What's second choice after Altrider for Engine Bars? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    What's the second choice/preference for black engine bars for a 2013 F800GS after AltRider?

I'd pretty much decided on AltRider and "placed" my order with them this morning. Just got an email saying that because I'm in Canada, I would have to deal with another company called DualSportPlus.

And their price is almost $50 MORE than from AltRider!! (The Canadian dollar and US dollar are VERY close in exchange these days.)

Not only that, but I'd actually tried placing my order a couple of days ago, for the engine bars and a bunch of other stuff. One of the items in my shopping cart came up as "backordered / in production" with the note that I should contact their sales dept for information. I did that, and so far there has been absolutely no response from them. So I gave up and ordered just the engine bars, and now they want me to buy from someone else at an unfairly inflated price. SIGH

So what's next for choice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Charlie
    06-10-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    When I bought my bike my dealer had SW Motech in stock so I had them put on. They seem fine to me and have protected my plastic on my few topples so far.
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light 

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Thanks very much, Charlie. I'm gonna place a fairly large order with Twisted Throttle and will include the SW Motech bars. Those were the ones I was thinking would be the best alternative. And they're just over half the cost of the AltRiders too!

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Roddy
    05-08-16
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Try Adventure Spec in UK. Excellent service. $270 plus express shipping at a low rate. On your doorstep within a couple of days, possibly even overnight. The bars are excellent. Beware cheap bars that may deform when they are asked to do their job.

Real Name
    Devon
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F650GS (Twin)
    I have the SW-Motechs' and think they are great bang for buck .... and look good too

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    The only thing with ADV Spec is the duty we have to pay when they arrive...duty on anything we buy out of NA....something to think about when ordering over seas...I would have paid the extra $50 bucks though for AltRider...or have them shipped to the border if you are not that far..IMHO

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I concur on the Sw-Motechs. Great bang for the buck.

If you're doing an international order, you should also contact Bill @ F800 Depot. He'll hook you up, and everything will be sent USPS which will save on brokerage fees.
    Forum Owner Emeritus

Rob Werksman - Owner, Motorcycle Insight, LLC
    F800 Depot | S1000RR Depot | Adventure Motorcycle Depot | Twalcom USA
    North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, [email protected], Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

Real Name
    Dave
    04-18-16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I concur on the Sw-Motechs.
    Rob, can you confirm that the SW-M Crash Bars are fully compatible with the '13 bike? They obviously do bolt on, but I've seen a couple of photos forum members have posted and the clearance between the bars and the plastics is minimal. The OEM site lists those bars as being for the 08-12 bike. And as far as I know the '13 bike is wider in that area than the '12.

Real Name
    Rob
    01-11-16
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldor View Post
    I would have to deal with another company called DualSportPlus.

And their price is almost $50 MORE than from AltRider!! (The Canadian dollar and US dollar are VERY close in exchange these days.)

DSP is awesome!!!

Funny how everyone forgets about shipping and duties to Canada! If they were shipped from AltRider you would pay more in the end. There was $40.69 shipping from Altrider on your order, plus customs fees and shipping from DSP with no duties would be approx. $25.00 or so
    drcool rides with me. 

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    No duty on AltRider just tax. They are made in the USA.

If you see typos it's my phones fault!

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I guess what was frustrating is that the AltRider site allowed me to place and complete my order and gave me a price with shipping TO CANADA and THEN sent me an email saying that I must buy from a different company in Canada which charges what I consider to be an unfair markup. And as you pointed out in another message, there is no duty to pay on products made in North America, only shipping, and I thought the $40 charge from AltRider was reasonable. Considering that the dollar is just about at par now, an extra $50 charge plus shipping is (again in my opinion) unfair gouging. Left me with a bad feeling all around.

Do you really think the AltRider bars are much better than say the SW Motech?

Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    The only thing with ADV Spec is the duty we have to pay when they arrive...duty on anything we buy out of NA....something to think about when ordering over seas...I would have paid the extra $50 bucks though for AltRider...or have them shipped to the border if you are not that far..IMHO

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Can't say. Never used any other crash bars other than Jesse.

If you see typos it's my phones fault!

Real Name
    Rob
    01-11-16
    Eldor, what do you do for a living??

DSP, of course, is going to mark up the product. It's called profit! (minus their overhead)
    drcool rides with me. 

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Oh come on, Robbie! Please don't imply that I don't know what profit and markup is.

And as a fellow Canadian, surely you've often encountered companies which mark up products from the States far more than any exchange rate justifies. Don't overlook the fact that DSP is NOT paying RETAIL for those parts (and if they are, they shouldn't be). They're getting dealer pricing, possibly even distributor pricing, which should allow them to retail the product (any product) at a price comparable to the US retail. IF they were paying retail for the product, then yes, a $50 markup on that product would be reasonable. But it wouldn't be reasonable for them to be paying the same retail price for the product as anyone else buying a one-of.

And for the record, I own an art gallery and picture framing RETAIL business with 14 employees which has successfully existed for 61 years now. (I've been running it for over 20 years.) So I certainly do understand markups, exchange rates, shipping costs, as well as whether or not duties are to be charged on a product.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie O View Post
    Eldor, what do you do for a living??

DSP, of course, is going to mark up the product. It's called profit! (minus their overhead)

Real Name
    Charlie
    06-10-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by offsitenz View Post
    Rob, can you confirm that the SW-M Crash Bars are fully compatible with the '13 bike? They obviously do bolt on, but I've seen a couple of photos forum members have posted and the clearance between the bars and the plastics is minimal. The OEM site lists those bars as being for the 08-12 bike. And as far as I know the '13 bike is wider in that area than the '12.
    Twisted Throttle now lists the SW Motech bars as '08 and up, and '13 700GS. FWIW
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light 

Real Name
    Steve N
    06-17-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I ordered the Motechs through my dealer as part of the initial purchase of my 2013 F800GS. I picked up my bike about a week ago but bars just came in today. Mine aren't installed yet but I'm 100% positive they'll fit the 2013 just fine. Looks like nothing changed as far as the frame/engine mounting locations. If you look around the forum someone has a white 2013 800GS with the Motech bars and MOD skid plate which looks great together. I'll post picks of mine after I get them installed.

Real Name
    Dave
    04-18-16
    Quote Originally Posted by CrustyOldFart View Post
    Looks like nothing changed as far as the frame/engine mounting locations.
    Steve, I agree the mount points haven't changed... I just think that the '13 bike got wider, the Motech bars haven't changed to accommodate that, and as a result there's minimal clearance between bars and plastics (+ importantly, the rad). I'm happy for my totally unsubstantiated fears to be proved wrong. Others have reported the setup works ok, although there was one member who reported the bars actually touched the fairing which is when I started to wonder.

Real Name
    Steve N
    06-17-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Oh crap, if that's the case, bars touching fairing, I'll be taking mine back. I'll try mounting mine in next day or two will report back with some picks showing how it fits and will measure clearance from bars to fairing/radiator...

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve, I agree the mount points haven't changed... I just think that the '13 bike got wider, the Motech bars haven't changed to accommodate that, and as a result there's minimal clearance between bars and plastics (+ importantly, the rad). I'm happy for my totally unsubstantiated fears to be proved wrong. Others have reported the setup works ok, although there was one member who reported the bars actually touched the fairing which is when I started to wonder.

Real Name
    Dave
    04-18-16
    Quote Originally Posted by CrustyOldFart View Post
    Oh crap, if that's the case, bars touching fairing, I'll be taking mine back.
    Steve, I don't want to be alarmist - and I don't actually have the bars myself. Charlie above reported his fit ok... just thought it was worth asking the question as I'm sure the new bike is wider - I did try and ask SW-M directly but got no response.

22. ThanksCrustyOldFart thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Steve N
    06-17-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Yea, I've seen others post with the '13 and Motech bars and no problems were noted, but it is something I'll look for when I get mine on and I'll report back the clearance. I'm riding today and would not be comfortable strapping the shipping box or all the loose parts onto my bike so I won't be able to pick up my bars from dealer until tomorrow when I can just throw them in the back of my truck to bring home.

Real Name
    Charlie
    06-10-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I have the SW Motech bars on my 2013 and they do not touch the plastic but there isn't as much clearance as on the Altrider. I have dropped my bike on each side, though, and the plastic was not touched by the bars or by the ground. I'm not sure what the extra clearance on the bars would do since If I am hit hard enough from the side to bend them, plastics will be the least of my worries.
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light 

25. ThanksCrustyOldFart, moto74 thanked for this post

Real Name
    Dave
    04-18-16
    FWIW, here's the post (from Gronkaphonic) that set my alarms bells ringing, and got me to ask the question of SW-M (and receive no response). But Charlie's last post on the matter has them doing the job.

27. ThanksCrustyOldFart thanked for this post

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    AltRide has really good clearance on the 2013's and they have not changed the mold

Real Name
    Bertrand
    09-23-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    SW Motechs are just fine:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1079471...73271211791714
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/qcridge...in/photostream

They do not touch the fairing. Tight is good !

30. Thanksmoto74 thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Just to give an update on my original post...

After I cancelled my order because I didn't want to deal with DSP, AltRider said that "by exception" they would deal with me directly. So on Friday I placed my order with them, because after all, I had pretty much decided that AltRider bars were what I wanted.

This morning (Wednesday) I was surprised to find that FedEx delivered my new AltRider bars. With great anticipation I opened the box only to find that one of the bars was badly scratched, right down to bare metal. Heck, I haven't even received my bike yet, and already the bars look like I've dropped the bike. I'm greatly disappointed, as I thought that for the price (I think these are the most expensive engine bars available) and with the reputed quality, I'd get perfect bars. And this scratch is going to SHOW when the bars are on the bike. SIGH (The shipping box was in perfect condition and I believe the damage was on the bar before it was wrapped in bubble wrap.)

I know I'm going to drop my new bike... eventually. But I wanted to keep it pristine as long as possible and I hate like hell to install bars which are already damaged. I recall reading a message somewhere (maybe this board) from someone else who had received damaged bars but I thought that must have been an unusual occurrence. Maybe AltRider quality control isn't all that good after all.

And being in Canada, sending the bar back (packing, shipping, brokerage charges, taxes, etc.) across the border is going to be a real pain in the rear. SIGH I've got an email in to AltRider to see what they propose.

I'm regretting not having gone with SW-Motech.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    don't worry Jeremy and the guys and gals down at AltRider will take care of you...Sh*t happens and as for quality control??? Again Sh*t happens....don't fret..they will probably get you to have a return # and use their FedEx account.

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Thanks Leslie. But as I'm sure you know, FedEx will be charging me brokerage charges on the first shipment (we have an account with them so they don't collect on delivery) and even if AltRider absorbs return shipment charges, the replacement will incur brokerage and taxes AGAIN. Pain in the you-know-what.

In any case, I've emailed AltRider and I'm sure they'll reply later today.

Cheers!

Real Name
    John
    01-07-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 CRF230L
    Hey Eldor,

I too received bars that were slightly scratched from Altrider.
    I do really like my bars. They seem to be very robust and look good on the bike. And the install was not painful. If anyone asked me, I would have probably recommended them.
    However I would agree that the service is somewhat suspect. When I emailed about the scratch, the response I got was less than I would have liked to hear.
    Essentially from what I remember, they said I could return them (Expensive from canada to send to them or to return to DSP a city away) or just go buy some touch up paint myself.
    To be honest, I would have expected them to at the very least send me a touch up paint pen or something.

As a result, I decided to not buy their Skid plate or side stand foot and chose the MOD products instead.
    I have to say MOD has been great with superb customer service.
    I will probably think twice before getting any other Altrider products in the future. Mostly due to receiving less than perfect product.

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Hi John,

Gee, I wish I'd known about your experience (and especially about AltRider's response) before I placed my order. SIGH. And I'd agonized over which ones to buy for a long time, finally placed my order only to have it transferred to a Canadian company for a lot more money, cancelled my order, got an offer from AltRider to make an exception and deal with me directly and even then I agonized over the order. Finally placed my order and then got the damaged bars. I don't want to condemn AltRider before knowing how they will respond to this, but gee, I should have ordered SW-Motech instead.

I HAVE ordered the MOD skid plate and luggage rack though.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Slappyhamguy View Post
    Hey Eldor,

I too received bars that were slightly scratched from Altrider.
    I do really like my bars. They seem to be very robust and look good on the bike. And the install was not painful. If anyone asked me, I would have probably recommended them.
    However I would agree that the service is somewhat suspect. When I emailed about the scratch, the response I got was less than I would have liked to hear.
    Essentially from what I remember, they said I could return them (Expensive from canada to send to them or to return to DSP a city away) or just go buy some touch up paint myself.
    To be honest, I would have expected them to at the very least send me a touch up paint pen or something.

As a result, I decided to not buy their Skid plate or side stand foot and chose the MOD products instead.
    I have to say MOD has been great with superb customer service.
    I will probably think twice before getting any other Altrider products in the future. Mostly due to receiving less than perfect product.

Real Name
    John
    01-07-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 CRF230L
    I had posted my experience some time ago.
    It is unfortunate, since the Altrider Bars are a good product and regardless of cosmetics, they do from my understanding do a good job of protecting the bike.

The bad is that they from our experience don't have good QC or service when it comes to correcting issues that arise from that lack of QC.

Good luck!

Real Name
    Mr. Twisted
    05-31-16
    Motorcycle
    '11 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '10 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800GS
    I can confirm that the SW-MOTECH crashbars for the 2008-20012 DO NOT fit the 2013 model. There is an update in the works. I hope to have the updated crashbars by mid-March.

Kevin

38. Thanksmoto74, CrustyOldFart thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Steve N
    06-17-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    What crazy timing is this??? I just picked up my SW-Motech crashbars from the San Diego BMW Motorcycle dealer this afternoon. The bars were ordered by the dealer as part of my 2013 F800GS purchase. I picked up the bike a couple weeks ago but they didn't have the bars yet at that time. I wasnt sure from who/where they ordered until I picked them up from the dealer today in a nicely packed Twisted Throttle box. I opened up to check all the parts and instructions; the bars look great. So....now what? Given this information I supposed I could just hold onto these bars until the new ones for the '13 bikes come out and then exchange directly with Twisted Throttle (T-T), or bring them back to my dealer and have them swap em out? Bummer is I'd have to wait that much longer to mount em up. I was really looking forward to getting these mounted up tonight or this weekend. I sure don't want to drop the bike (ever) without having some kind of engine/radiator/fairing protection. Or, I could mount these up now (with very close clearance from fairing as noted by others on the forum) and then exchange with T-T later when new ones are available? Hopefully that would be okay as long as I haven't dropped bike or bent/scrape up the bars by then? Well, I just left a voicmail at T-T, they're closed now, just past 5 PM Pacific time. To be continued...

Real Name
    Dave
    04-18-16
    That's crap timing for sure Steve. I hope you get it sorted one way or the other... I guess at least it's good to get solid information on it.

41. ThanksCrustyOldFart thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Steve N
    06-17-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Yea I guess it's better find out now. Glad I saw Twisted Throttle's post before running home and putting them on. At least now I'll wait till I hear back from them.
    Cheers for now.

Real Name
    Charlie
    06-10-15
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    My dealer installed the SW Motech bars on my '13 bike when I bought it last September. If I hadn't had them on I'd have cracked my plastics for sure. I'm no expert, but they look like they fit and have worked so far. Next time I'm at my dealer I'll ask about updated bars, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light 

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Just a quick update on what's going on with the damaged AltRider bars...

I emailed them Wednesday morning (hours before they opened because the bars arrived at 9am EST) with two emails (one describing what happened, and the other with photos of the bars and the damage) and I did not hear anything back from them that entire day. Thursday afternoon I still had not heard anything at all, so I phoned them and asked for the fellow who'd okayed my dealing directly with them instead of with their Canadian "distributor". I was asked who was calling, and the lady who answered the phone said she'd emailed me that morning. Well, I had not received any email at all (I'd been checking constantly and no, nothing had been flagged as spam either). I asked what they proposed to rectify the situation.

The lady (Melanie, Melodie???) said that what they would do would be to ship out a replacement bar at their expense and that they would include a return waybill for me to return the damaged bar to them. I asked about brokerage fees and taxes on the replacement part coming in and she assured me that it would all be at their expense.

IF this will actually happen, then I think it's EXCELLENT service on behalf of AltRider. I COULD NOT ASK FOR ANYTHING BETTER.

I do say "IF" because even up to now (48 hours after sending them my emails) other than for my calling them, I have not had any email from them at all - no acknowledgement of my emails or anything in writing from them about what they will do. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps instead of REPLYING to my email, they tried to retype my address and mistyped it and their reply ended up in never-never land.

I will post here with the final outcome, whatever it is.

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I think you need to cut them some slack to be honest and allow them to rectify an unhappy customer in a timely manner. Perhaps this has not been timely enough for you personally but to me it seems being a proactive customer dealing with a company that is very busy is not such a bad thing. Especially in the end which I don't doubt they will keep their word it all works out. FWIW

46. LikesFLrider liked this post
    Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Oh I am cutting them some slack, and as I told them on the phone and repeated in my last post, if they come through as they say they will, it's great. And I couldn't then ask for any better service.

It's just somewhat funny I think, that they haven't sent even an acknowledgement of my email to them. Surely you might agree that no response to the issue is going to make the buyer rather frustrated and upset. I don't ask or expect immediate action but an email saying we've received your email and will look into it would have been perfect. Then I would have happily waited patiently. After all, I haven't even got my bike yet.

Cheers!

(Gee you get up early, don't you? I'm up every day before 5am and in the office by 7. I get more work done in the two hours before we open - without phone calls or anyone interrupting - than at any other time of the day.)

I think you need to cut them some slack to be honest and allow them to rectify an unhappy customer in a timely manner. Perhaps this has not been timely enough for you personally but to me it seems being a proactive customer dealing with a company that is very busy is not such a bad thing. Especially in the end which I don't doubt they will keep their word it all works out. FWIW

02-03-20
    Wish I saw this thread sooner.. I have brand new (never mounted) Alt Rider bars that I have been meaning to sell. I'll probably sell them to someone in Europe who has to pay even more taxes and shipping than us Canadians, but if you need another set I could get them into Canada for free (takes a few weeks though)

I bought them when I was in the States but then bought some SW Motechs in Germany. The Alt Riders seem to flow with the new '13 plastics as if they were designs for them!

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    this is why US suppliers would rather we buy from their Canadian dealers...much easier for AltRider to have us go to someone "local" versus have to ship back and forth across our border.

Real Name
    Rob
    01-11-16
    this is why US suppliers would rather we buy from their Canadian dealers...much easier for AltRider to have us go to someone "local" versus have to ship back and forth across our border.
    Yup!
    drcool rides with me. 

05-26-13
    What are your thoughts on touratech's product line? I'm in the process of fitting out my 2013 and am looking for options. Feedback is appreciated

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Since this thread is about engine protection bars and more specifically the AltRider ones, are you asking about Touratech's engine bars, or about something else they make? I looked at their engine bars installed on a 2013 F800GS at my dealer and didn't like them and felt they didn't offer enough protection higher up. So I went with the Altrider ones. I'm picking up my new bike on March 8th and will spend the following week installing all my goodies. But I'm expecting that the AltRider bars will be excellent.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    What are your thoughts on touratech's product line? I'm in the process of fitting out my 2013 and am looking for options. Feedback is appreciated

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    TT the new crash bars which include upper and lower pieces....will be over $500 if you get both...and the upper clips on to the lower part....the new TT crash bars may look nice but I doubt will be worth $500 + and would be able to handle a crash. IMHO.

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    To close out this thread I just wanted to let you all know that the replacement engine bar arrived today, together with a return shipping waybill. That's pretty good service.

HOWEVER...

The replacement engine bar is damaged in the exact same place as the first one, although not as badly. This, together with the previous report here from another buyer of AltRider bars, leads me to believe that, 1) their quality control is hit-and-miss at best, and 2) that there is something in their manufacturing or handling process which leads to damage in the same spot.

Since they were sending a replacement for a damaged bar, I kinda expected that they'd inspect the replacement before shipping, but I guess that was too much to hope for.

The bars might be good (I hope they are) but I'm unlikely to ever purchase another of their products or to recommend them.

Real Name
    Larry
    08-18-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldor View Post
    The replacement engine bar is damaged in the exact same place as the first one, although not as badly.

Since they were sending a replacement for a damaged bar, I kinda expected that they'd inspect the replacement before shipping, but I guess that was too much to hope for.
    Wow. That is unbelievable. Is there any way the damaged was done in the shipping/handling?

If this will make you feel any better, you may want to remind yourself that you are riding an adventure bike. At some point (unless she's a garage queen) you ARE going to drop her and the engine guards and other parts WILL have scratches. Hit your bars with a little spray touch up paint and move on. Don't let the experience ruin your enthusiasm for the bike. Preaching over....

I know some people will gasp at my confession but I bought a 2012 800GS off the showroom floor, have put miles of mud, dirt and a few drops on her. Haven't washed her since new. She looks the part....

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    post a pic of the damage

Real Name
    Eldor
    04-27-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    No, the bar was well-packed and the outside box was not damaged. I think the damage occurred before shipping and since it's in the same spot as the damage on the first one, I suspect something they're doing wrong at their end. As I said, the damage is less (quite a bit less, but damage just the same, with bare metal exposed) than what it was on the first bar.

I do know that I'll be dropping the bike and that all kinds of chips and other damage will happen. Fact of life. But it's certainly nice to start off with a new bike that is pristine in every way.

As far as showing a photo of the second bar damage, it's too late. I was pissed off and have already touched it up with black acrylic paint that I had here. Doesn't show much at all now. And if I had received this bar initially, I probably would have just sighed and not made a deal of it, but getting a replacement for a damaged one I really expected the replacement to have been checked prior to shipping.

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by FLrider View Post
    Wow. That is unbelievable. Is there any way the damaged was done in the shipping/handling?

If this will make you feel any better, you may want to remind yourself that you are riding an adventure bike. At some point (unless she's a garage queen) you ARE going to drop her and the engine guards and other parts WILL have scratches. Hit your bars with a little spray touch up paint and move on. Don't let the experience ruin your enthusiasm for the bike. Preaching over....

I know some people will gasp at my confession but I bought a 2012 800GS off the showroom floor, have put miles of mud, dirt and a few drops on her. Haven't washed her since new. She looks the part....

Real Name
    Devon
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F650GS (Twin)
    You paid full price for a new product, you didn't get a discount for seconds, so it should have been pristine, regardless of how much damage it might get in the future.
    Bad form by AltRider.

I've got scratches on my SW-Motechs, but they belong to me, I didn't pay for them ...

Real Name
    Paul
    06-01-19
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Eldor, If you go offroading you will fall and scratch the bars anyway, so why get all fussed about it now? They've done you a favour by minimizing the amount of analness you have to apply to this whole enterprise. It's a 550 lb top-heavy dirtbike. There will be carnage. And each scar will carry with it a beautiful memory that you can share with your cats or grandkids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast