BMW F800 Forum banner

New 40th 750 GS

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
Not new to the forum but I was smited horribly when I attended a open house at Irv Seavers open house last week. They had a couple 750 40th Anniversary Versions on the show room floor
I went home and looked up the 40th anniversary version. I liked what I saw so I went to the Alhambra Century BMW dealer for a test ride.
I liked the feel of the F750. They also had 40th Ann version in a crate so I asked about trying on for size. So a couple days later, Saturday, I show up in the afternoon to see if it was too tall and how the center stand worked for me. I hate the center stand on my G650GS. POS!
Anyway there was a tag on the seat when I got there that said, Don't sit on this bike it belongs to Notacop. Well, shit howdy, the seat is comfortable and my feet actually touch the ground comfortably. I can lift the bike up on the center stand OK. So I wrote a check and took it home.
Rode with a couple friends up Hwy 2 to Wrightwood for lunch yesterday. Getting my break in miles.
The windshield isn't. The useless fly screen offers no protection at all. I put an AirHawk pad on the seat too for my skinny old butt.
I took the large CalSi screen off the G650GS and will adapt it onto the new GS.
So I'm back to being a F'er again. I don't have to be a hanger on anymore.
I kinda really felt comfortable about buying the new Bumble Bee GS cus I had one of the original Bumble Bees from 1989. They do kinda scream, "Look At Me".
Now I have Cruise Control. Incredible.
I'm waiting for a friend to drive me over to the dealer so I can pick up my car I left there. Then I can come home and work on the windshield mounting.

I'll be looking for a set of BMW saddle bags so I need to find out what years bags will fit. Gotta find a new top box too. It's always something, eh?

See less See more
#3 ·
Took a little while Sunday and drilled some new holes and got the larger CalSci with a Laminar lip on it mounted to the new GS.
One of the original mount holes lined up so drilling the rest was simple. Need to go for a ride today to experience what the difference is.
It was just to dang hot to get dressed for a short test ride yesterday. I'll make a run up San Gabriel Canyon, Hwy39, and come back out on Glendora Mtn Road to get some more break in miles. Convenient twisties just 10 miles from home.

#6 ·
Well the CalSci with the Laminar Lip was a complete turd. Anything over 60 mph and there is so much air burbling over the helmet is like getting beat with a bat.
I think I know the problem, the distance between the windscreen and the handle bars is greater on the F800GS so the air flow that was behind me on the ST and F650GS is right on top me on the F750.
I got a line for PUIG windscreens that may be answer. The 3178W clear. It has supports to reinforce the higher shape and the secondary adjustable part of the screen.
The person that got the screen in Dark, is said to be happy with the protection. She wanted the higher screen for touring.
I only went 10 miles on the freeway and would not have wanted to go any further. I was glad to get home and out of the turbulent air that I experienced.

#8 ·
Heck, I did my research, empirically, I put the tall screen on that I had and gave it a go and it sucked. I installed the little fly screen back on and went for a test ride but the traffic in Pasadena was so freakin' bad I got off the crowded freeway as soon as I got to the next off ramp. I'll see how it does today.

#9 ·
I wonder if there is a large adjustable deflector that could be added to the fly screen,,. Would need to have pretty succumb hardware to keep from moving around,,.
I find the deflector on my GSA style screen effective if its just about vertical, but you would need something larger like the top of the Puig?

#10 ·
If you want to give a clip-on deflector a try, there are lots of cheap Chinese-made wind deflectors on Amazon. I have bought a couple and have been generally satisfied with the results and quality of the products, considering the prices that I paid, compared with the ones made by a certain German (or Austrian) accessory company.

#11 ·
Yeah, Richard I was wondering about that. When I mounted the Laminar lip I duct taped it on and rode around making adjustments until I got it where I felt it was good. Then I drilled the holes.
I wonder if trying to change the angle of the screen I have would make a difference?
I have a spare MRA Vario screen for my salvage Wee project. I could try mounting that on the new GS. It's only holes in plastic.

#12 ·
Perhaps you could temporarily install it with silicon glue, or something similar, that can be peeled off without damaging the windshield if it doesn't work out.

#13 ·
Richard, like the CalSci windshield I tried earlier One hole lined up so I had a decent start. Those neat tapered drill bits from Harbor Freight work nicely.
Only down side is that we are experiencing the first wet weather in ages so i don't feel like getting dressed for the weather and going for a test ride.
Going by the illustrations on a website it appears to sit very closely how the MRA made for the F750GS does. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will work. The made for the bike version is $211.00.
I think I paid half of that when I got the used one from the V Strom site.
If this doesn't work, The big gomby Puig is alleged to be good.

#14 ·
Well I did a freeway run up to 84 mph and there is a bit of noise buffeting but not the wind beating my head. So I think I have the windscreen problem solved.
So I just saved $111. . Now I just need saddlebags. Ta Dah!
I should go prowling around the bits and bobs bins at Home depot and see if I can find some goodies to plug the holes that are extra now. It's always something.

#16 ·
I ended up buying the MRA Vario designed for the bike in clear. I should have gone for the smoke or dark screen. The shape of the screen causes some distortion when looked through. I'm looking over it most of the time and it is an improvement over the MRA designed for the DL650.
I'm in the process of mounting the yellow tank bars from Wunderlich. Got them done. Looks great, the bars are well made and finished. Had famiy visit today so I didn't get the lowers mounted. Maybe tomorrow? I'm waiting on a Sargent seat too. Some sort of supply delay. I found the factory seat unpleasant after a couple hours on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.