BMW F800 Forum banner

Tags
f800gt newbie
2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  rickymartin 
#1 ·
Hi All from the UK.

Just pulled the trigger on a 2016 F800GT SE. 4 years old but only 5000 miles. Well specced. I'm going from an R1200RT to the GT, like other posters I have read, I'm looking for something lighter and more nimble.

I haven't actually ridden a GT, just researched like mad and the general opinion is that it is a great all rounder. The good thing with buying from a BMW dealer is that I have 14 days after delivery to take it back for a full refund if I don't like it.

I have owned a number of BM's over the years, R80/7, R80RT, R100RS, K100RS. I was a police biker for a few years, riding mostly K1100 and 1200.

I returned to the fold after about 20 years away with the R1200RT. Great bike, but being older and fatter than I was when I rode for work, it just felt a bit unwieldy, hence the F.

Due to UK Covid restrictions, I can't travel to pick it up, as it isn't considered essential and delivery time is two weeks. Given the current cold icy weather, I'm not too bothered, but will look forward to the delivery date.

I'll update my thoughts when I get it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome, Riggie. I am sure you will enjoy your GT when it arrives and your weather warms up a bit. In the meantime, I hope you will also enjoy catching up on the F800 models and their owners on this forum. If you add your location in the UK to your profile it might help with member responses to any questions regarding your bike, dealers or riding locations in the future.

#9 ·
Welcome Riggie,
I'm a newbie here as well.
I ride a 2008 F800ST. My last bike was a KLR650. It was fun but I decided to go street bike because I like the curves.
The f800ST is smooth and I think pretty agile. It rides comfortably and has plenty of power for normal street riding and touring.
Here in the Atlanta, Georgia area we have days in the winter that are in the 50"s and 60's F so there are windows of good weather to ride. The heated grips are convenient.
I'm planning to buy a GT soon and let my wife take my ST. I'll be interested to hear your review of the GT.
Cheers

#11 ·
I picked the bike up a week ago and have only done around 200 miles. The first 100 miles were at a steady 75-80 mph and the wind blast from the stock screen was more than I cared for. Higher speeds gave neck muscles a really good workout.

I have been impressed by the sheer manageability compared to the R1200. It certainly does not feel like 213kg. It is very well balanced and without really trying I touched down my left boot in a bend, something I don't think ever happened on the R. The GT just gives that confidence.

I have fitted a Madstad screen and that has solved the wind/buffeting problem. Riding position is comfortable for me (5'9") but I'm going to fit 20mm risers just to make it perfect.

Performance is good, particularly if you let it get higher in the rev range where it seems to take off. I think peak torque is high up in the revs which would explain this.

Do I regret the swap from the R1200? The one thing I knew I'd miss was the electric screen and the weather/wind protection. The Madstad has addressed that. I don't miss the weight and the sometimes ponderous handling and the outright performance is similar.

So far, the GT is perfect for me and I won't be going back to the RT. It's horses for courses, but I think it's a great all rounder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.