BMW F800 Forum banner

screws may be stripped during windscreen change

728 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ccramerusc 
#1 ·
Hi All,
There are 3 screws that hold the windscreen on to the metal plate. I was changing out from the original (my summer screen) to the Madstad (fall, winter). When I put the Madstad on I was unable to fully tighten the two outside screws as if they were stripped or not grabbing the thread. The middle one is fine, but both outers look like they are halfway in. I am unable now to screw them out, either (just keeps turning). I tried to see if I could get underneath to check what the screw screws into but it's very tight in there. Only detail to add is that I used a drop of the medium (blue) locktite on each before inserting.
I don't think I stripped the screws as they seemed to go in fine. Anyone experienced this? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Best,
Corey
2007 F800ST

#2 · (Edited)
You have to angle them outward (at the top) just right for the threads to catch. That happens to me because I added spacers under the top two which messes up the normal angle. I also replaced the boots with longer ones because they have to be in so far before they grab the thread. It takes me many tries wiggling them around at different angles to get them to grab.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I don't have a madstad screen. I just mean the two screws that go into the upper fairing (of the 3 that would normally hold the stock screen) need to go in on an angle, plus the threads are pretty deep before they start.

#6 ·
Yes, heads outward with threads angled inward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.