for it, and package it up, and drive it to LAX. With it packaged like so, Alaska Airlines will fly it down on one of their non stop flights, and I can import it.

#12 ·
I have received an offer to rebuild my motor for me for free, if the company making the offer can keep it for at least four weeks to examine the motor after 200,000+ miles. They have offered to ship me a loaner motor in the meantime, if I cannot get my spare motor here. So far, this is looking like it is going to end really well!!!

I can only assume they are a reader here, because I have not posted this dilemma elsewhere. How they got my phone number, I have not a clue

#14 ·
This is getting more and more interesting. Yours is a much more extreme example of a mishap than I have had and wish you the best getting back on the road quickly. In my mishaps I have always been fortunate enough that things always turned out better than expected and I was able to meet some nice people and got some good memories and wild stories to tell from it. Seems like yours is going to be similar. Its funny the quirks of fate that happens isn't it.

#17 ·
Amazing! I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience, but you seem to be regarding it as a bit of an adventure, so enjoy the excitement! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. Best of luck with whatever engine ends up going into the bike.

#51 ·
I lost a pair of prescription glasses a couple of weeks ago, I wonder? Should I ask them for help? [lol][lol][lol]

No seriously, 210k is an great achievement, you must have a very, very comfortable seat, or an iron ass!
Please post your photos, we're all waiting.[thumb]

#25 ·
This is one of the best stories I've heard on any bike forum, let alone this one which has tended to veer slightly towards the doom side of the divide in the past.

Reinforces what I was getting told while I sorted out a list of issues on my bike. . . . once sorted these are a sweet bike that will last as long as any BMW with their legendary longevity.
Kinda intrigued as to who picked up the tab on this, but a double thumbs up to them whoever they are.

#27 ·
"That's pretty amazing! I don't think I've ridden 230,000 miles on all my motorcycles combined in the last 20 years."

Rob's a WEENIE.[lol]
I put 217K miles on my R65LS, 135K on my 80/7 and lots 'o miles on the other beemers. Rough calculation says I've done 539K on beemers and have had a couple other brands during that time too. Trick is to not stop fur nuthin!
Helps to have a destination though.[:D]

What is really rare is for the Manufacture to come along and ask to see a high mileage failure. Anyone hear of them asking to do a swap of the rear drive when it crapped out? other than begrudgingly.
I think they are astounded at the longevity and want to see what they over built so they can cut back in the future.[:p]

#28 ·
I think they are astounded at the longevity and want to see what they over built so they can cut back in the future.[:p]
^ This.
I do machinery design (construction vehicles) for living. NotA's assumption is spot on!
The manufacturers would often try to save costs and increase profits in much more desperate ways and this golden opportunity is quite bombproof for them, they simply can not miss it.

#33 ·
Mind you while shortened product life equals a higher turn around of new bike sales, the brands reputation is built on history and longevity - factor in the steep parts prices and I'm not sure it would benefit them if they made their bikes last half the distance.
Think of the Lexus factor, build them to last 300k miles and at half that virtually none will have had any issue whatsoever

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.