BMW F800 Forum banner

Corona virus

581K views 2K replies 32 participants last post by  Flook 
#1 ·
Everybody by now has heard plenty on the world-wide spread of the corona virus. It seems to be everywhere. Washington state had a death attributed to it in recents news. So what is happening in your neck of the woods?
Any local or national news concerning this is welcome. I'm not sure as to what to make of it myself. Maybe by combining any information here as some kind of information port. A greater understand of what is going on can be ascertained.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/worse-than-flu-busting-coronavirus-myths

#862 ·
I doubt it, they say you cant fix stupid, well it turns out you cant quarantine it either,,!!
World Sports jersey Applause Fan Player

Six campaign staffers working on Tulsa rally test positive for coronavirus

The Trump campaign confirmed six staffers working on the Tulsa rally tested positive for coronavirus.

"Per safety protocols, campaign staff are tested for COVID-19 before events. Six members of the advance team tested positive out of hundreds of tests performed, and quarantine procedures were immediately implemented. No COVID-positive staffers or anyone in immediate contact will be at today's rally or near attendees and elected officials. As previously announced, all rally attendees are given temperature checks before going through security, at which point they are given wristbands, facemasks and hand sanitizer," Tim Murtaugh, the Trump campaign communications director, said in a statement.

#864 ·
That's the scary thing. They all had to sign wavers that no suits would be brought against the campaign if they fell ill at the event.
Just how stupid or Great do you have to be to pledge that sort of allegiance?
Shade of Nazi Germany? Not to suggest a Nazi comparison rather the pledging to the leader, not the Constitution.
Trump demands blind allegiance.

#867 ·
Europe is mulling a ban on American travelers. Have we 'transitioned to greatness' yet?

The New York Times reports:

European Union countries rushing to revive their economies and reopen their borders after months of coronavirus restrictions are prepared to block Americans from entering because the United States has failed to control the scourge, according to draft lists of acceptable travelers reviewed by The New York Times.
That prospect, which would lump American visitors in with Russians and Brazilians as unwelcome, is a stinging blow to American prestige in the world and a repudiation of President Trump's handling of the virus in the United States, which has more than 2.3 million cases and upward of 120,000 deaths, more than any other country.
European nations are currently haggling over two potential lists of acceptable visitors based on how countries are faring with the coronavirus pandemic. Both lists include China, as well as developing nations like Uganda, Cuba and Vietnam. Both also exclude the United States and other countries which were deemed too risky because of the spread of the virus.
If this goes through, it would mark a continuation of a prohibition that had been in place on travelers from the United States and elsewhere since mid-March. Only now it would be extended through the E.U.'s official reopening in July.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...travelers-have-we-transitioned-greatness-yet/

But I want to focus on this remarkable explanation of why this may happen:

Trump, as well as his Russian and Brazilian counterparts, Vladimir V. Putin and Jair Bolsonaro, has followed what critics call a comparable path in their pandemic response that leaves all three countries in a similarly bad spot: they were dismissive at the outset of the crisis, slow to respond to scientific advice and saw a boom of domestic cases as other parts of the world, notably in Europe and Asia, were slowly managing to get their outbreaks under control.
Countries on the E.U. draft lists have been selected as safe based on a combination of epidemiological criteria. The benchmark is the E.U. average number of new infections - over the past 14 days - per 100,000 people, which is currently 16 for the bloc. The comparable number for the United States is 107, while Brazil's is 190 and Russia's is 80, according to a Times database.

#868 ·
The CDC is predicting up to 150,000 deaths in the U.S. by July 1st. The Governor of Texas who once said masks weren't needed, is now saying masks are needed as hospitals are reaching capacity.

#870 ·
150,000 and then what, there is no plan with the exception of those 3 Eastern States, nothing at the federal level. At a 1000 deaths a day its not hard to see that there could be as many as 500,000 Deaths before a vaccine is in place, I can's believe people still haven't decided that wearing a face mask is warranted under the circumstances,,. Just bazar,,!!

#869 ·
NY, NJ and CT require travelers from states with high coronavirus rates to quarantine for two weeks

(CNN)New York, New Jersey and Connecticut issued a travel advisory Wednesday that requires people arriving from states with high coronavirus rates to quarantine for 14 days.

The travel advisory applies to anyone coming from a state with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents over a 7-day rolling average or a state with a 10% or higher positivity rate over a seven-day rolling average, according to a joint announcement from the governors of the three states.
"We have to make sure the virus doesn't come in on a plane," said New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
"We worked very hard to get the viral transmission rate down, and we don't want to see it go up," he added.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/new-york-coronavirus-travel-restriction/index.html

#872 ·
I have been hearing about that declaration on the news recently, but how are they going to enforce it? By checking license plates at their borders? Very few states have border check points, those are located on major highways and are there mainly to check on agriculture imports. Plus, there are likely a great many smaller highways and rural roads that cross state borders at various locations and once you cross into the state, how can anyone tell where you came from, by your accent? That probably wouldn't be very helpful in New York City. :rolleyes:

And then what about interstate truckers? Is the state going to quarantine them for two weeks before they can deliver their loads to market? These sort of travel restrictions are easy to demand, but almost impossible to enforce within the continental United States. I think the governors of these states are going to need a different plan.

#873 · (Edited)
Richard, I think its all abought the messaging, most are law abiding, rule following citizens who have the best wishes of the nation in mind, this will have the largest impact,,. The other 10% that decide,,,, they wont follow the directions and will find away around it no matter the safeguards,,. Commercial traffic needs to flow, its essential,,.

The US/CAN boarder is locked down (other then commercial traffic) and yet we get a lot of US State plates showing up in Provincial campgrounds and in downtown Vancouver, the Parks Board staff and local police are not really geared at this point to deal with these sort of problems,,. The foreign visitors claim at the boarder that they are in transit to Alaska and then they end up in Alberta Parks, not anywhere near the correct transit routes,,. Frankly I would fine there asses off and extradite them were it up to me, people are dying and this Pandemic was spread by travelers,. In Singapore early in the Pandemic, British business men that owned and managed businesses in the Country showed up at places of business the first morning of there lockdown, Singapore authorities rounded them up, extradited them and revoked there work visas, End of Story,,!!

#874 ·
Things are going crazy all over. Did you see that beach in England on the BBC TV news last night? That place was really packed, even tighter than what I have seen in Southern California. And of course no one was wearing a mask. Then this morning it was announced on the news that Santa Cruz, CA (the self-proclaimed surfing capital of the world) has given up trying to control access to their beaches as no one was paying attention to the signs prohibiting access to their beaches. Now all of the county's beaches will be open this weekend and especially for the Fourth of July holiday weekend. That is really going to spike the number of virus cases in the San Francisco Bay Area and likely the entire state. It is getting crazy out there guys. Take care and stay away from crowded beaches.

Reactions: OX-34
#875 ·
Spokane protesters rally against face mask mandate during Gov. Inslee's visit

A group of protesters gathered at WSU Spokane to protest Governor Inslee's mandate requiring face masks in Washington.
"Governor Inslee has overstepped his authority," the event's description reads. "Let's make some noise and let him know that we do not support his tyranny (masks or otherwise!)"

Demonstrators met at the Spokane Regional Health District building on Thursday morning before marching to City Hall. At about noon, they went to the Washington State University-Spokane campus, where Inslee is met with workers, local elected officials and health leaders throughout the afternoon.

KREM's Taylor Viydo reported that protesters could be heard yelling outside of the building as Inslee met with frontline and essential workers. They were holding signs that read, "Inslee must go," "No mask, my choice," and "Freedom is the cure."

https://www.krem.com/article/news/h...irus/293-6a66dad0-ee8b-4692-8e33-01fa533efa6b

#877 ·
Wow, who was it that said the C19 numbers in Florida were to do with the increase in testing, 9000 new cases in 1 day, this whole thing is going off the rails as we speak!!

Friday saw the highest single-day total for coronavirus cases in the U.S., with more than 43,000 new infections. Those numbers are worse than the pandemic's previous daily peaks. And that's leading to fears that hospitals in Texas and Florida could soon resemble New York's during the worst days of its outbreak, you don't go to the Hospital from testing, you go because your sick,,.

#878 ·
Crikey Lag, it sounds like the end of days are nigh!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I read this somewhere on the forum*, won't say where or I may get banned for quoting or something:

"Once the medical infrastructure gets hit...and the doctors themselves are sick and die...you'll end up with disease from rotting corpses. Things could snowball.

So it's just something I've been musing through in my mind. Once Israel became a nation, that was the big prophecy that had to occur before the rest of the end times events took place. That's out of the way, and so are we entering the "end times"?

Some will take this as "doom and gloom". To me, it isn't. It is hope. I know there's a plan. I know where I'm going when I die. And
so I find this interesting, and exciting.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

All that coming death and destruction, yippee!!** Not sure if the rotting corpses are interesting, or exciting or just plain ole hope in a box. Or do the rotting corpses themselves snowball? I hadn't thought of that. Lucky so many people are GeDDing it in Florida, not too much snow down there.

* Yes, this really is a quote from this forum, perhaps from the MAGA camp. Bing bing bing. You can read it here, for transparency (https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/315139-End-Times-Prophecies)
** Unlike D Trump, I do have the capacity for sarcasm. A drink of disinfectant, anyone?

#879 ·
There was a comment on the news the other day that most people do not know anyone who has been sick and therefore are not taking the virus protection rules seriously. Many people seem to believe that the government is just trying to control their lives and are rebelling. That could very well be the explanation for the stampede to the beaches and block parties and then the increase in infections. No one that I know has been sick or seems to be very concerned about catching the virus, but then I don't know very many people, live by myself and try to keep my head low just to play it safe. I haven't been to the beach or any parties since last year.

Reactions: oxytotl
#882 ·
...Many people seem to believe that the government is just trying to control their lives and are rebelling...
Seen from here, I understand the situation and agree with you, what I can't understand is worrying about government control!? In any case, our governments are controlling us: you can't drive at more than 65 mph (130 km/h here)government can control our sms and e-mails, taxes, economy, jobs and so on, and people seem more concerned about the freedom not to wear face masks?! They don't know that their freedom ends where another one freedom begins?
Do come here in Italy, one month age you could have been lynched by the mob for not wearing a mask!

#881 ·
You talk about your sh-t hole countries where lots of things are not right, they simple don't have the resources to deal with things the way the more fortunate places ln the world can,,. America has failed every step of the way, initial response, testing, resource procurement, completely blew the opening up, complete lack of a cohesive federal plan, and the messaging has been abysmal at the federal level and continues to be the biggest problem,,. This is going to be very expensive in human lives and economic fall out, when it didn't need to be,!!

#884 ·
I must admit that both Boris and Trump have been unlucky, but the response to the pandemic has been awful for both (for USA, I can't believe the lack of a cohesive federal plan, -thx Lyle- for instance). Also Boris seems to have thought it was only a flu ... until he got it, only then he changed his mind. When he started talking about herd immunity, I e-mailed a friend of mine, who works as a doctor, and asked her if he was went crazy or what else! A phone call here in Italy would have been enough to decide what to do.
If we had known, we would have been glad to go on lock down a month before: many lives could have been saved, and probably our economy wouldn't have been affected this way [B)]

#885 ·
"I must admit that both Boris and Trump have been unlucky, but the response to the pandemic has been awful for both (for USA, I can't believe the lack of a cohesive federal plan, -thx Lyle- for instance). Also Boris seems to have thought it was only a flu ... until he got it, only then he changed his mind."

Thats why you don't vote for Ding Dongs like Boris and Trump, and even if they end up in power by some quirk you don't listen to them, you listen to the Medical/Scientific community for medical advise and Pandemic control procedure's,,. Trump cant even speak English never mind read a medical report and people are stupid enough to listen to him, an Impeached totally Narcissistic Con Artist,,!!

#886 ·
Our knee jerk reaction to the pandemic is just what Trump does. No plans. Just strike out at whatever he thinks his adoring fans will be receptive too.
There are those in Gov't whose job it is to ready for the expected and unexpected situations. But in this case Trump has to be the one who seems to be in charge and he simply isn't up to the task. So he pushes the knowledgeable out of the way to mug in front of the camera and shoot his mouth off and prove how dumb he really is.
He goes on about shutting down the flights from China when the virus was already here and coming from Europe and spreading.
Then blame someone else when things don't look good. In most cases the previous administration.

#888 ·
We had Berlusconi as prime minister, so let me tell what happened here: to put it simple, lots of people saw in him a successful self made man, and didn't see, or refuse to see, how he managed to become so rich, his supposed bonds with mafia, and more. He spoke, as we say, to the belly of the people, telling them what they wanted to hear. Voters thought: he knows how to run a firm, so he knows how to run our country, and he'll do all of his best. Well, he did all of his best, but it was the best for him [lol]. He had his private tv channels, and also the state ones, using all of them to feed the audience with "sugar coated mindless garbage" (cit. Dead Kennedys), helping people not to think. Add a growingly poor educational system, and you'll have a perfect recipe for a disaster in the future. Seems to happen the same everywhere in the 1st world.
Moving on Boris, what I understood is that voters were asked (not by him) if they wanted immigrants and refugees from Africa or they prefere to leave EU. We know what happened. Now, we'll see if this was a wise decision, personally I don't think so,
Anyway, when people vote a candidate in the same acritical manner as they support a football team, we'll see more cases like these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.