BMW F800 Forum banner

What is the weather doing where you are?

6M views 4K replies 276 participants last post by  Josep Maria 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, spring has arrived around the world, or fall in some cases, and I'm curious what is happening in this little community.
Here in Ohio, we are having colder than normal temperatures, in the mid to high 30s (F) with snow every couple of days that never stays around. I'm going crazy waiting for a dry day. I would say I'm 2 weeks to a month out from everyday use.
I'm curious about the changes others are experiencing, and especially south of the Equator (like NZ and South America and South Africa)-are your every day riding days beginning to fade away.
I think the Brits weather is alway mild enough to ride, despite their rain?
Anyway, how about weather reports from around the world.
Thanks..

#3 · (Edited)
In Denmark the riding season started in the beginning of March. Unless you have all year insurance (most riders don't) you are allowed to ride from March 1st. We have had af couple of decent weeks with (early) signs of spring. I mananged to get around 500 kms on the clock. However, winter has re-emerged and we are getting snow again these days. Actually we are warned about a snow storm tomorrow. Night temperatures are dropping way down to minus 8 to minus 10 C - that's the forecast for the next 4-5 days. So roads are cold and slippery - AND salty, and the ST is parked for several days to come.
Looking forward to warmer temperatures again!

#5 ·
Here in Sydney OZ, we've had a faboulous 2 weeks of dry weather hence some great riding, and it's just starting to rain this morning and will have some more of it here and there over the easter weekend, (we have 4 days off) but looking at a dry week as it unfolds. Still expecting a range of 18-28c.

fortunately these rider friendly conditions extended out further a field, hence I've managed to rack up 3800Klms of touring in the past 2 weeks.

#11 ·
I missed a day last week but otherwise spring has arrived in full force and the riding has been great! Sure, I miss home (Toledo Ohio) but if I were there, I wouldn't be riding much :p

Did all the snow melt from the big-ass blizzard that hit Ohio a week or so ago?

#17 ·
Did all the snow melt from the big-ass blizzard that hit Ohio a week or so ago?
There's still piles of it laying around-tonight they are expecting 4-6 more inches. I hate you right now :)

#13 ·
At this instant, it's blowing a gale and pelting down with snow, sleet and hail. But there's blue sky behind it, and the sun will be out again soon.

Recently cleaned bikes will not be going out on wet muddy roads today, amongst all the Easter Holiday tourists. Most of whom are elderly (even older than me) and have a top speed of around 35mph [:(!]

#14 ·
Here in Florida, its cool -- 52 degrees and we've had some heavy rains, but the day is supposed to clear up and the high temperature is supposed to be around 75.

Spring starts in early March around here. The days between March 1 and June 1 are usually some of the best riding days.

#15 ·
We've had our first day this summer without rain today and it was around 29C.
And I was too busy to get out on the bike:(.
It's been the mildest, wettest summer up here for many years with only a couple of days over 35C(and they were at the end of spring)
Down in Sth Aust, Adelaide set a new record for the most consecutive days over 35C, with some of them around the 40+.
Victoria is as dry as Stormin's jokes:)) couldn't let the chance slip by). So yeah, we're getting some strange weather too.

#18 ·
YAH-HOO!
Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs 55 to 60. Cascade Locks westward...east wind 10 to 20 mph. Near Hood River... light wind. I'm going riding this afternoon....

#20 ·
YAH-HOO!
Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs 55 to 60. Cascade Locks westward...east wind 10 to 20 mph. Near Hood River... light wind. I'm going riding this afternoon....
Congrats, congrats, me too, after using the F800 to go to work M, T, and F. At 12:35 Mountain Standard Time (long story, but AZ opted out of DST in '68) we are 82 (26), heading to 86 (29-30) today, maybe up to 90 by Monday, and back to mid to low 80's the rest of the week. Come May, June, and beyond, all our riding will be to the north ("high" country), and now I can ride around the south (desert oasis after oasis). I may not see rain again until August.

#21 ·
Here in Patagonia, a lovely beginig of fall, with 23C, a little wind, and still riding the ST as usual, in fact on monday we have a holiday, so we are planing with the folks to go to Bariloche, 250km away, to have "asado" (like a BBQ, 10 times better).

#25 ·
Went for a ride in the "Sunshine" Coast Hinterland yesterday and you'll never guess what happened and which way I was heading.

Attachments

#28 ·
rain :( rode home in it last night, and spent today cleaning the Bumblebee to sparkling new. Even broke out Q-tips, and undid the fairings to get at every nook and cranny. Still raining, so no real riding today. I *could*, but I wouldn't be able to ride fast.

I've got this thing, where I need to have my body flying at over 100mph once per day. No go today, unless I take out my Skyline.

#29 ·
Since no one from New Zealand has posted, I thought I'd field it, since I've been over there for the last month. The weather's been great North & South Island, cloudless sky, bright sunshine. 1 day of rain the whole month, even when travelling along the 'Wet' coast of the South Island. I'm starting to wonder whether the people saying how rainy it was were lying. I think it's a myth perpetuated by the government and the people of NZ to stop the entire population of the UK emigrating tomorrow! 8-10 metres of rainfall a year at Milford Sound?? Don't believe you, it was hot and sunny all day when I was there! I yearned for a bike while I was out there, the roads were all good quality surfaces and have lovely bends and the volume of traffic is less than a third what it is over here, so overtaking (even in as campervan) is a breeze. What a place. One thing though... what's with the speed limits?? 100kph on the open road - I quickly got bored with that in a campervan so god only knows how it would feel on a bike! and 50kph in a 'residential' area. YAWN. You can't put a house on each side of the road and cliam that's a town now can you?! Oh, turns out you can! I'm thinking of checking to see if theres any jobs with MAF or the conservation board out there. Beautiful place. A while back some people put a bit of advice about where to see etc and someone put an itinery of their tour of NZ up. A big thanks for all the advice (which was meant for someone else but I nicked as well!) the holiday was amazing. Tongariro crossing was incredible (though at 18.5 k and 2 k up and down not a great idea for someone with a knackered cruciate!) Walking up the Franz Josef glacier likewise! Met up with my brother while I was out there too. Jet lag and depression have now firmly taken hold. I want to go back and not to work!! 3 days ago I was lying on a beach at Matapouri in bright sunshine - here its fecking snowing!

#31 ·
Walking up the Franz Josef. Here its snowing!
I know the feeling. Thoroughly enjoyed a month in NZ.:D:D
I did enquire about what would happen if I burned our passports. No good - we'd have been shipped back home.[:(!][:(!]
Here's a shot I took at the Franz Josef Glacier just before we flew off, just to remind you.[}:)][}:)]

Attachments

#30 ·
Been out cycling today - our village pub regulars' annual Easter Bonnet ride. Started off in about 3 degrees C with snow and sleet, so dressed up in waterproofs and thermal long-johns, etc.
Sodt's law, by the time we were half way round, the sun was shining and it was getting warmer by the second. Aaaaah, England.

The cycle ride finishes with a few ciders, and now of course it's perfect Motorcycle weather and I daren't ride.

Bugger.

#33 ·
Just done 2 hrs in 1-2.5 C Mini Blizzard on the M1 then nice but F****g freezing on the M6 ,Then last but not least hail for the last 5 miles. Bike is fine ,Rider less so cause I have just washed my Bike and it's still hailing. Fun though in a slightly masochistic way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.