BMW F800 Forum banner

No display this morning

15K views 61 replies 17 participants last post by  Adelwise 
#1 ·
I searched the forums and read what I could find, seems like it might come down to a stator issue maybe?

When I got the bike it has an issue where when you turn the key, the mileage and time(wrong time) would come up, then after 2 or 3 seconds everything else would swing like normal, arrows sweep, all lights flash all that. So that’s weird, haven’t taken it in to look at that yet. Doesn’t do it every time, but most of the time.
Just been letting that ride till I can afford the dealer rape.

However this morning, I rolled the bike out, turned the key, no display at all. Weird. Turned it off turned it on no display tried that, nothing. I did hear everything get power so I started it, started. Let it warm, turned it off, then on, no display. Started it. It started, turned around, turned back, display was on, weird.
Rode it to work, no issues. We will see what happens when I go home tonight.

Any ideas of what to check into?

Battery is 3 months old, bought it when I got the bike.

Where does the instrument cluster plug into? I’ve beeb wanting to unhook that and clean the connection.
Maybe it’s a bad ground somewhere? Who knows. Would hate to deal with a stator problem already.
It is always hot as hell down here.

See less See more
#4 ·
Same thing this morning. Temps are feeling a little more autumn like, I’m thinking that’s somehow related. Display didn’t come on, bike started. Killed the power and tried again to see if that did anything, nothing. Restarted, then eventually the computer came on, just like it had just had the key turned, tho the bike is riding down the street....shrug. Guess I have to start unplugging and reconnecting plugs everywhere.

#7 ·
Haven’t had this happen again. Hasn’t been as cool as it was those two mornings. So we will see what happens when it cools down a little more.

I did take it to the dealer to hook it to the computer to get rid of service date thing, and check for faults, no faults no issues.
Explained the issue with the computer on power up, as well as this issue that happened twice. He said he has seen similar things on a few bikes, and those they had to replace the instrument cluster. Great.

Guess I need to search for an exposed wire and hope to find something to fix.

#9 ·
I doubt it's your problem, but it would be worth checking the voltage with key of, key on, idling, and revving. If your stator is not charging properly, then your fairly fresh battery might allow the engine to run, but could cause some of your symptoms.

If not, I'm with the others in that it sounds like a short somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Superduper
#10 ·
Latest update.

This has happened several times now, and the only thing that I can say is the same in all of these situations is, the air temp is below 80? I don’t know exactly, but when the air is cooler, cold starting it, instrument cluster doesn’t come on right away.
Last two days it was rain storms bringing the temp down, display didn’t come on in the morning, and didn’t come on in the evening with a cool rain going. Middle of the day when the rain broke and sun came out, display came on, tho stuttered like it almost always does, it came on with a turn of the key.
I can’t say that the engine heat triggers it to come on as I haven’t noticed anything that would make me think that yet.

Gonna try and disconnect the plugs from the ecu and the cluster and all that, clean and reconnect this weekend.

#11 ·
...This has happened several times now, and the only thing that I can say is the same in all of these situations is, the air temp is below 80? I don't know exactly, but when the air is cooler, cold starting it, instrument cluster doesn't come on right away...
I doubt that's a cause. For 11 months of the year, the temperature in Puget Sound is below 80F.

The connectors are probably a better place to look for a problem.

Chris

#12 ·
So no one else has had this happen to them?
Turn the key, takes a few seconds for the instruments to light up? Clock is wrong..weather gets colder, instruments don’t turn on at all for a few minutes?
I’m really starting to wonder if this is a firmware issue. How the heck to I get two bikes that both have the same issue,’one an 09 this one an 07. Both doing the exact same thing.
And no one else has had this?
When I took it to the dealer, the 09, they said the computer read no faults or anything.

Wtf, and trying to call bmw just gets me referred to the service department, and they don’t seem to know anything.

#13 ·
I found a place that works on clusters, said he did an 800 last year that the display just wouldn’t come on, said he charge like 225 to fix. Bad power supply or something.
So I guess my only question now is, will the bike work with the display missing?

#16 ·
Found this thing here.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/f800gs-instrument-cluster.1060506/

Same exact issues I'm having, if only I took more electronics class in high school I might try to do it myself. Just took the cluster to an instrument cluster guy across town. Said he did an F800 last year that wouldn't come on. We will see how much it ends up costing. Tried to show him this information to narrow his issue finding, and hopefully save on cost. Especially since a guy in the link said he tested the components and didn't get any issues, but changed the capacitor anyway and fixed his issue.

We will see.

#18 ·
Thanks Jason, one of those bits of information that could very well come in handy one day. A couple of years ago I replaced capacitors in my TV. It had started to take an age to turn on then failed to turn on at all. Quick internet search revealed many TVs with capacitors failing. I've got limited electronics knowledge but on opening the TV up at least two capacitors had clearly failed. I took notes of all the capacitors and replaced them for a few pounds cost wasn't that difficult and TV as been as new since, but I would never have put a failed dash down to a blown capacitor. Learn something new every day.

#17 ·
That was quick, got a call this afternoon saying he replaced a few parts on the board and that he thinks everything is back up to normal as far as he is able to tell.I guess I’ll find out tomorrow when I pick it up and plug it back into the bike. Hopefully everything is good on that end.

Looks like I have the usual oil leak I’ll need to fix. Sheesh.

#19 ·
I was just going to post about my issue from just now, but I'll add it here:

Went out this evening to replace the fuel pump controller with the New one I got, and when I started the bike, the cluster was completely dead. No lights, no instruments. The headlight and turn signals all work and the bike starts.

Also interestingly I connect connect to the bike with the Hex tool. The only thing that's different since the last time I touched the bike on Saturday is that its a lot colder.

I've had this bike for several winters and have never had this issue before.

#20 ·
Could be the capacitor is fried.
This guy said he changed a few things in mine that looked “burnt out” he said. I wonder if this is related to the electronic gremlins that some of these bikes have.
I know my first bike in 07 would always fry headlight and tail light bulbs, maybe more tail lights since I was buying these 50 dollar blue headlights that don’t last for crap.
But my lamp warning would go on and always the brake light id have to say, tail light worked but brake light wouldn’t, pull the bulb out and the connector things would be burnt.
Hoping this doesn’t effect the cluster, and if it does, hope mine doesn’t get fried again.

Picked my cluster up this morning, $175 bucks. Gonna connect it with my fingers crossed. He showed me that it keeps time and all that now but I always worry, my downfall, need to be more positive.

#21 ·
Seems to work, holds time. Looks like the mileage is stored in the cluster, I thought the computer would hold that number, but I know I traveled more than 60 miles the last two days.

Interesting enough, I don’t know when it happened since I haven’t had a cluster the last couple days to tell me, but my tail light fried, well brake light, lol.
I wonder why it gets hot on the left side connector to the tail light bulb.
Anyone have an answer to this 10 years later?

I was wondering if getting an LED bulb for the back would be any better in any kind of way?

#22 ·
Seems to work, holds time. Looks like the mileage is stored in the cluster, I thought the computer would hold that number, but I know I traveled more than 60 miles the last two days.

Interesting enough, I don't know when it happened since I haven't had a cluster the last couple days to tell me, but my tail light fried, well brake light, lol.
I wonder why it gets hot on the left side connector to the tail light bulb.
Anyone have an answer to this 10 years later?

I was wondering if getting an LED bulb for the back would be any better in any kind of way?
I had a tail light go out, but I think it was just age. Although it could be your regulator/rectifier.

#24 ·
Superduper, my ‘07 S has the exact same symptoms as yours. Although it didn’t show up all the time, it did get worse and worse. About 8 months ago the display quit altogether. I’ve been in & out of town so haven’t done more than a cursory voltage check. However, I have removed the display, sprayed contacts/plugs and actually opened the display to “inspect” the circuit board for any evident burnt spots etc. Nothing I can detect. FWIW, the bike seems to run as well as ever w/o any display at all and I’m sure I have over 2K miles on it since “going dark”. There is zero chance that I’ll spend $1200 on a new board for an older bike like this.
If I hear of anything else, I’ll try to let you know.
Stay safe

#25 ·
Hi Bunkies, I had a very similar problem on my G650GS. Weird lights and the clock reset to 12 and the trip ODO went to zero. Turned out to the the F2 fuse in my case. Started with a bad BMW plug trying to charge the battery though the accessory plug.
Check and recheck your fuses. Isn't it nice to have a computer control your bike and then loose it's mind?
Problem though, I've got fuses on the clunky G650GS and you've got the Canbus. Well maybe there is a fuse or silly assed connection that is causing your problem. Odd that a few are reporting a same issue.

#26 ·
I paid a guy that works on speedometers 175 bucks and it’s fixed, haven’t had any hiccups since I’ve gotten it back.
I thought I was in the, find one on eBay for 400 and another several hundred to bmw to pair with your bike. Said I’ll give a guy who does this stuff a chance. Took like a day or two. I’m happy with that.

#30 ·
Hi guys,

This thread is amazing and I'm glad you could solve it - I'm hoping i will to.

In short I have the same issue. Cold mornings - no display, and at all times the clock is resetting.
I want to disassemble the Display dashboard to look and the capacitors, how do you do that? after removing the windshield I couldn't figure what's next.

#31 ·
You have to take off the top side plastics, the windscreen, and then there are 4 screws, two on each side, of the headlight, that’ll drop it off, you can Unclip and unplug the unit then do what you will.

I took the battery off the other day to change the plugs and fix the gremlin cover gasket leak, noticed it wasn’t leaking thank goodness, so just did the plugs. Took bike out after that, no display at all, mother father.
Unhooked the battery reconnected, turned the key, came on, phewwww.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.